1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thrifted Shoes - Critique! Comment! Advise!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by epic raccoon, Feb 25, 2011.

1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

the problem here is that you missed the sweet spot of the value curve. you want shoes that are barely used, that have depreciated a good deal from their new value. but if they are so beat up that they need a resole or have already formed to someone else's feet...it's not worth it. because...

you can find shoes like I described above for < $50 on ebay or here on buy/sell. find 2 of these, something quality like a Florsheim and Hanover. wear 1 one day, the other the next day. rinse, wash, repeat until you can afford something new. this will happen before your shoes die, I guarantee it.

that is a far better option than collecting a whole bunch of beat up shoes.

ie, like all of these

2. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

Is it only in SW&D that posters get berated for not posting in the correct thread?

3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Senior member

the problem here is that you missed the sweet spot of the value curve. you want shoes that are barely used, that have depreciated a good deal from their new value. but if they are so beat up that they need a resole or have already formed to someone else's feet...it's not worth it. because...

you can find shoes like I described above for < $50 on ebay or here on buy/sell. find 2 of these, something quality like a Florsheim and Hanover. wear 1 one day, the other the next day. rinse, wash, repeat until you can afford something new. this will happen before your shoes die, I guarantee it.

that is a far better option than collecting a whole bunch of beat up shoes.

good point. But I'd still keep all of these for this price. For a college kid, these will be good for going to bars, getting trashed, and other scholarly activities.

4. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

I'm pretty sure local guys where I am you're still paying 80-100+ for a full resole. If they are my used shoes, its well worth it, if they are someone else's used shoes, its probably cheaper to just get another pair of used shoes.

Otherwise you're doing the equivalent of buying a car for $400 that needs $8000 in work. If you love the car it might make sense, but its not a value play.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

There is nothing like a brand new pair of shoes. Save your money, son.

6. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

let alone that you think that the longwings need a recraft tells me a lot about your cluelessness. ty

And I quote: Would it be possible (and financially feasible) to have this pair resoled?

Quite frankly, you do not know if they do or do not need a resole, it's impossible to tell from those pictures and without seeing them in person. So instead of trying to be outspoken just for the hell of it, get off your high-horse and add some value to this forum or GTFO