• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally got sick of my student loans after 22 years and paid off the balance. I still had to write a five-figure check. That shit is insidious man
HOLY FUCK YOU ARE OLD AS MOSES

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought SALT was about bombs or something. Why y'all all jibbeldy

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Splitting the difference between hibbeldy and happy: my e-filing was rejected and I have to submit on paper. This would have been a much bigger deal if I'd waited for tax day to submit like I usually do.
Another thing - my e-filing has been rejected for the last three years. No one’s been able to tell me what’s wrong - they just say to file via mail. I always owe anyway so fuck em all - I guess I get to keep my money for a few extra days

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My e-filing was rejected this year. The e-mail contained an error message to copy and paste to find out the source of the error. Turns out I mistakenly entered a zero into two lines that I should have left blank. I resubmitted the corrected form and it was accepted shortly thereafter.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I filed late last year, which meant I could not efile last year, which meant to efile this year I had to find my IRS PIN or match the AGI from that filing, which I tracked down on my IRS transcript* but it still rejected me :-(

*Who knew there was such a thing? Not me.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe e-filing is just a scam to suck us in, like that one Toyota Corolla they advertise at 12 grand that doesn’t actually exist

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I filed my taxes in early march. no refund as of yet. Argh

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm an unmarried small timer with no dependents who only deducts state income and property taxes, mortgage interest, and charitable contributions. I can complete my tax forms in a few hours.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We had our refunds in the bank by the end of the first week of March as per usual. We're so boring.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just walk into the Accountant's office, sign a form, and walk out. Y'all have people to clean your house or mow the lawn but you'll try to DIY your taxes? GTFOHWTMFBS
I was totally going to pay someone to do it this year....but it turns out that if you sleep on that until the last minute, there aren't exactly a bunch of well-recommended accountants ready to just jump on your case and do it.

Message I got was that the only way I was getting that done was to file an extension and wait until after the deadline to work with someone...so I just did it myself again. Luckily my investment accounts linked directly into turbotax and I didn't have to do anything with the many pages of trading data that were sent by the robo-advisor. On the other hand, that's exactly the kind of shit where I don't fully trust it and I'd rather have a pro look at it.

So somebody remind me next fall to start talking to accountants...probably best to get one picked before the end of the year just in case there are some things I could do to optimize my taxes given I am planning to move states mid-year.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was totally going to pay someone to do it this year....but it turns out that if you sleep on that until the last minute, there aren't exactly a bunch of well-recommended accountants ready to just jump on your case and do it.

Message I got was that the only way I was getting that done was to file an extension and wait until after the deadline to work with someone...so I just did it myself again. Luckily my investment accounts linked directly into turbotax and I didn't have to do anything with the many pages of trading data that were sent by the robo-advisor. On the other hand, that's exactly the kind of shit where I don't fully trust it and I'd rather have a pro look at it.

So somebody remind me next fall to start talking to accountants...probably best to get one picked before the end of the year just in case there are some things I could do to optimize my taxes given I am planning to move states mid-year.
I switched to TurboTax this year and have used HR Block. It's so incredibly easy either just having things linked or upload PDFs.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, turbotax is so damn easy and cheap (and this year I just borrowed it from a friend since each license includes 5 federal filings)...

A large fraction of my tax prep time is probably spent tracking down the correct version of all the requisite documents that won't auto-import...and I'd still have to do that shit even if I hired someone.

Actually typing in a handful of numbers takes almost no time. The only hard part this year was claiming my crypto gains since I didn't get a 1099...but again there the truly hard part was tracking down the buy transactions (which I managed to fuck up) since they were made on multiple platforms, so the CPA wouldn't be able to help there.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.