1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tie basics 101

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ennius, Sep 18, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I prefer my midnight and navy ties with grey suits generally, but a monochromatic look can work sometimes. It's probably a better look with a grey suit, but I could see a tie with a midnight base work with a navy suit. I think you might want to try seeing how the tie and suit look next to each other. If you go this route, please wear a white shirt; blue on blue on blue is really hard to pull off.

1 person likes this.
  2. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Thanks Archibald.

A related question - if you were going to add one rep tie to your basic tie collection, you probably want a flexible one. Say one that works with solid navy, charcoal and gray suits. Any thoughts on such a rep tie?

3. archibaldleach

This is a bit more difficult and depends on your preferences. I really prefer ties that are primarily blue, white or black to wear with white shirts. The best base color for tie to be worn with a white shirt with either a navy or grey suit is light blue IMO. Black ties with stripes just seem wrong to me and I feel similarly about most grey ties. I'd probably want a white stripe here, though I can see an argument for a yellow / gold stripe. If you are wearing a blue shirt with the rep tie, then I think the most obvious base color is burgundy (or at least dark red). You can do a lot with this and a simple stripe won't create the same matching issues that a tie that is predominantly the color of your suit might.

I can see a dark green base working here too but not for your first rep tie. I also have a lilac tie with thin white and navy stripes that I like a lot, but it's not exactly what I think of when I think of a traditional rep tie.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Burgundy or navy base. Whatever secondary colors catch your fancy. Or just throw caution to the wind and pick one you like.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. gummybear00

gummybear00 New Member

I'd imagine you want a powder blue tie like Kevin Spacey from House of Cards (for trust) and a red tie (for power) ?? Everything else is filler imo.

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Where does one buy ties that can hypnotize people, overriding the thousand other subtle cues we give that allow people to determine if we're trustworthy or powerful?

7. archibaldleach

Not sure whether this is serious or not since it's so obviously wrong. Burgundy or navy are also beyond obvious choices in this context and certainly are not "filler."

8. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Thanks for the insight, Gents.

I put on my charcoal suit today and considered my new Hober tie - Midnight Blue with pindots - pic below. Very nice tie but as my wife said, you are dressed for a funeral.

Alas, can I ask two questions:

(1) What suit colors does this tie work with? mid or light grey? Navy glue should give the funeral look, too. I like this tie but am not sure what to wear it with.

(2) What 'basic' ties goes well with the charcoal solid suit? Burgundy, grey plaid, brown, darker silver, shepherds check or gingham (black/white, blue/white) like we discussed earlier..? I suppose you want to counter the darkness of the suit with a bit of color? Same basic rules with a navy suit? I ask as my main suits are navy blue, charcoal and mid grey.

As always thanks

[​IMG]

9. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Gents,

One more question regarding brown ties. I want a grenadine Hober and am trying to figure a good shade. Thoughts between these three shades?
    (1) Chocolate
    (2) Dark Chocolate
    (3) Bitter Chocolate

Sounds like we are ordering deserts!

My instincts are the bitter chocolate is too dark, especially given my three solid suits - navy, charcoal and mid grey. Number (1) looks best to me as it has a nice warm feel, but I also realize Hober ties tend to be lighter than their pictures. I need to find this one in the Hober thread. If so then perhaps (2) is a good shade?

PPanther, among others, probably owns all three. Any thoughts?

(1) Grossa Chocolate

[​IMG]

(2) Dark Chocolate Grossa Grenadine

[​IMG]

(3) Bitter Chocolate Fina Grenadine

[​IMG]

10. archibaldleach

1) I don't get the funeral comment re: the midnight pindot with a charcoal suit. I think it looks fine. I suppose I like the tie a bit better with a medium grey suit and probably wear it with my medium grey SB or medium grey flannel DB most often, but I don't think it looks bad with charcoal. Maybe try it with a light blue shirt when you wear a charcoal suit with it.

2) Your selections are good ones, though I prefer a lighter silver / grey with charcoal vs. a darker silver / grey. Don't underestimate a pink tie in this context as well with an appropriate light blue shirt. Also light blue ties work well with charcoal and a white shirt.

3) I own the dark chocolate grossa and like it quite a bit. I thought it would be more versatile than the bitter chocolate which I have a swatch of (but in grossa, not fina) and thought that the regular chocolate grossa was a bit light.

1 person likes this.
  11. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Just about anything will go with a charcoal suit. That's largely what makes it so classic.

Cheers,

Ac

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

I have two of the three and posted pics of them in the Hober thread.

13. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Thanks Archibald and PPanther.

I think the dark chocolate probably makes more sense than the chocolate, though I like it, too.

Light blue on charcoal or navy suits sounds very good, too. Pink? Any specific ties in mind?

14. archibaldleach

I have and like the Hober pink diamond weave tie. I believe there's a pink oxford weave that's a bit more subtle, though I like that one less. Another option is the silver / pink grenadine Garza, but it's not a true pink tie.

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

How about Land's End?

16. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I admit I haven't finished the thread yet, and feel free to clobber me if this has been covered, but what about terminology, like "Repp", "Foulard", etc... Can someone point me toward a discussion that covers this stuff?

17. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

The one and only tie I ever purchased from Lands' End was promptly returned. It was paper thin, would not hold a dimple, and the knot wouldn't stay tight. Of course, that's not to say that this is characteristic of all their ties, but I doubt I'll ever give them a second chance.

This should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about ties: http://putthison.com/tagged/The-Necktie-Series

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  18. topos

topos Senior member

Their knits are good, especially since you can regularly get one for 30-40% off.

19. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

20. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

I want the Prince of Wales/plaid tie.

I am interested in folks' views on these two.

The first is the Sam Hober worn by PPanther.

The second and third are by Drake's and navy blue/white which is a bit different. I like them both but lean towards Hober as it will be my size and is a bit more traditional in color, i think.

But would one conclude both are beautiful and deserve to be in a core set of ties, but probably not both unless you have many ties?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]