• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Schpacko

Reaction score
What does the "G" in "VTG" stand for? I know its

Vegetable Tanned G...

One thing i noticed: I started leather crafting about 1 year ago. One of the things i've read again and again is that you should be very careful with veg tan and oil (esp. neatsfoot oil). Apparently, it's pretty easy to over oil, which can damage the leather in the long run. As far as have read, people plan to put massive amounts of oil on their jackets. I just dont know if this is a very good idea....

malaujai

Reaction score

Quote:

Thanks dude I'm definitely enjoying it though it's a little too cold to get much wear out of it for the time being. You're lucky you moved south - perfect timing too, you left just as it started to get chilly :cheers:  anyway, hit me up when you're back in town. I think a TOJ Toronto meet-up is in order, there's so many of us here haha.

I'm down... TOJ Toronto Lookbook anyone???? :D :D

Schpacko

Reaction score
Just 2 random quotes concerning the oil issue, quoted from a leathercrafting forum:

Too much Neatsfoot oil will definitely harm the leather. Neatsfoot oil softens by breaking down the fibers of the leather. To much oil means too much breaking down. I got impatient oiling my tack as a teenager and put the reins all the way into the oil bottle. I pulled them right out and wiped them off, but the damage was done. They gradually broke down and got longer and longer till they broke. The horse thought that was great, he could reach more grass, and eventually got to go where he wanted!

Too much oil will deteriorate the strength of the leather - the fibers have nothing to hold onto ... Also, you can use any oil from animal or plant origin, but NEVER a mineral oil (I know neatsfoot compound has some mineral oils in, but my advice comes from the Leather Chemists of America).

To be honest, i dont know what exactly happens inside the leather if you put on too much oil, but if all the oldtimers keep telling, i guess there's some truth in it.

Last edited:

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm sure it got lost in the thread so I'll state is again.

For those of you who want to meet up and maybe get measured.. I might be having a meetup set for next Saturday, the 3rd sometime in the afternoon/late afternoon in New York. It'll probably be somewhere around Soho or East Village (most likely the latter).

Please email or PM me if you'd definitely want to come and state if you just want to come and hang and/or if you want to get measured too, so I can see if there's enough people to do this and to get a headcount.

Thanks,
Charly

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
it's primarily 'vintage' as it was inspired by some really old jackets I'd seen in the past, and you're right, letter stir fry there to make it 'VTG' :eek:

re: neatsfoot oil; the leather itself drinks so much oil that most people will give up oiling it after a coat or two, and just wear it. It's also gonna age better if you go moderately with the oil, as with anything.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure it got lost in the thread so I'll state is again.
For those of you who want to meet up and maybe get measured.. I might be having a meetup set for next Saturday, the 3rd sometime in the afternoon/late afternoon in New York. It'll probably be somewhere around Soho or East Village (most likely the latter).
Please email or PM me if you'd definitely want to come and state if you just want to come and hang and/or if you want to get measured too, so I can see if there's enough people to do this and to get a headcount.
Thanks,
Charly

I wish this was offered locally to me.

To all potential buyers, this is a great opportunity to eliminate the rare possibility of an ill fitting order.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Any evolution pictures of the sample VTG CM you were playing around with? 

It went back to Korea with me on my last trip, as it was a sample it went back to the lab for inspection (I'm not kidding, that was the point) :eek:

noirwest

Reaction score
Trying to decide whether I want to order a cracked pepper fishtail or duffle. Drew, I was wondering if you could comment on how warm each piece would be. I like in Milwaukee and not only is it snowy and cold in the winter, but it's exceptionally windy. It looks like from the duffle prototype pictures that it's quilted, so it should be pretty warm right? Warmer than the avg. peacoat?

EDIT: Also, can someone link me to the post where Drew said something like the new duffle wouldn't have pocket flaps, but would just be trimmed with leather? I've tried looking back several pages and to no avail.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's warm man, I honestly can't give a guarantee because that's a human condition thing. What you see in the pics can give you a good idea. After having been out recently and checking out coats, I do think the TOJ coats are almost exaggerated in their thickness and warmth compared to what else is out there. Your only other choices that I honestly think would be warmer after that are huge down puffy things or mountain coats for sports.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads