• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts?

Rick12345

Reaction score
This person at Nordstrom wasn't the person who sold me the coat. I think this is a sports coat vs a sports coat, it works. A lot of the sports coats being sold now are around the same length S this one.
Well, just giving my honest opinion, it’s too short. I wouldn’t wear it. But, this is coming from someone who wears navy suits 90% of the time. I can’t remember the last time I even put on a sport coat.

Regarding the people at Nordstrom - first off they want to make a sale, so of course they’ll say it’s nice. Second, not to sound snobbish but most of these people who work at these department stores know precious little if anything about true men’s style and tailoring. So I wouldn’t trust much of what they say.

powderbluestanza

Reaction score
To quote on jacket fit:
"Your suit jacket should cover about 80% of your butt and crotch. Generally, the bottom edge of a jacket should end between the two knuckles on your thumb. This rule can be pushed a little bit when wearing a casual sport coat because they tend to be a little shorter."

Other guides say: no higher than where the thumb meets the hand.
From the photos, it looks like you are just at that limit or quite possibly a touch shorter.

But context is also important. I wear jackets not much longer, but I'm 176cm/5'9" in a place where the average man is 181cm/5'11", i.e. I'm short. If you are much taller than average, say 6'2" or something, I think you will always look out of proportion in a short jacket. In your photos, you look very tall, but that could be a distortion.

I would vote for returning it.

Rick12345

Reaction score
To quote on jacket fit:
"Your suit jacket should cover about 80% of your butt and crotch. Generally, the bottom edge of a jacket should end between the two knuckles on your thumb. This rule can be pushed a little bit when wearing a casual sport coat because they tend to be a little shorter."

Other guides say: no higher than where the thumb meets the hand.
From the photos, it looks like you are just at that limit or quite possibly a touch shorter.

But context is also important. I wear jackets not much longer, but I'm 176cm/5'9" in a place where the average man is 181cm/5'11", i.e. I'm short. If you are much taller than average, say 6'2" or something, I think you will always look out of proportion in a short jacket. In your photos, you look very tall, but that could be a distortion.

I would vote for returning it.
I'm 5'11. In person it looks pretty good.

garbiel

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, seems to fit well at the shoulders, sleeves aren't too long, not puckering or straining at the middle button. It's a sport coat, so imo it's fine if its a bit shorter especially if you're wearing it casually, which you are in that picture.

I think the classic menswear rules w/r/t trouser height, jacket length, etc can be relaxed a in a casual setting if the garment suits your proportions and with your build I think you can pull off that shorter, slimmer, tom brown-ish cut that would look bad on a stockier person or in a more formal setting.

I would not wear that jacket if you were planning on trying to pair it with slacks and a tie but it's fine for dressing up casual wear.

Rick12345

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, seems to fit well at the shoulders, sleeves aren't too long, not puckering or straining at the middle button. It's a sport coat, so imo it's fine if its a bit shorter especially if you're wearing it casually, which you are in that picture.

I think the classic menswear rules w/r/t trouser height, jacket length, etc can be relaxed a in a casual setting if the garment suits your proportions and with your build I think you can pull off that shorter, slimmer, tom brown-ish cut that would look bad on a stockier person or in a more formal setting.

I would not wear that jacket if you were planning on trying to pair it with slacks and a tie but it's fine for dressing up casual wear.
Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads