• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford-esque suit

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always thought the suits were made in the Zegna factory with one side of it being in Italy and the other side in Switzerland. Depending on which part of the factory your suit was made in would dictate the "Made in Italy" or "Made in Switzerland" label.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always thought the suits were made in the Zegna factory with one side of it being in Italy and the other side in Switzerland. Depending on which part of the factory your suit was made in would dictate the "Made in Italy" or "Made in Switzerland" label.

Well, supply chains are complicated. Note that Zegna has factories all over the world (China, Turkey, Spain etc...). My understanding is that a garment doesn't have to be completely made in Italy to have the "Made in Italy" designation. I'm not an expert on this, but here's an interesting article:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would prefer not to say, and sorry being coy. I’m not in the industry, but there’s a member here who has vastly greater knowledge on supply chains.

Coming from me, it would just be hearsay.

But the article above should give you some insight on the issue of Made in Italy.

djohns7275

Reaction score
Would prefer not to say, and sorry being coy. I’m not in the industry, but there’s a member here who has vastly greater knowledge on supply chains.

Coming from me, it would just be hearsay.

But the article above should give you some insight on the issue of Made in Italy.
I know that not everything that states that it is made in Italy is actually made in Italy . A lot brands state that their made in Italy when in reality the majority of the production is done in China or India .

Some of the less expensive made in Northampton shoe brands are now only finished in Northampton with the majority of the manufacturing process taking place in India .

I read recently read that the large Swiss watch brands are lobbying the Swiss government to lower that amount of work that has to be done in Switzerland for the watch to qualify as being made in Switzerland .

I personally have given up caring where a product is made . I am only interested in the quality of an item and not where it's made .

lupeX

Reaction score
Anyone who tells you that you can get a Tom Ford suit for less by going bespoke is telling half the truth AKA Lies.

Tom Ford fabrics and their equivalent will already place you in the ball park of the price. Fabrics from Loro Piana and Zegna. Then there are subtle techniques that not every tailor can do. It takes time and practice to execute particular details. Like in any craft, you'd be asking someone whonis trained to do a particular trick to pull off another experts trick. A good tailor will refuse rather than try.

So you van get something similar with compromises for not much less ... if you're very lucky.

Best advice - get one on sale and have it altered. That's what I did.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FitSpressCost