• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time to play guess the designer

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who lives the closest?

Brian SD

Reaction score
We have at least two members here who live in Tokyo, so it wouldn't be a matter of long distance if they came across this thread and were willing to call.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have at least two members here who live in Tokyo, so it wouldn't be a matter of long distance if they came across this thread and were willing to call.
We could PM them and ask them to take a look in to it. Who are they?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Well, since my guess was a mix of Etro and Barbera and they carry Barbera I'll still go for that choice. Now let's just find somebody who can call before the thread ends up in a racial slur war. Personnally I think it's a nice jacket, if you're a grey haired gentleman taking a walk in the country. I fail to see how it would suit a Tokyoite though...but like always some people could surprise me with their amazing sense of style and "pull off" this garment pretty well.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PHV,

I don't buy your argument, that's the same thing as saying "well where I'm from everyone calls black people n*ggers, and we call anyone else who is poor n*ggers as well. Just because other people do it doesn't justify it.

Regarding the jacket, I think Pal Zileri may be it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 07 Jan. 2005, 11:36) So, it is probably Italian. Jon.
Does it mean that, in your opinion, the store label would not consider "copying" an Italian design? Any reason why not?
Law of probability is all, if most of the items carried by the store are of Italian origin, than it stands to reason that there is a greater prospect of the item in question being made in the country in question. Thus, I said: "So, it is probably Italian." Probably is not certainty. Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Heron @ 07 Jan. 2005, 04:58)
Originally Posted by Phil,07 Jan. 2005, 04:22
Using the excuse that in Canada that what you call "jackass" type guys is kind of a silly excuse. PHV, Im sure you meant nothing by it, but I am telling you that its pretty offensive.
I can assure you it's not a Canada thing - it's a derogatory phrase - period.
Absolutely incorrect. Any person around here who dresses with a popped collar, an $80 vintage t-shirt, puma's, and one of those rediculous faux hawks (or a vondutch hat worn slightly to the side) will quite readily be called a gino. Whether they are Italian, Arab, French Canadian or what have you. In fact the most common perpatrators are Americans comming here over the weekend. I meant absolutely nothing racist by it. It is a look. Just like the "All American Jackass". Again, I see no one getting up in arms about something that could clearly be taken as a racial slur against Americans. Or how about the word "Chav", slung about like a common word on this board. It is refering to a lower white class, and is in itself very derogatory. So don't give me all this hoopla. About the jacket, I still maintain that it is something like Etro. The most sought after brand of the type of person I have been describing.
Um, I assume "˜chav' stands for Charvet, correct? If so, it would hardly be a derogatory term. There is a distinction between calling a particular person(s) for what ever reason a derogatory term and shortening the name of a brand to facilitate typing. Thus, you get RLPL (Ralph Lauren Purple Label) H&K (Hilditch & Key) and T&A (Turnbull & Asser). Alas, if your argument held water with the other members of the forum, the use of T&A, which can be interpreted as **** and Ass would have long banished from the forum. Jon.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chav doesn't stand for Charvet, there was a post yesterday that outlined the definition but noone really knows what the origin of the term is, it basically means something like american jackass.

'chav' (slang) - a young person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion; Chavs usually wear designer labels including the chav favourite 'Burberry', and if they're girls, very short skirts, large hoop earrings and stilettos.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chav doesn't stand for Charvet, there was a post yesterday that outlined the definition but noone really knows what the origin of the term is, it basically means something like american jackass
I see, so his (PHV) argument is a term no one knows what it stands for?

Like I said: PHV's remarks were derogatory.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jeez, i'll call them wait a sec it's 541am right now
biggrin.gif
Jon. P.S. I'm sure They would take a call from big American customer at 5:41 a.m.

PHV

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ 07 Jan. 2005, 3:13) Chav doesn't stand for Charvet, there was a post yesterday that outlined the definition but noone really knows what the origin of the term is, it basically means something like american jackass
I see, so his (PHV) argument is a term no one knows what it stands for? Like I said: PHV's remarks were derogatory. Jon.
Ummm no, "chav" gets used here a lot. Open your eyes.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 07 Jan. 2005, 12:18)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,07 Jan. 2005, 3:13
Chav doesn't stand for Charvet, there was a post yesterday that outlined the definition but noone really knows what the origin of the term is, it basically means something like american jackass
I see, so his (PHV) argument is a term no one knows what it stands for? Like I said: PHV's remarks were derogatory. Jon.
Ummm no, "chav" gets used here a lot. Open your eyes.
Funny, you want ME to open my eyes after what you posted? Jon.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting, we've got one thread where people find it funny to use the trendy word "chav" (ie--low-class whitefolk or in American the ever present term "hick" or "redneck") slur, even adding it to their vocabulary. But PHV brings up "gino" and he catches hell for it.

double standard? I think so.

Be careful PHV the PC police might come knocking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads