• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Appreciation

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Some recent ties. Where I used to prefer more complicated floral and paisley patterns, I've started moving towards simple but striking designs. Picked up a liking for printed silks with substantial interlinings too. They make great knots.

ties_11.jpg

From top to bottom : Cesare Attolini, Turnbull & Asser, Canali, , Turnbull & Asser, Kiton, Turnbull & Asser, Barba, Kiton

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Meh, Eh, Nice, Hmm, Ok, Eh, Hmm, Nice

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
You would like the wool tie.

The Attolini and the Barba came up terrible in the photograph, they look better. I promise.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion on these ties is:
1.nice
2.boring
3.more boring
4.weird pattern
5.I like it, not sure why
6.I would wear it
7.nice neutral design
8.looks old

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of any of the ties. They just don't have that "Wow" factor that would make something of "Appreciation" quality.

A good example that just because it's got a tag that says "I'm the greatest ITALIAN hand-made brand that cost more than the average car and therefore must command much respect", the merchandise is not necessary wearable.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
When they're part of a deliberate attempt to understated, wow factor is generally going to be low. Probably underwhelming when all combined, but I find they're all quite effective against brightly coloured shirts. I have heaps of busy ties already, this is to create a bit of variation. The ties were all purchased for the patterns, brand had nothing to do with it beyond a guarantee of quality construction.

Although to be honest I've never worn #6. I got it from eBay and the colour came out different from what I expected.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the first and the second to last. I think the ones with brown in them all seem 70s-ish to me for some reason. The second, third, fourth are what I am referring to. The last one reminds me of a tattoo. I think brighter paisley is okay. But the colors are too dark.

But I agree with you, you have to show them with a shirt as background and it may possibly work. But I think you'd have to work hard to get the right tie/shirt combo with the tie pattern/color you are working with. I think the first and 7th are the easiest to match with shirts. But the first one, even though it is playful, it would require a very nice texture to convince me of buying it.

The 2nd and 5th seem to have nice texture. But I've always thought ties were something so superfluous that it was just another detail that allowed you to be playful. And these colors just don't do it for me.

The fourth one, I don't know about the pattern. It is strange.

The 6th, although wearable, is a tie that I see too often. The color scheme is just too neutral and safe. That would have been nice in something purple or green.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about maybe taking another photograph with the ties going in the vertical direction and in the correct orientation? There's a general way that diagonally striped ties tend to go (in terms of which side the descend from) and maybe we can make better judgements if the ties were in their correct orientation. It appears they are going counter-parallel.

But I must say, the second one, the texture seems very, very nice.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
you have to show them with a shirt as background

I agree with this. Also, I find will all the ties jumbled together, it makes it a little hard to judge each one on its merits. As well, the sideways camera photo makes it hard cause the tie patterns are rotated 90 degrees. Like, I find myself turning my head sideways to look at the ties.

I like the 1st and the 7th though. The other ones I can't really tell.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes183.jpg

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still puzzled why anyone would spend more than $150 for a tie. That said, I do love Zegna and Borelli.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I'm still puzzled why anyone would spend more than $150 for a tie. That said, I do love Zegna and Borelli.

I`m still puzzled why anyone would spend a lot less on a bunch of cheap ones. (I would rather have a small selection of good ones, even if I had to pay more)

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
ties_11.jpg

From top to bottom : Cesare Attolini, Turnbull & Asser, Canali, , Turnbull & Asser, Kiton, Turnbull & Asser, Barba, Kiton

mmmm
no way
the best of the bunch
no way
OK
mmmm
mmmm
OK

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I`m still puzzled why anyone would spend a lot less on a bunch of cheap ones. (I would rather have a small selection of good ones, even if I had to pay more)

+1 - Agreed

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
Some recent ties. Where I used to prefer more complicated floral and paisley patterns, I've started moving towards simple but striking designs. Picked up a liking for printed silks with substantial interlinings too. They make great knots.

ties_11.jpg

#3 is nice - the rest I don't care for.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L