• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why running for city ******* council requires your armed services combat picture on a massive sign.

Reactions: RSS

c0de

Reaction score
Why running for city ******* council requires your armed services combat picture on a massive sign.
The US has an infatuation with serving in the military that I have not seen elsewhere. I don’t get it, but I respect it and move on.

I also don’t get why there are so many pickup trucks.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I served in the military because it was either that or go to jail. I drove pickup trucks because my employers gave them to me and required I drive them or look for another job. Jusy me tho'.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also don’t get why there are so many pickup trucks.

You are not alone.

That said I recently tried to buy an older one as I live in the country and we need it to haul landscaping debris to the dump. I was looking for a basic truck ... 2 door ... 7 to 10 years old. The salesman kept telling me that I could ditch my car and he'd fix me up with a deluxe pickup. It would have everything I need. I tried to get across that I have no intention of ditching my car. I want a truck that I'll use 1x or 2x a month. I do NOT want to drive a truck on a daily basis. That is NOT who I am. He didn't get me. I left.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are not alone.

That said I recently tried to buy an older one as I live in the country and we need it to haul landscaping debris to the dump. I was looking for a basic truck ... 2 door ... 7 to 10 years old. The salesman kept telling me that I could ditch my car and he'd fix me up with a deluxe pickup. It would have everything I need. I tried to get across that I have no intention of ditching my car. I want a truck that I'll use 1x or 2x a month. I do NOT want to drive a truck on a daily basis. That is NOT who I am. He didn't get me. I left.
No, he sure didn’t.

• Haha

brokencycle

Reaction score
You are not alone.

You have had an interesting run in with car sellers lately.

c0de

Reaction score
I served in the military because it was either that or go to jail. I drove pickup trucks because my employers gave them to me and required I drive them or look for another job. Jusy me tho'.

thank you for your service, like I said I respect it despite not understanding (in your case makes sense). Again in your case a truck makes sense, in a lot of cases the bed stays clean through years of ownership.

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
You are not alone.

Well, there is a reason for that. Not everybody can afford (and shouldn't) having 2 vehicles. Plus, those who need to use a pickup truck have families. Sitting in the front of a pickup truck wasn't very comfortable back then.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not alone.

Thats it see. Thats exactly who I am. Since the 70's I've had trucks provided by employers who required them for work and although we weren't supposed to drive them for personal use it was a very loose rule. They became my only mode of transportation, besides the free gas was nice. After I retired I tried not having one for a bit but realized that my lifestyle had become so used to them I was lost without one. I buy Toyota Tacomas, I've had three since 2005 and it's rare the bed isn't loaded with crap to go to the dump, construction materials or tools of some sort. In the winter I throw my skis in the back and they stay there till spring except to wax/tune or ski.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have had an interesting run in with car sellers lately.
Well, recently relatively speaking. This was about a year back ... so not too much at once. I might have posted when it happened. This one I found funny.

I told a neighbor what I was looking to buy and he shared he needed one too for the same kind of use. He found one and we bought it together. $$/2

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have a two seater truck you can use the 3+ lanes with just the one bud

• Wow

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads