Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Very upset at the dearth of caviarcentric posting.

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

it's a recession!

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

what, Caviarman isn't back yet under a new handle?

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

there was a good article on caviar in the WSJ yesterday

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Dear 6 out of the 7 bored Williams Sonoma employees in the middle of the afternoon, Please leave me alone. Thank you. Best, Maxwell
    Do they get commission? I've been to WS a couple times in the last couple weeks and noticed that they're pretty annoying. When I was trying to decide on what All-Clad to buy, I was approached by two different employees and told them I was fine and didn't need help, and they BOTH came back and asked me again. LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!! Oh and it annoys me I have to order french flour from NY. With shipping It cost me $50 for a 10kg bag. [​IMG]

6. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

My blender can't blend worth crap so I beat the shit out of it with a hammer yesterday, calmly vacuumed up the shards and then texted a couple of people to get a suggestion on a new one.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Do they get commission?

I've been to WS a couple times in the last couple weeks and noticed that they're pretty annoying. When I was trying to decide on what All-Clad to buy, I was approached by two different employees and told them I was fine and didn't need help, and they BOTH came back and asked me again. LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!!

Oh and it annoys me I have to order french flour from NY. With shipping It cost me $50 for a 10kg bag. [​IMG]

I think that is about the going rate for good French flour as an import though. I think I paid $5 or $10 for a kilo or two of maison kayser baguette flour. When I move to Japan I'm gonna go wild and have a lot of flours.

8. Renton

Renton Senior member

My blender can't blend worth crap so I beat the shit out of it with a hammer yesterday, calmly vacuumed up the shards and then texted a couple of people to get a suggestion on a new one.

So which blender are you going to choose?

9. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    So which blender are you going to choose?

the sad fact is: there are no good blenders. not until you get up to vitamix level. i've owned probably a half-dozen of different brands and never been completely happy with any of them. the one i've got now is a relatively inexpensive waring pro and it works about as well as any of them have.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

the sad fact is: there are no good blenders. not until you get up to vitamix level. i've owned probably a half-dozen of different brands and never been completely happy with any of them. the one i've got now is a relatively inexpensive waring pro and it works about as well as any of them have.

Yep, this is a real problem. I've been through a ton of blenders... $10, $20, $50. They're mostly all crap. So now I just stick with the cheap crap.

11. Renton

Renton Senior member

Rambo suggested a vitamix from costco but it's no cheaper than the versions I've found elsewhere. I should take the plunge and pick up a vitamix; it's what Amazon gift cards are for.

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Yep, this is a real problem. I've been through a ton of blenders... $10, $20, $50. They're mostly all crap. So now I just stick with the cheap crap.
    you talking immersion blenders? Cause $50 is still cheap... I bought a l'equipe RPM off the cooks illustrated recommendation and have been quite satisfied. I bought it years ago and think it was like 200 bucks but whatever... Least I haven't had to replace it... (the rpm needle stopped working at some point though) Anyway, I really botched my mushroom risotto tonight. I had less frozen stock then I thought, and no onions (just shallots), and so i halved a recipe but didn't halve the shallots bc i'd already cut them and I like shallots so i said fuck it, but they were very dominant so i won't be doing that again.. And the shittake mushrooms I had didn't seem to have much punch. =/

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

you talking immersion blenders? Cause $50 is still cheap...
    No, but I'm more than happy with my black and decker immersion.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I received no text. Regardless, get a Vitamix if you use it with any frequency and like blending frozen or hard foods.
    Its either Vitamix or Blendtec. Having tried them both, I recommend the Vitamix.
    Rambo suggested a vitamix from costco but it's no cheaper than the versions I've found elsewhere. I should take the plunge and pick up a vitamix; it's what Amazon gift cards are for.
    The Costco deal was back when they were running the road shows. You got the tall jug instead of the standard short jug at the same cost. If you're really looking to save some money, check out the refurbished models on eBay. Good savings there.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Anybody have experience with the bosch universal mixer? I've been eying it because of the space aspect. One engine to run a stand mixer, blender, and processor would fit my kitchen nicely.