Thrifted Shoes - Critique! Comment! Advise!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by epic raccoon, Feb 25, 2011.

1. epic raccoon

epic raccoon Senior member

Hey all,

I'm a poor university student, frequent SF lurker, and avid thrifter. I recently obtained several pairs of shoes ($5-20 each). I tend to dress older than I am; suits are very common for me, but my standard outfit is a good pair of trousers or Levi's with a dress shirt and sport coat; tie on occasion. I was in search of daily beater shoes I wouldn't have to drop a pretty penny on (i.e. Alden; AE; any of the English shoemakers) because I have a tendency to ruin good shoes.

[​IMG]

Gave them all a good ol' Lysol treatment followed by Kiwi leather lotion and shoe polish.

What do you all think?

Unbranded Leather Soled Wingtip Bluchers ($5.00)
    The previous owners' insoles made the logo unreadable; all I can make out are "Made in USA". 360° welted construction in acceptable condition. Would it be possible (and financially feasible) to have this pair resoled?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was considering perhaps using black or blue polish to accentuate the unique colour and appearance of the leather. Thoughts?

Kenneth Cole Made in Italy Rubber Soled "Double Captoe" Boots ($10)
    Comfortable and convenient. I love this pair.

[​IMG]

Façonnable Made in Italy Leather Plain Toe Vibram Sole Chukka Boots ($15)
    I am in love with this pair, but the condition of the leather uppers and the Vibram soles are questionable. Is this pair worth salvadging, and if so, what would I expect in terms of cost and reparations?

[​IMG]

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

Well, I'm sure that plenty of folks here will feel that you got a great deal...

...I was in college in 1969-1973...I worked part time for $1.60 an hour...I NEVER bought a pair of used shoes, but if you're happy with them, that's really all that matters.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Burn the KC's, the other two look decent enough.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

use the KC's as real beaters, the other two look decent enough.

ftfy

btw, the other two's are more than decent. a good start indeed.

5. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

Those longwings (your wingtip bluchers) are a real treasure. Get those babies resoled. I would check the inside to see if there's a serial number - then contact Allen Edmonds and Alden to see if that matches any previous models they made. If so, send them in for a recraft.

6. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Burn the KC's, the other two look decent enough.

+1. The longwings are a good find, resole them. The chukkas are your beaters. Kill the KC boots, you can do better.

7. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

And for the love of God, no blue polish on the LWs.

8. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

I like the distress look of the long wing. As others have noted, resoling will help and don't forget to buy shoe trees. Have fun...

9. Luke Banks

Luke Banks Active Member

For those prices you really cant go wrong, even if you use them for firewood. I think they all look nice.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    [​IMG]
    I hate KC, but those boots with a pair of jeans and an old tee shirt would be a perfectly acceptable casual fit for someone your age and means.

11. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Senior member

I hate KC, but those boots with a pair of jeans and an old tee shirt would be a perfectly acceptable casual fit for someone your age and means.

I agree. These shoes are pretty lean-looking, not cheap-appearing, and not overdesigned like some other KC. I'd def keep them.

Agh I never find good shoes when I go thrifting!

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I agree. These shoes are pretty lean-looking, not cheap-appearing, and not overdesigned like some other KC. I'd def keep them.

Agh I never find good shoes when I go thrifting!

No, those KC's are horrid. Square toes that slant upward = ugly. Those are elf boots.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Longwings are probably Florsheim Imperials. Great shoes, I own 6 pair of them. Built like tanks (they don't call them Gunboats for nothing) and classic. Re-sole them and enjoy.

The Chukkas are nice, good score.

Not a fan of the KCs, but they are good for beating around in. You have to realize that KC is a name that is about as popular here as Muhammar Gaddafi is in Libya right now.

Mike

14. rfd515

rfd515 Member

Longwings are probably Florsheim Imperials. Great shoes, I own 6 pair of them. Built like tanks (they don't call them Gunboats for nothing) and classic. Re-sole them and enjoy.

The Chukkas are nice, good score.

Not a fan of the KCs, but they are good for beating around in. You have to realize that KC is a name that is about as popular here as Muhammar Gaddafi is in Libya right now.

Mike

Vtg imperials don't have a rounded edge tongue though do they? At least all the ones I have seen didn't.

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I'm staying out of the KC debate.

I love those longwings. Even if they are AE, you might also consider sending them to bnelson shoes in NYC to be recrafted. I have no such experience myself, but I've read of people getting their beautifully patinaed (how do you spell that?) brown shoes back with the uppers redyed and losing a lot of that character. If they aren't AE or Alden, bnelson definitely would be the best bet. Only caveat - inspect the leather carefully before you send them anywhere. if the leather is cracking, it may not be able to stand up to the stretching that relasting imposes.

The chukka's look like they would be a beater pair, but I may think that because what is actually just glare looks like a deep scratch to me.

As for the KC, I'd only consider them if they are almost completely unworn, and when you wear them out, I wouldn't have them resoled. (I thought I was staying out of this?)

Good finds though!