• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think that's one reason I am glad I went to such a good school. Coming from a high school where I could coast to a top college filled with bright students (many of whom could have coasted through high school but instead chose to work really hard) meant that I wasn't going to go on thinking I was the best. Even if I worked as hard as I possibly could, I still wouldn't have been the best.

This attitude is RARE amongst your age group

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be honest and say I don't get where this whole idea of millennials being lazy and entitled comes from.

This is obviously anecdotal evidence and therefore dismissible, but everyone I work with is extremely hard working and wouldn't bat an eye at doing stupid **** like fetching lunch or printing and stapling decks. If anything, I wish we had a couple millennials with ****** attitudes like that. It's too competitive here :laugh:

I never grew up with the mindset that I was a special, talented flower. I always thought I was average, if anything.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'll be honest and say I don't get where this whole idea of millennials being lazy and entitled comes from.

This is obviously anecdotal evidence and therefore dismissible, but everyone I work with is extremely hard working and wouldn't bat an eye at doing stupid **** like fetching lunch or printing and stapling decks. If anything, I wish we had a couple millennials with ****** attitudes like that. It's too competitive here :laugh:

if you polled them individually i'd put down money on them all thinking that they were better than you, and everyone else, at their job

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The deadline to tell HR if we wanted to adjust the tax withholding or 401k contribution on our annual bonuses was last friday...

They still haven't told us how much the bonuses will be...how am I supposed to know how much extra tax I want to pay if I don't know how much money I need to pay it on? Oh well, deposits go through on friday so I guess I will know by then if they haven't passed out the letters yet.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is the type of thing that will hit a lot of millenials very hard. As an associate not too long ago, I can't imagine pulling this kind of crap with a partner. A lot of millenials, especially those who have always been at or near the top of their class, think that just being smart is enough to get by once they graduate and that it somehow makes up for their laziness and lack of social skills. What they don't realize is that a couple years out of school nobody gives a f%#k what your GPA or class rank was, and that you aren't nearly as smart or special as you think you are. Smart kids out of school are a dime a dozen. Now smart kids with a good attitude and work ethic? Much harder to find...

Soft skills are in short supply

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if you polled them individually i'd put down money on them all thinking that they were better than you, and everyone else, at their job

I know I'm better than some of my peers at certain skills and similarly, worse at other skills. On the whole, we're pretty close, talent-wise. We haven't had a "rock star" in a while, though.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My students are all millenials. Of course I only see a small part of their lives, but I haven't noticed a strong special-flower attitude in them. (I should add, though, that I don't teach at an elite university; I'm sure that affects what I'm seeing a lot.) But there is one special-flowerish attitude I have noticed in them: they think it is vitally important that they always be granted the opportunity to express themselves. More and more, I have students complaining that I lecture too much, which prevents them from expressing their opinions on the issues we're talking about in class. My view on that point is very simple: the concepts we deal with in philosophy are very abstract and difficult, and so students don't come into class already understanding them. Expressing opinions about concepts you don't understand is a waste of time for everyone. If I do my job well, I will get students to the point where they can have meaningful discussions. But that's the endpoint, not the beginning.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Honestly, I don't know where they are...but they are out there. I'm certainly not close friends with them, but I overhear them on trains, see them in bars, and can recognize them amongst the people on facebook that I used to go to high school with.

They are the people who went to a good state school, but only did a mediocre job there. Today the ones that have a real job are sitting on facebook complaining about how its so unfair that the neighboring school district/company/town gets to have a snow day while they have to sit at work.

I think the problem is blown out of proportion--partially by the internet and social networking which allows you to see the ****** attitudes of people who you would never actually interact with in real life. There are plenty of decent enough millennials just like I'm sure there were plenty of entitled slacker baby boomers.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I never grew up with the mindset that I was a special, talented flower. I always thought I was average, if anything.

I see many in their 20's that are lazy as ****, self absorbed, entitled prima donnas. Let me double up on lazy. Kids of the 'everyone gets a trophy' generation.

This is not global, but goddam I see a lot of it. Case in point is how you see them show up for interviews dressed. And bad posture. And incessant mobile usage. My god, stop giving everyone trophies, we need a bit more natural selection.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Case in point is how you see them show up for interviews dressed. And bad posture. And incessant mobile usage.

A couple of years ago when my eldest daughter was interviewing with medical schools I bought her a proper interview outfit and gave her one piece of advice: Don't let anyone see your phone. It worked.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple of years ago when my eldest daughter was interviewing with medical schools I bought her a proper interview outfit and gave her one piece of advice: Don't let anyone see your phone. It worked.

I have had law students and recent graduates show up in business casual for an interview. No tie, no jacket (or if there was one a blazer) and khackis. I can understand non-sf approved suits et al. but not putting on a suit for a law firm interview?

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see many in their 20's that are lazy as ****, self absorbed, entitled prima donnas. Let me double up on lazy. Kids of the 'everyone gets a trophy' generation.

This is not global, but goddam I see a lot of it. Case in point is how you see them show up for interviews dressed. And bad posture. And incessant mobile usage. My god, stop giving everyone trophies, we need a bit more natural selection.

This was recently stated when bonuses and raises were awarded by another junior person:

"The company is growing and profiting every year, so no excuse not to pay me more..."

I kid you not.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Quote:
Sounds like poor parenting to me. Those kids didn't inherently assume they should have gotten a trophy for showing up, someone was there to give it to them. I'm an in-betweener, was born in 1982. Some say I am an Gen X'er and some say I'm a Millennial (although I don't really feel like one).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The deadline to tell HR if we wanted to adjust the tax withholding or 401k contribution on our annual bonuses was last friday...

They still haven't told us how much the bonuses will be...how am I supposed to know how much extra tax I want to pay if I don't know how much money I need to pay it on? Oh well, deposits go through on friday so I guess I will know by then if they haven't passed out the letters yet.

First world problem.

At my company they literally tell us how much we are getting two days before we get it. I think it is to minimize complaining. I'm happy to get anything.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My students are all millenials. Of course I only see a small part of their lives, but I haven't noticed a strong special-flower attitude in them. (I should add, though, that I don't teach at an elite university; I'm sure that affects what I'm seeing a lot.) But there is one special-flowerish attitude I have noticed in them: they think it is vitally important that they always be granted the opportunity to express themselves. More and more, I have students complaining that I lecture too much, which prevents them from expressing their opinions on the issues we're talking about in class. My view on that point is very simple: the concepts we deal with in philosophy are very abstract and difficult, and so students don't come into class already understanding them. Expressing opinions about concepts you don't understand is a waste of time for everyone. If I do my job well, I will get students to the point where they can have meaningful discussions. But that's the endpoint, not the beginning.

This is basically spot on with my experience. I was a philosophy major

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics