• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Frye boots?

rnrswitch

Reaction score
They still have some of the PSXTriumph stuff at blue bee. I think www.bluebeeonline.com works. If not try a search for blue beatle, which is the mens stuff.

I bought the Brando lace boots on the frye website. It is the only place I could find the brandos online. I waited a few weeks after they were released to see if any would pop up on ebay, or zappos, etc, but to no avail. I have a feeling the brandos will take some time to get some distribution seeing as how they are a new style. $242 with shipping and tax on fryeboots.com.

savage_here

Reaction score
I picked up these similar boots on the 'bay. I can't wait to see how they hold up and age.

1909boots.jpg

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah savage_here, very nice. i'm guessing they're Red Wings. any idea what model they are?

-Jeff

savage_here

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
yeah savage_here, very nice. i'm guessing they're Red Wings. any idea what model they are?

-Jeff

Yeah, they're 1909's. It's an anniversary model which, I think, were made w/ some kind of legacy leather (whatever that means). I'm not sure if they were initially sold in the US at all. The cust. svc. folks at Red Wing are a bit thick, so no help there.

Savage

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Please do. A friend of mine bought a pair on eBay and had nothing good to say about the quality, so I'm a little dubious when it comes to Frye. Then again, maybe quality's different with Frye's women's stuff.

Still wish some of those boots came with slightly lower heels, though.

Here are my Frye boots after 10 years. I just polished them and put on new laces. The boots are not quite as dark as they look here.

I have not taken very good care of them over the years. This is probably my second or third polish and it wasn't until this year I actually used shoe trees. But, I wanted the broken in look which is what I got. I absolutely love these boots. The Vibram soles are amazing too.

f1mu5.jpg

f2kj5.jpg

familyman

Reaction score
I'm increasing drawn to frye boots. I've got a pair of Russells and have a pair of Alden's on the way. Frye's are creeping to the top of my list for what's next to buy. I think I'm going to end up with a collection of boots from the great American makers.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a giftcard to Nordstrom, but I am no where near the store. it has $49.14 (i think. I know it's $49 on it but not sure on the change.)Anyone want to buy it off me?

Fubar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by savage_here
Yeah, they're 1909's. It's an anniversary model which, I think, were made w/ some kind of legacy leather (whatever that means). I'm not sure if they were initially sold in the US at all. The cust. svc. folks at Red Wing are a bit thick, so no help there.

Savage

From what I can gather they are made from leather from the Horween Tannnery in Chicago. I think it's the same type of leather used on old footballs. The tannery has quite a long history and used to supply leather to Dubow who made A2 flight jackets for the AAF during WW2. Currently they also supply horsehide to Aero Leather in Scotland for leather jackets.

I have a pair of those boots that I bought last year, sadly they're half a size too big, I made the mistake of buying them at the end of a long day in London and my brain was frazzled. By way of compensation I picked a pair of the 1908's today, which are similar but with a mock toe. I love these boots, the leather is outstanding and they have a similar vintage look to the Alden 405s.

Red Wing Japan also do some nice styles unavailable elsewhere, I particularly like this one:

497525u.jpg

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those red wings look really good as well...how much do they run? Cheaper than the Frye's?

And once again, anyone want to buy the giftcard off me? Nordstrom doesn't carry the color Arkansas boot i want anyways

savage_here

Reaction score
Oh yeah, one other thing. Apparently the Horween part is kinda strange, according to a guy at a Redwing store that I spoke with today. He found it hard to believe since Redwing apparently owns their own tannery (one of only 3 left in the US).

FWIW.

savage_here

Reaction score
I read that translated description on Volls; interesting stuff. Also interesting to know what the actual retail is in the UK since these are not available at all in the US. Mine were factory seconds due to a very slight discoloration of the leather in one spot and were $119 on the bay. I guess there are some US dealers that can get ahold of the seconds. I really wanted the 1908's but they seem to be even tougher to find. I'll have to decide if I like them well enough to pay retail in the UK and deal with the shipping, etc.

Thanks for the additional info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads