• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wanna fix that link and i'll tell you what it is. or try anyway. or maybe just bore you to death with a pedantic recitation of cucurbit genealogy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

wanna fix that link and i'll tell you what it is. or try anyway. or maybe just bore you to death with a pedantic recitation of cucurbit genealogy.

Pic isn't working? shows up on my compooter. Anyway:
5490564-lebanese-white-bush-marrow-an-heirloom-type-squash-on-a-white-background.jpg

It shows up in google under both Lebanese Squash and Mediterranean Zuch.

We've been using it a ton though. Throwing it in rattatouille, other tomato sauces, sauteed veg, etc.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, those go under a variety of names. sometimes out here they're called mexican zucchini. generally speaking, they're different than regular zucchini because they're firmer in texture, so they'll hold onto their shape better after they're cooked. i do find the flavor is a little milder, though. those bulbous squashes are derived more from a group that used to be called "vegetable marrows". the thinner, darker, more cylindrical squashes are descended from an Italian squash family called cocozelle. garden zucchinis we know today are usually crosses between the two groups with emphasis on one side or the other. (fun fact: zucchini wasn't invented until the 20th century).
probably way more than any sane person would want to know.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i had no idea what they were ... but 'plumcots' from Citarella are incredibly good and making me very happy.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

yup, those go under a variety of names. sometimes out here they're called mexican zucchini. generally speaking, they're different than regular zucchini because they're firmer in texture, so they'll hold onto their shape better after they're cooked. i do find the flavor is a little milder, though. those bulbous squashes are derived more from a group that used to be called "vegetable marrows". the thinner, darker, more cylindrical squashes are descended from an Italian squash family called cocozelle. garden zucchinis we know today are usually crosses between the two groups with emphasis on one side or the other. (fun fact: zucchini wasn't invented until the 20th century).
probably way more than any sane person would want to know.

Noice, will read after work tonight.

I noticed that the seeds on these are more similar to cucumber than other squash.... those flat, round, tear-drop seeds. Interesting. Delicious squash though.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noice, will read after work tonight.

I noticed that the seeds on these are more similar to cucumber than other squash.... those flat, round, tear-drop seeds. Interesting. Delicious squash though.

there is not much distance (genetically speaking) between a cucumber and a squash. they're both members of the same family. and so are melons. taste watermelon rind and cucumber and see what you think.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i had no idea what they were ... but 'plumcots' from Citarella are incredibly good and making me very happy.

there are some really good ones. plumcots are crosses between plum (duh) and apricot. they're basically a solution to the fact that almost all commercial apricots taste like nothing at all. some of them are quite spectacular.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

there are some really good ones. plumcots are crosses between plum (duh) and apricot. they're basically a solution to the fact that almost all commercial apricots taste like nothing at all. some of them are quite spectacular.

You know, the ******* peaches at the markets right now are atrocious. Hard as a rock. I am going down there with your book next time to show them what is up.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

You know, the ******* peaches at the markets right now are atrocious. Hard as a rock. I am going down there with your book next time to show them what is up.

I bought some the other day, in the "nice" store here. I was afraid it would be hard as a rock, but the outside was soft and it smelled like peach, so I bought a few. Lo and behold, I bite into the first one and it's somehow soft on the outside centimeter, then hard as a rock all the way in to the pit.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
peaches are tough at retail. when they're ripe, they're so fragile that they get the sh*t beat out of them just by shoppers pawing through them. the good news is that they are, ahem, a "climacteric" fruit which means that they will continue to ripen off of the tree. if you see peaches that match the other criteria (golden background color rather than green, etc.), you can buy them and hold them at room temp for a day or two and they'll be good. don't lose track. one of my favorite farmers sent me a box of his spectacular Snow Queen nectarines that were underripe and when i remembered to check them 3 days later i had cultivated quite a little mold garden. was only able to rescue a half-dozen, which were truly amazing.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I've had some unbelievably delicious plums this week.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yesterday, I hit up Pho 79 in Garden Grove - it is the ******* truth, it's almost definitely the best pho in the USA. Tasted like the pho I normally ate in the middle of nowhere when I went to college in the Midwest, but pho 79 was just a lot 'nicer' - herb plate was mad fresh, sambal and sriracha choice on the table (always sambal for me though) - but the broth is so silken, with clouds of bone collagen all through. Perfectly seasoned. I'd say if anything, I could've used fewer noodles, more soup, more onions and green onions. Beef was a little tougher than I like but it wasn't too tough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads