• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was totally going to pay someone to do it this year....but it turns out that if you sleep on that until the last minute, there aren't exactly a bunch of well-recommended accountants ready to just jump on your case and do it.

Message I got was that the only way I was getting that done was to file an extension and wait until after the deadline to work with someone...so I just did it myself again. Luckily my investment accounts linked directly into turbotax and I didn't have to do anything with the many pages of trading data that were sent by the robo-advisor. On the other hand, that's exactly the kind of shit where I don't fully trust it and I'd rather have a pro look at it.

So somebody remind me next fall to start talking to accountants...probably best to get one picked before the end of the year just in case there are some things I could do to optimize my taxes given I am planning to move states mid-year.
I switched to TurboTax this year and have used HR Block. It's so incredibly easy either just having things linked or upload PDFs.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, turbotax is so damn easy and cheap (and this year I just borrowed it from a friend since each license includes 5 federal filings)...

A large fraction of my tax prep time is probably spent tracking down the correct version of all the requisite documents that won't auto-import...and I'd still have to do that shit even if I hired someone.

Actually typing in a handful of numbers takes almost no time. The only hard part this year was claiming my crypto gains since I didn't get a 1099...but again there the truly hard part was tracking down the buy transactions (which I managed to fuck up) since they were made on multiple platforms, so the CPA wouldn't be able to help there.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just walk into the Accountant's office, sign a form, and walk out. Y'all have people to clean your house or mow the lawn but you'll try to DIY your taxes? GTFOHWTMFBS
I just pay someone to do mine also. I don't want to waste 6-8 hours of my life trying to fill that shit out. Filling out all of the K-1's is a bitch to do.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, that's cheap. That's lower than 15 year fixed rate mortgages.
I know.

That's why I'm thinking why bother with a down payment. Just take out a loan for the full cost and invest my down payment.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just back from an emotional send-off. There were words of love, there were hugs, there were kisses, and there were more hugs ... with a tear or two. In the end I cried unconsolably. Then I did what all good Americans do and I dropped my check payable to the United States Treasury in the mail.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So finally done with taxes, assuming the accountant doesn't screw up the efiling. I don't think I have ever been this grumpy about paying my taxes, must be getting old.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my 3 hour interview today. Was rather interesting. I’ve never been so torn about a shitty current situation and not being completely sold on a position. Like I had my would be boss reading questions off of what looked like a standard list of interview questions provided by hr and none of those questions applied to the position.

Meh, I guess I’ll have to think about it. Or I suppose they’ll have to offer the job first. Whatever, I’m guessing I’ll probably pass and continue looking.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I had my would be boss reading questions off of what looked like a standard list of interview questions provided by hr and none of those questions applied to the position.
If they are phoning it in even before you join, imagine what it's like working there?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my 3 hour interview today. Was rather interesting. I’ve never been so torn about a shitty current situation and not being completely sold on a position. Like I had my would be boss reading questions off of what looked like a standard list of interview questions provided by hr and none of those questions applied to the position.

Meh, I guess I’ll have to think about it. Or I suppose they’ll have to offer the job first. Whatever, I’m guessing I’ll probably pass and continue looking.
I remember going to an interview a long time ago.
Get there and find out it's a group thing. This guy comes to the front and says we will be given a test, and only a small percentage of those will be asked back for one on ones.
I smelled bullshit, and purposely answered every question wrong.
*I do not like being around people.
*I have a problem with authority, etc.
Later, they blew up my phone with messages.
"We are excited to let you know you've passed and can't wait to talk again"

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys. We have a patriotic duty.

Rise up, get those dollars out of storage, put on disposable clothes, we need to go to the titty bar

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oldest kid going to college next year. Small-ish New England liberal arts college. We got very little in terms of financial aid but it's not crazy expensive. I need to come up with about $25K/year. I've always saved a lot for retirement, never for kid's college but we can afford to pay it as we go.

I had a meeting recently with a Fidelity guy when rolling over my old 401K and he mentioned that the future of student loan debt is unknown and that rather than pay out of pocket (our initial plan), I should think about loans in the event that some debt gets forgiven down the road.

Thoughts?

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oldest kid going to college next year. Small-ish New England liberal arts college. We got very little in terms of financial aid but it's not crazy expensive. I need to come up with about $25K/year. I've always saved a lot for retirement, never for kid's college but we can afford to pay it as we go.

I had a meeting recently with a Fidelity guy when rolling over my old 401K and he mentioned that the future of student loan debt is unknown and that rather than pay out of pocket (our initial plan), I should think about loans in the event that some debt gets forgiven down the road.

Thoughts?
At the very least, you should take the subsidized loans. They don't start accruing interest until graduation.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.