• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today I ate...

TheD0n

Reaction score
I did a fairly intense workout and my diet was:

2s (s=servings) Quaker oat square cereal
1s OJ
1 large banana
1 large, pan-fried chicken breast (about 2s)
2s brown rice
1s strawberries
1 large mixed-greens salad w/ dressing
1s carrots
1s dry-roasted peanuts
12-oz. Pepsi
2s baked potato chips
5s (~40 oz.) 1% milk

A rough calorie estimate would be 2500-3000. I ate when I was hungry, and ate healthy for the most part.

I am the same size as most others I see on this forum who are trying to put on muscle (6 foot, 168lbs). Does anyone see anything in my diet that will keep me from attaining my goals of building muscle while staying lean at the same time?

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n

1s OJ
1 large banana
2s brown rice
1s strawberries
1s carrots
1s dry-roasted peanuts
12-oz. Pepsi
2s baked potato chips
5s (~40 oz.) 1% milk

A rough calorie estimate would be 2500-3000. I ate when I was hungry, and ate healthy for the most part.

I am the same size as most others I see on this forum who are trying to put on muscle (6 foot, 168lbs). Does anyone see anything in my diet that will keep me from attaining my goals?

Really depends on what your goals are but you don't have enough protein and fat in your diet. Way too much empty calories (pepsi, chips, cereal, OJ).

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Really depends on what your goals are but you don't have enough protein and fat in your diet. Way too much empty calories (pepsi, chips, cereal, OJ).
Cereal is a whole oat grain. That is not empty. Protein intake for today was approaching 2g/kg of body weight, which is the maximum recommended for any athlete, including elite Olympic athletes. If you guys are going to give advice like "MOAR PROTEINZ!" you should at least know what you're talking about.

nomed

Reaction score
Cereal is a whole oat grain. That is not empty.

Protein intake for today was approaching 2g/kg of body weight, which is the maximum recommended for any athlete, including elite Olympic athletes.

If you guys are going to give advice like "MOAR PROTEINZ!" you should at least know what you're talking about.

Not a PE expert, but that doesn't sound right. I mean olympic level athletes need way more carbs and calories then protein for their crazy long workouts. The same isn't true for your average dude trying to put on size.

turbozed

Reaction score
Cereal is a whole oat grain. That is not empty.

Protein intake for today was approaching 2g/kg of body weight, which is the maximum recommended for any athlete, including elite Olympic athletes.

If you guys are going to give advice like "MOAR PROTEINZ!" you should at least know what you're talking about.

Incredible. This guy asks us to critique his diet and then tell us we don't know what we're talking about.

You can go ahead and worship at the altar of the FDA food pyramid of the 1970s. Make sure everything you buy is fat-free!

moron

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I eat much more than what you listed and am still having difficulty gaining weight. I'm 140lbs, 5'4", trying to get to 160lbs or so.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When playing around with my diet, one thing I found out was calc'ing total cals is easy, but an online program such as The Daily Plate will give me my macro ratios quick and easy. When I used TDP, I found I consistently over estimated my protein intake.

Also, the way you've listed it, it is a bit of a mystery as to what you ate when. The "fitness model" thread recommends only really eating carbs (esp fruits) immediately post workout. I don't see that happening here.

Too much fruit sugar. Too much lactose. Too much vegetable protein.

2s potato chips? HFCS soda? Prepackaged cereal? Idunno... seems like 500 cals of garbage. Even if you don't want to eat protein to replace that stuff, you'd do better with an avocado and old fashioned oats.

I'm no expert, these are just some thoughts. For all we know, your "intense work out" is a Wii fit, so...

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
When playing around with my diet, one thing I found out was calc'ing total cals is easy, but an online program such as The Daily Plate will give me my macro ratios quick and easy. When I used TDP, I found I consistently over estimated my protein intake. Also, the way you've listed it, it is a bit of a mystery as to what you ate when. The "fitness model" thread recommends only really eating carbs (esp fruits) immediately post workout. I don't see that happening here. Too much fruit sugar. Too much lactose. Too much vegetable protein. 2s potato chips? HFCS soda? Prepackaged cereal? Idunno... seems like 500 cals of garbage. Even if you don't want to eat protein to replace that stuff, you'd do better with an avocado and old fashioned oats. I'm no expert, these are just some thoughts. For all we know, your "intense work out" is a Wii fit, so...
I guess I should have left the chips and soda out of my list. They are not a staple in my diet, but rather an impulse purchase at Target. I agree they are empty calories. Most cereal is a form of processed corn. I specified Quaker Oats Squares, which is whole grains and contains 5g fiber and 6g protein per 1 cup serving, in addition to being fortified with vitamins and minerals (a good thing). I would not call those empty calories. I'm already in pretty good shape, especially considering a recent 6-week hiatus from exercise due to a broken patella. I just wanted to gauge other opinions on the issue of macronutrient intake, my goal is essentially 40-40-20. I also know quite a bit about nutrition from a class in college. Too much lactose doesn't really make sense as it is a readily available source of animal protein (although the amount of sugar does add up). Vegetables are generally all carbs and don't contain notable amounts of protein. The milk and chicken I ate contain equal 100g of protein alone. Add in the other stuff and I consumed roughly 130g to my 75kg of body weight. I don't know how much protein you guys consume (I'm guessing too much), but any more protein and it would simply put needless stress on my kidneys due to the excess nitrogen. This is why protein supplements are generally a waste of money because it is not difficult to get sufficient protein. Also, the body needs protein immediately post workout in order to start repairing muscle. Fruit contains no protein. I don't know what the "fitness model" is talking about and he seems to be giving advice based on what has worked for him, not on how the body actually works. My knowledge comes from a PhD in nutritional science and I view this as a more credible source than most people giving the "MOAR PROTEINZ" advice here. Maybe this is the wrong place for my questions and I should just track my diet online.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have left the chips and soda out of my list. They are not a staple in my diet, but rather an impulse purchase at Target. I agree they are empty calories.

Most cereal is a form of processed corn. I specified Quaker Oats Squares, which is whole grains and contains 5g fiber and 6g protein per 1 cup serving, in addition to being fortified with vitamins and minerals (a good thing). I would not call those empty calories.

I'm already in pretty good shape, especially considering a recent 6-week hiatus from exercise due to a broken patella. I just wanted to gauge other opinions on the issue of macronutrient intake, my goal is essentially 40-40-20.

I also know quite a bit about nutrition from a class in college. Too much lactose doesn't really make sense as it is a readily available source of animal protein (although the amount of sugar does add up). Vegetables are generally all carbs and don't contain notable amounts of protein.

The milk and chicken I ate contain equal 100g of protein alone. Add in the other stuff and I consumed roughly 130g to my 75kg of body weight. I don't know how much protein you guys consume (I'm guessing too much), but any more protein and it would simply put needless stress on my kidneys due to the excess nitrogen. This is why protein supplements are generally a waste of money because it is not difficult to get sufficient protein.

Also, the body needs protein immediately post workout in order to start repairing muscle. Fruit contains no protein. I don't know what the "fitness model" is talking about and he seems to be giving advice based on what has worked for him, not on how the body actually works. My knowledge comes from a PhD in nutritional science and I view this as a more credible source than most people giving the "MOAR PROTEINZ" advice here. Maybe this is the wrong place for my questions and I should just track my diet online.

lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1s OJ
1 large banana
2s brown rice
1s strawberries
1s carrots
1s dry-roasted peanuts
12-oz. Pepsi
2s baked potato chips
5s (~40 oz.) 1% milk

I am the same size as most others I see on this forum who are trying to put on muscle (6 foot, 168lbs). Does anyone see anything in my diet that will keep me from attaining my goals of building muscle while staying lean at the same time?

Looks fine.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Damn that's a LOT of milk.

I had more after I posted last night. Making it almost a half gallon for the day, which is not usual.

I have heard that in order to make muscle gains you should drink an additional half gallon of milk to what you normally drink, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads