Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Guess what is still not in my possession. Hint--It is my birthday present.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Most supermarkets and groceries here make you bag your own groceries, unless it's a department store supermarket. [​IMG] I go to one across the street and they get your payment and then start checking out people right after you, throwing other people's groceries on your groceries you're still bagging. [​IMG] I have screamed at them a few times.

3. edinatlanta

Most supermarkets and groceries here make you bag your own groceries, unless it's a department store supermarket. [​IMG] I go to one across the street and they get your payment and then start checking out people right after you, throwing other people's groceries on your groceries you're still bagging. [​IMG] I have screamed at them a few times.

The utter disregard for people's space and order is very Asian. I love it from afar, not when I'm actually there. The little old grandmas who just don't give a fuck and will push by you piss me off.

4. impolyt_one

That is true. I've lived here on and off for 10 years and I am still shocked and get enraged when I'm minding my own business and I feel some spindly ass little hand on me, pushing me aside. Looking forward to living in Japan, where people are at least mildly apologetic about that kind of stuff. That and I won't have to eat peasant food over there. [​IMG]

5. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

impolyt,

aldi does this here in the us. they put your shit in a carraige unbagged at the end of the register and just immediately start with the next order. so you end up running your groceries from the carraige to this bagging area a few feet away.

6. impolyt_one

That is pathetic, but I know why they do it - to cut costs by not having baggers. Here though, so rarely do people buy cartloads of stuff - I'd say the overwhelming majority of people buy 10 items or less at a time. I was buying water and orange juice at the dollar store today, across the street like I mentioned above, and everybody else was buying a pack of ramen, something to put in it, like eggs or a can of tuna, and something random like a piece of fruit or rice wine, typical Korean home eating. It's like, can't these checkout people bag 3 items? They spend the time to tell you you have to pay the deposit of 10 cents to get a plastic bag, but they don't want to bag my groceries? [​IMG]

7. impolyt_one

Have ducks, don't have duck fat here, because all meat fat is thrown away [​IMG]

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The cipo onions last night were fantastic (thanks, Matt) but I felt I should have bought twice as much. [​IMG]

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

wtf is that? =/

Menu for the last meal I had in NY.

Back to hate...

Foodies.
    Specifically, San Francisco foodies.
    More specifically, the guy who sat beside me at weekend brunch who asked the waitress if the maize for the tortillas was hand ground.
    Even more specifically, the waitress who replied, "Of course."

lefty

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Back to hate...

Foodies.
    More specifically, the guy who sat beside me at weekend brunch who asked the waitress if the maize for the tortillas was hand ground.

lefty

That fucking bingo card menu is way more annoying, though I will hate on the people in SF with you any day.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Back to hate...

Foodies.

lefty

Well not to be on the side of foodies, which I would never want to do, but for tortillas, things like that actually make a big difference.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Well not to be on the side of foodies, which I would never want to do, but for tortillas, things like that actually make a big difference.
    Nothing better than watching the tubby Mexican lady (she's always 50+ and tubby IME) hand toss them, throw them on the hot rock thing, and watch them come right to your table or head to the line to be turned into good things.

13. edinatlanta

Yup. when I was in Guatemala there was this chain of taco places (think it was a chain) where they opened onto the sidewalk, a woman at a huge cooker thing, making fresh tortillas. All cheap as shit too.

I think we ate at those places like four or five times in a 6 day stretch.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Really? It makes that much of a difference in a $10 enchilada filled with stuff that is going to overwhelm the mild taste and mouth feel of the wrapper?

Anyone who uses the word "maize" outside of a third grade presentation on American Indians needs a shovel upside the head.

lefty

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Really? It makes that much if a difference in a $10 enchilada filled with stuff that is going to overwhelm the mild taste and mouth feel of the wrapper?

Anyone who uses the word "maize" outside of a third grade presentation on American Indians needs a shovel upside the head.

lefty

Well I didn't realize it would be in an enchilada, so it makes less of a difference there. The difference for me isn't in flavor, it's in texture. Hand-ground just has a better texture. The difference between hand ground and machine ground is like the difference between making biscuits by cutting the butter in with your hands versus tossing it all in a mixer, IMO.