• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Figured I'd share a diet that has been working well for me...

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I missed all the "world-renowned and peer-reviewed-journal-published physiologists, nutritionists and physicians" evidence you put forth in support of your claims. From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15936428
I haven't claimed anything. I'm just wondering where you're getting this "information," or as the case may be, where you're making your misinterpretations from. Indeed, no clear evidence shows that the skipping of breakfast or lunch (or both) is unhealthy So you automatically take that to mean that skipping breakfast or lunch (or both) is therefore healthy? Does your so-called "grad program" not require courses in critical thinking?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many people have had great success with forms of intermittent dieting, especially when it comes to fat loss. I want to emphasis fat loss, because it's not simply a case of dropping scale weight. In fact, a lot drop the fat without seeing the scale move much at all. These people aren't eating breakfast and in many cases, not eating lunch, either.

Ultimately, it's about hitting the right macros for the day. There's more than one road to take to get there.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
Indeed, no clear evidence shows that the skipping of breakfast or lunch (or both) is unhealthy

So you automatically take that to mean that skipping breakfast or lunch (or both) is therefore healthy? Does your so-called "grad program" not require courses in critical thinking?

Sorry thought you were the poster I was originally replying too.

Where did I say it was healthy? I was showing lack of evidence for it's benefits, which the poster I was replying to was suggesting, that breakfast and increased meal frequency were beneficial.

If you want more evidence there you go:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...?dopt=Abstract

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Many people have had great success with forms of intermittent dieting, especially when it comes to fat loss. I want to emphasis fat loss, because it's not simply a case of dropping scale weight. In fact, a lot drop the fat without seeing the scale move much at all. These people aren't eating breakfast and in many cases, not eating lunch, either.

Ultimately, it's about hitting the right macros for the day. There's more than one road to take to get there.

I have no doubt that different things work for different people, from just black coffee and cigarettes for runway models to more traditional well-rounded diet and exercise for others, and everything in between.

I'm just saying, be careful of what you read and take for gospel. I see a lot of people jumping on bandwagons and regurgitating BS they read somewhere without really understanding what they're doing and why. I'm a bit on the extreme as far as knowledge goes -- I'm a western trained M.D. with a special interest in nutrition and preventative medicine. I know what works best for me, as someone who's pushing 40 and still looks like this (taken a month ago):

20110207001.jpg

and I know that what I do might not work best for you. But at least do your research, there's so much BS in this thread alone.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was a six-meal-a-day kind of guy for many years, with breakfast and my meal post-workout being the two largest. It worked to an extent, but it was too easy to overeat and even when I didn't, I often felt bloated and lethargic.

I was skeptical about fasting for most of the day, since I was convinced you absolutely needed food in your system to function throughout the day. With the rare off day, I've followed some form of fasting every day since August and I love it.

My diet has never been more on-point, my focus during the day hasn't been hindered, my performance in the gym continues to get better, and most importantly, I feel really good physically. What I'm doing goes against a lot of nutritional dogma, but after giving it a fair shake, I can say there's enough merit to it for some people to give it a shot if they're curious.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Sorry thought you were the poster I was originally replying too.

Where did I say it was healthy? I was showing lack of evidence for it's benefits, which the poster I was replying to was suggesting, that breakfast and increased meal frequency were beneficial.

If you want more evidence there you go:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...?dopt=Abstract

OK, so what we have is a misunderstanding, sorry. Regardless, I lump it in the same end of the playing field as DHA Omega-3 additives and organic foods. There is no conclusive evidence to suggest that either of these offer any significant benefit over their conventional equivalents, but since there is likewise no conclusive evidence that they are harmful, I will offer DHA milk and organic eggs to my children. Same idea. But in this case I've done the research and I know what the potential benefits (eye and brain health, lack of harm from pesticides) vs. risks (complete waste of money) are, and I'm willing to live with that based on facts.

I personally feel better, more invigorated and less hungry (and therefore less likely to overeat later in the day) if I have a healthy breakfast, and I split my food intake into 5 or so smaller meals a day because that's what feels right to me. The proof, to me, is in the mirror -- I look better today at almost 40 than I did back in college. But that's just me, and yes, I know it's just one of the many personal internet anecdotes I warned you about.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally feel better, more invigorated and less hungry (and therefore less likely to overeat later in the day) if I have a healthy breakfast, and I split my food intake into 5 or so smaller meals a day because that's what feels right to me.

Now this is the important bit. With meal frequency, a lot of it boils down to simple personal preference - I for instance find IF easy, as I've never been keen on having breakfast and such. Having done the bodyduilder 5-meal a day approach, the IF schedule just works better for me and I'm happy with that. IIRC most studies that looked at the benefits of having breakfast failed to control for diet, thus affecting the results as ppl not having breakfast were found to be the ones with unhealthier diets to begin with.

And although one finds a lot of stuff toting the benefits of fasting on, say, Berkhans site, I personally think the real benefits to IF are a looser schedule and the opportunity to eat bigger (& more satiating) meals.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Now this is the important bit. With meal frequency, a lot of it boils down to simple personal preference

+1. I'm definitely a Breakfast person, but I know plenty of people who do fine without it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using the Inuit as an example is a little ridiculous; their wild-caught game and the fact that they don't let any parts of the animal go to waste is the reason their diet works for them. They thankfully are still clinging to their tradition of taking and eating only what is needed, and they work (hunt) for their food, unlike the average American who walks into the freezer section of the supermarket to grab a 12-pack of burger patties and is done, and returns (drives) home to park their supersized asses back in front of the TV with a 3000-calorie quadruple quarter pounder and fries, and a can of beer or soda. For Vitamin C in particular, enough of it is found in the liver, skin, and brain of their game (parts which are thrown away or used as animal/pet feed in the U.S.) that the traditional Inuit don't need to get it from fresh vegetables. On the other hand, the few Inuit who have assimilated and adopted the so-called "American" way of living and eating have the same rates of obesity and heart disease as the rest of the population. So unless you really do live and eat like a traditional Inuit, eating every part (raw) of the wild game you stalk and kill yourself, then using them as "proof" that just eating the processed and steroid-grown supermarket garbage that passes for meat in this country is good for you is a little delusional and misguided. Your post is the perfect example of why people have to be careful of what they read on teh interwebz. High time to start learning some facts.
My point was not to encourage one to adopt the lifestyle of an Inuit tribesman, but rather provide evidence that a low carbohydrate diet is not necessarily a vitamin/nutrient deficient one that most tend to believe it to be; that it may be the presence of something in the diet causing any deficiencies, rather than the lack of fruits and vegetables. I am not using the Inuit as proof that eating processed anything, or the cellophane wrapped "meat" you find at your average supermarket is safe for consumption. Please don't put words in my mouth.

kcosner

Reaction score
Hi to all. This is a good discussion.Escheriff congrats, your way of eating looks really healthy and works well for you. My way of eating is very similar to yours. You make great points mm and tt. The Zone diet (lifestyle) I follow has enabled me to stay 20 lbs lighter from 210 to 190 at 5-9 1/2. I'm 55 years old and keeping pounds off by following the Zone has worked the best for me. My primary care physician follows it and he recommended it to me. Has anyone here at SF tried it or is familiar with it? You eat healthy protein, vegetables, and a little healthy fat with every meal. Your carbs come from the vegetables you are eating. I believe its sustainable. You are cutting out carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, and sugar and are instead eating vegetables which are low glycemic. You eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks which are like small meals so you are not hungry. Breakfast is required I believe because of metabolic considerations. I like the book Mastering The Zone by Dr. Barry Sears. Most people miss eating bread after a while. There are low carb breads and sandwich wraps available at health food markets. Even if you follow Atkins or the paleo diet I highly recommend learning about The Zone diet because to me it works and its sustainable because it is healthy.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kevin, is that you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads