• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie basics 101

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see nothing wrong with the 4th tie. It looks to me like a Macclesfield, a traditional English pattern:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9336/of-macclesfield-ties-fudge-welts

Certainly nothing wrong with it at all. When I said it's questionable, I meant that in the context of a "top five most versatile ties list", which is what the majority of the discussion in this thread has been about. Also note that this tie is not a Macclesfield, like pinkpanther mentioned.

PP, nice to see you in this thread. :)

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe I own the first 4 ties that Ennius lists. I have posted a pic of the 4th one in action in the Hober thread. I certainly respect the opinions of Archibaldleach and Flyswatter, but I think your #4 is a worthy tie in any collection.

To clarify, I have no objection to the 4th tie being in good taste or worth owning. I just am not sure that it is the best choice for one's first five Hobers.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Certainly nothing wrong with it at all. When I said it's questionable, I meant that in the context of a "top five most versatile ties list", which is what the majority of the discussion in this thread has been about. Also note that this tie is not a Macclesfield, like pinkpanther mentioned.

PP, nice to see you in this thread. :)

+1. I see you beat me to the punch on this one.

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Anyone have experience with Seigo neckwear in NYC? Sounds like interesting Japanese silk ties make in small batches (10 total?!). Not sure if they have basics though, as I am not really looking for more exotic stuff.

http://seigoneckwear.blogspot.co.uk/

Any idea where one can check out the good Naples ties in NYC? I dont like ordering online without seeing the product in person.

I like me first two Hober ties!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a really nice linen tie from Seigo over a year ago. The silk patterns are too bold fore.

Barney's and BG stock Marinella. The Kiton store stocks ties.

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
just picked up a nice black/silver solid silk tie from Seigo. This will be my somber tie - for serious occasions and funerals.

They have some really interesting stuff - basics and way beyond. Some really fun whimsical stuff, too. any fans here? They are all silk made in Japan. Only carried in their NYC stores from what I can see. They have a great chocolate brown solid with herringbone texture that I want, too.

Once I get a few more I will post my top 6 and see what folks think. See if I am learning....

ManuelRacim

Reaction score
If you were forced, by whatever circumstance, to own the bare minimum amount of ties, I think you would be hard pressed to find any situation where one of these five didn't do the trick:

Navy Pindot
Burgundy Grenadine
Prince of Wales Check
Your choice of brighter Regiment/Repp/Clubb
Your choice of earthy Madder/Foulard/Geometric

From there you could build and add whichever one-offs bring out the best in your particular suit/shirt/shoe combos.

Poncho1992

Reaction score
Just bought my first lot of ties for my new job (conservative business office). Tried to get colours as close as possible, but for reference, the last picture with all the ties in the bag is the best reflection of true colours. All ties are Chester Barrie, made in Italy (apart from madder which is made in England) and were in a massive sale reduced from £75 to £20 each (apart from the madder one, that was £35).

Also waiting on a delivery this week from Exquisite Trimmings for these 2 Drake's ties: http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties/Navy-Woven-Grenadine-Mohair-Blend-Tie.html and http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties/Navy-Subtle-Wide-Stripe-Grenadine-Tie.html

These are collectively the only ties I own. How do they rate? Bear in mind the choice I had wasn't great, as I live in an area very poor for shopping. If people wouldn't mind saying, which would look better with white shirts, and which with light blue? To be worn with a navy and charcoal suits.

Last edited:

Poncho1992

Reaction score
White linen square also from Exquisite Trimmings, thought I would throw it in there as it is also a recent purchase.. Hopefully I won't be too poorly dressed for my first day at work! Which of the above is best for the first day? I'm going with the navy suit and was thinking light blue shirt navy tie and pocket square with black Meermin classic cap toe oxfords (going to be in London).

Ennius

Reaction score
Poncho,

I am not a pro like some here but like your collection. You have covered your basics -

Solids - navy blue, charcoal/grey, burgandy and powder blue. Nice herringbone texture I think.

Pindots - navy, brown and green ( bigger dots). I really like the brown.

Rep ties - several ones. I really like the grey and white.

Geometric pattern.

Ameboe pattern. I really dont like this but as long as you do.

My advice is go with these for several months and see how they do. Then add slowly as you see the need. You will probably have a sharper sense of what works after using this rotation for a while.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poncho, that's a pretty great starting collection. The only one I don't care for is the solid light blue, especially as it seems rather shiny. Also would have preferred the solids to be grenadine or something else with a bit more texture. @Ennius, those solids aren't herringbone, looks like reppe twill to me.

As for the question about white shirt vs. light blue shirt, pretty much any of these ties will work with either, except for the light blue tie which I would only wear with a white shirt.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poncho, this is a pretty good start. I won't rehash the whole black tie discussion from earlier in this thread, but I do think that would be something good to acquire in the near future. I would reserve the light blue tie and what appears to be a silver tie with stripes for white shirts. The rest can be worn with light blue shirts. Anything in burgundy, brown or green looks better with light blue than white IMO.

Ennius

Reaction score
Flyswatter,

How does one distinguish reppe twill versus herringbone on a tie? I dont think I know the difference.....

Ennius

Reaction score
Flyswatter,

I just found a good link here that explained it, at least I think. One can toggle through different twills and herringbone on the tie pattern pictured.

http://williamturner.tiedesigner.co.uk/

But can I trouble you to look at these two ties? They dont look that different (texture not color!). I guess there are different degrees of herringbone texture? And you see it more in a tie with a bit of color contrast that highlights the herringbone pattern versus a solid color? But the third looks much more herringbone.

'herringbone'
http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_krw_205.html

'textured'
http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_krw_210.html

very herringbone
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...a=X&ei=5R1xUsfUD6XmsAT75YGIBQ&ved=0CFQQ9QEwBA

I love herringbone in a tie but I think I starting to see why you suggest more texture in a solid tie as the herringbone (or twill) texture can be hard to see. What other textures do you like besides herringbone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads