• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thorogood American Heritage Moc Toe

burgerkong

Reaction score
Just ordered the tobacco 6" wedges, noticed they changed the outsole from the Vibram to a proprietary 'Max-Wear' type outsole that is supposed to outlast the Christy. Went for my Chippewa sizing, 11.5D.

erikl

Reaction score
I found this thread helpful before purchasing the moc wedges in black almost a year ago. A couple things I'd add:

Positives:

- the stitching work on these shoes is awesome and bombproof
- the comfort is excellent
- the price can't be beat, these are *almost* redwing moc-toe killers
- leather is heavily oiled and feels like it'll last virtually forever. low maintenance and looks the business in black.

Negatives

- the midsole material is rubber, not leather (it's colored to look like leather but it isn't... not a huge deal but worth noting)
- Cristy outsole wears fast, the in-house Max-Wear sole Thorogood is using on the other boots is surely a step up
- the leather doesn't wick at all because it is so heavily oiled. Interior climate is moist and clammy over the course of a full day, of which I've spent many working on my feet in these shoes.
- the insole is supportive, but is synthetic, hot, and does not wick. switched mine out w/ a leather one.

All things considered these are a super value for as low as $100 shipped if you know where to look. I will get these resoled with some sort of Vibram commando sole soon.

Last edited:

Kazappin

Reaction score
I found this thread helpful before purchasing the moc wedges in black almost a year ago. A couple things I'd add:
Positives:
- the stitching work on these shoes is awesome and bombproof
- the comfort is excellent
- the price can't be beat, these are *almost* redwing moc-toe killers
- leather is heavily oiled and feels like it'll last virtually forever. low maintenance and looks the business in black.
Negatives
- the midsole material is rubber, not leather (it's colored to look like leather but it isn't... not a huge deal but worth noting)
- Cristy outsole wears fast, the in-house Max-Wear sole Thorogood is using on the other boots is surely a step up
- the leather doesn't wick at all because it is so heavily oiled. Interior climate is moist and clammy over the course of a full day, of which I've spent many working on my feet in these shoes.
- the insole is supportive, but is synthetic, hot, and does not wick. switched mine out w/ a leather one.
All things considered these are a super value for as low as $100 shipped if you know where to look. I will get these resoled with some sort of Vibram commando sole soon.
Where are you finding these for $100 shipped, if you don't mind me asking? The cheapest I've seen so far has been at http://www.theunionbootpro.com for about $117 shipped after coupons.

K2793

Reaction score
Can anyone compare the fit to either nike janoskis or sperry topsiders? Would like to pick up a pair and really want to try and get the right size.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Amazon has several of these for 20% right now

Got the Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Plain-Toe Boot for $106 shipped

tigerpac

Reaction score
Got these over the weekend - some ankle discomfort - should I give a few days to break that in or try another size?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and necrobump here but I just wanted to share that I bought these Thorogood boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Boe...377503818&sr=8-1&keywords=thorogood+horsehide

They are horsehide, Made in USA, Goodyear welted, a great price and the boots are absolutely beautiful in real life -- despite the fact that the Amazon pictures makes them look terrible. Highly recommended.

I really wish Thorogood would release a proper heritage line in the USA. Now that Epaulet doesn't carry them, I don't know where to get them besides Highkickz (but they never have my size). Looking around the web, it looks like Europe has a line from them that look superb. Check it out:

I'd really love to get my hands on these but who knows how? Gah!! Made in USA and you can't even get them here, sad situation.

Anyway, here's that site:

http://www.thorogood.de/Shop/1892-Collection:::13_12.html?XTCsid=52099ed10867fa2a2767d408b6e0716a

Thorogood, take my money!

elduderino

Reaction score
Love the horsehides, blaster! Go and snap some pics whenever you've got the time, please, I'd love to see more!

Also, I've been wondering - would you order the same size in Thorogood mocs as in Red Wing mocs?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the horsehides, blaster! Go and snap some pics whenever you've got the time, please, I'd love to see more!

Also, I've been wondering - would you order the same size in Thorogood mocs as in Red Wing mocs?

Yes, same size. They both fit .5 size large.

aadim

Reaction score
Hi! Can anyone compare Thorogood heritage plain toe and RW Beckman plain toe sizing? Which size should I take if I'm 9.5 US RW Beckman 9016?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi! Can anyone compare Thorogood heritage plain toe and RW Beckman plain toe sizing? Which size should I take if I'm 9.5 US RW Beckman 9016?

You'll take a 9.5 in the Thorogoods as well.

elduderino

Reaction score
Has anyone already gotten a glimpse of the Thorogood premium/custom mocs? They're even closer to the Red Wings.
On the 'bay in Hazelnut, Tobacco (seen below) and Mustard Yellow.

If the insoles are also exchangable, I'll get some asap.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone already gotten a glimpse of the Thorogood premium/custom mocs? They're even closer to the Red Wings.
On the 'bay in Hazelnut, Tobacco (seen below) and Mustard Yellow.

If the insoles are also exchangable, I'll get some asap.

Where can you get them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads