• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie knot - what do you guys think

Haqq

Reaction score
Yea thats my favourite knot. Thanks for the pics.

Patrician

Reaction score
Isn't that the 'Pratt' tieknot?

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Isn't that the 'Pratt' tieknot?

No. I tie a Pratt almost everyday. The seams should be facing outwards when you start.

Jaxson612

Reaction score
That's the knot my Dad taught me about 45 years ago. Still use it regularly.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Hmm.. using the Fink-Mao nomenclature, your tie knot is Li Co Ri Lo Ri Co That's distinct from the half-Windsor Li Ro Ci Lo Ri Co (or Ro Li Co finish in the other direction) It's not one of the 14 knots Fink and Mao reported. I wonder why they didn't consider it a "useful" knot. Yours does meet the conditions of symmetry and balance.. am I missing something?
Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Anyone know wtf I'm talking about?

I'm afraid not.. but I was assuming that was because of my relative inexperience with all this stuff.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Yep you've tied my knot of choice:

Photo_012009_028.jpg

how do you get it nice and tight at the bottom of the knot but loose at the top?

I can't seem to get the bottom of my knots very tight, which really causes my dimples to suck.

is it just me or does the narrow end of the tie also get pushed to the side sometimes?

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
how do you get it nice and tight at the bottom of the knot but loose at the top?

I can't seem to get the bottom of my knots very tight, which really causes my dimples to suck.

is it just me or does the narrow end of the tie also get pushed to the side sometimes?

What I do (and this is by no means the best way, just something that works for me), is hold the knot with my left fingers and tug down on the fabric below the base of the knot (right where the dimple should be) with my right fingers. If you want the top to be wider, tug on the two ends under your collar.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn
What I do (and this is by no means the best way, just something that works for me), is hold the knot with my left fingers and tug down on the fabric below the base of the knot (right where the dimple should be) with my right fingers. If you want the top to be wider, tug on the two ends under your collar.
thanks, I'll give it a shot. my knots look so horrible. I really need help. do you recommend one knot over another? I usually tie the half-windsor but I'm getting tired of poor results. I might go with Pratt, Nicky, or something similar.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
thanks, I'll give it a shot. my knots look so horrible. I really need help.

do you recommend one knot over another? I usually tie the half-windsor but I'm getting tired of poor results. I might go with Pratt, Nicky, or something similar.

Start a thread and post some pics... I'm sure guys here would love to help.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn

Yeah that just about sums it up. Although I sometimes will cinch the bottom of the knot down by grabbing the bottom edges from both sides then pinch and cinch it into place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads