• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The publisher we had our next big contract with just backed out with no notice. Me = laid off. Lots of longtime employees from every department got the axe, too... Rough day at the office for sure. I've never been in a workplace where the axe fell like that and man is it a miserable feeling.

Awesome ******* job, too. Ah well, onwards and upwards and all that.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Biscotti is correct - quant is the norm for most political science specialties. There are some people who deal mostly in qualitative work, but those are generally old-school, highly-respected guys who've "earned" the "right" to do qualitative work.

Frankly, I think it's an utterly ridiculous trend, and it's the reason I decided to switch from an MA/PhD track toward academia to a professional degree. Even so, I took stats courses both in my BA and in the year I spent in an MA, both in political science, and they were quite rigorous, especially in grad school.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So for once I decided to get to the airport early for a flight to the west coast. The interstate was shutdown, completely, in all directions around the airport because of a 40 vehicle accident.

After speeding to get there, I ran as fast as i could and made it, but at the departure time. Fortunately the crew was late, but just arrived. Took two over two hours when it's typically a half hour.

I can't wait to get seated and relax. Nerves have been on edge.

I feel your pain.

Also waiting to board my flight. It just got delayed an hour.

:fu:

Surprisingly, in my year of travel, I've never missed a flight from fault of my own. The one and only time I missed one was because my cab driver (use the same guy every time) slept through his alarm. I missed my meeting that day and got chewed out by my project vp. :(

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear that, jarude.

With regard to poli sci, I think there's a very wide gap between what the discipline is and what people outside the discipline think it is. I am always dealing with students who told me they chose a major in poli sci because they're interested in politics, but who are really disappointed with what they actually study, which is very much quantitative.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that also Jarude.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The publisher we had our next big contract with just backed out with no notice. Me = laid off. Lots of longtime employees from every department got the axe, too... Rough day at the office for sure. I've never been in a workplace where the axe fell like that and man is it a miserable feeling.

man, that sucks. sorry, jarude.

He was doing some men bonding attempt..

he phailed.

Wow, huge accident in the Detroit area on a stretch of highway I've driven countless times.

do i need to take note of this?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indefinitely and Until further notice, every paycheck I get after these ******* tax reinstatements is pissing me off

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

man, that sucks. sorry, jarude.
he phailed.
do i need to take note of this?

Sorry to hear that also Jarude.

Really sorry to hear that, jarude.

With regard to poli sci, I think there's a very wide gap between what the discipline is and what people outside the discipline think it is. I am always dealing with students who told me they chose a major in poli sci because they're interested in politics, but who are really disappointed with what they actually study, which is very much quantitative.

jarude, sorry to hear this. Hope something comes through quickly.

thanks folks.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, Jarude. That's devastating. Keep your head up.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was going to come on here and ***** about how i just discovered my intolerance to lactose and the horrible cramps that kept me up all night and the closed sinuses but you've got it tough brother.

*Okay i'll ***** a little. It was $30 dollar cheese i couldn't say no!
Keep yer chin up buddy.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sucks dude. I've lost a job like that and I've been a survivor of a mass cull as well. The latter is better but only slightly.

Good luck. I'm sure you will bounce back.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeesh, that's terrible. Sorry to hear it.

Good luck with the next step.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
jarude, sorry to hear about your job. That sucks. Having been there myself.... gas chamber? the chair? the lockout? the bad login?

a little gallows humor always helps.

pissing me off: I'm not sure why, but I'm in a really douchey mood. The wife is really under my skin tonight, but for absolutely no good reason. Just everything she does tonight is pissing me off, even the nice things I'm finding fault with. WTF is wrong with me tonight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads