• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifted Shoes - Critique! Comment! Advise!

Kurt N

Reaction score
To me, in the photo the welt on the longwings looks synthetic, so I don't think they're top quality. But it's a classic look, happens to be very in right now as well, and for that price they're a great find even if the quality is only so-so. I would be very pleased to have snagged them.

I would find a good local guy to do the resoling, though. Send-away resoling/recrafting is worth the expense only for high-quality shoes.

+1 on what others have said about not getting weird with the color on them.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
ftfy

btw, the other two's are more than decent. a good start indeed.

Sometimes I think you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.

Those boots should go. The others can be re-soled but it's probably just as well that you wear a hole in them and thrift another pair.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the problem here is that you missed the sweet spot of the value curve. you want shoes that are barely used, that have depreciated a good deal from their new value. but if they are so beat up that they need a resole or have already formed to someone else's feet...it's not worth it. because...

you can find shoes like I described above for < $50 on ebay or here on buy/sell. find 2 of these, something quality like a Florsheim and Hanover. wear 1 one day, the other the next day. rinse, wash, repeat until you can afford something new. this will happen before your shoes die, I guarantee it.

that is a far better option than collecting a whole bunch of beat up shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Sometimes I think you disagree just for the sake of disagreeing.

Those boots should go. The others can be re-soled but it's probably just as well that you wear a hole in them and thrift another pair.

i don't care what you think.

let alone that you think that the longwings need a recraft tells me a lot about your cluelessness. ty

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
Well, I'm sure that plenty of folks here will feel that you got a great deal...

...I was in college in 1969-1973...I worked part time for $1.60 an hour...I NEVER bought a pair of used shoes, but if you're happy with them, that's really all that matters.

+1. When you don't make a lot or come from money, you do the best you can with what you've got...

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
the problem here is that you missed the sweet spot of the value curve. you want shoes that are barely used, that have depreciated a good deal from their new value. but if they are so beat up that they need a resole or have already formed to someone else's feet...it's not worth it. because...

you can find shoes like I described above for < $50 on ebay or here on buy/sell. find 2 of these, something quality like a Florsheim and Hanover. wear 1 one day, the other the next day. rinse, wash, repeat until you can afford something new. this will happen before your shoes die, I guarantee it.

ie, like all of these

Knucklehead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer

good point. But I'd still keep all of these for this price. For a college kid, these will be good for going to bars, getting trashed, and other scholarly activities.

ktrp

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure local guys where I am you're still paying 80-100+ for a full resole. If they are my used shoes, its well worth it, if they are someone else's used shoes, its probably cheaper to just get another pair of used shoes.

Otherwise you're doing the equivalent of buying a car for $400 that needs $8000 in work. If you love the car it might make sense, but its not a value play.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl

let alone that you think that the longwings need a recraft tells me a lot about your cluelessness. ty

And I quote: Would it be possible (and financially feasible) to have this pair resoled?

Quite frankly, you do not know if they do or do not need a resole, it's impossible to tell from those pictures and without seeing them in person. So instead of trying to be outspoken just for the hell of it, get off your high-horse and add some value to this forum or GTFO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads