• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any pics?

The fit is standard, so nothing really mindboggling there.

It's just very nice fabric. Very smooth and even hand.

As for colour, think of what Obama usually wears. This is a dark navy meant for conservative places.

Redbird13

Reaction score
Has anyone used TAT for sportcoats? I'm in need of a navy blazer, and since I'm a difficult size (~35/36R) I am considering TAT. Would this be wise? My only concern is that the jacket would look more like an orphaned suit jacket due to the the types of fabrics that Jason uses.

prozach1576

Reaction score

Has anyone used TAT for sportcoats? I'm in need of a navy blazer, and since I'm a difficult size (~35/36R) I am considering TAT. Would this be wise? My only concern is that the jacket would look more like an orphaned suit jacket due to the the types of fabrics that Jason uses.

Skip the ticket pocket and get contrasting mother of pearl buttons and it won't look like an orphaned suit jacket.

sk317

Reaction score

The fit is standard, so nothing really mindboggling there.
It's just very nice fabric. Very smooth and even hand.
As for colour, think of what Obama usually wears. This is a dark navy meant for conservative places.
I thought he ordered the VBC 127. That's relatively lighter than the dark navy. The site doesn't have any life pics of that fabric up so I wanted to see how it looked.

Last edited:

poena

Reaction score
What color should I go with if I want a navy suit. Like you know for sure that it's navy not one of those really dark navy's that only look navy under the sun.

Thanks

drPheta

Reaction score
I just received my TaT suit from Jason, and it's a bit snug. Here are the suit details

Conservative Cut
I'll get the VBC 124
Single Breasted 2 button
Notched lapel

A ticket pocket
Regular pockets with flaps.
Side tabs for the pants (2 button style)
Scarlet colored lining for suit jacket and pockets

And here are the out of the box, quickly pressed photos. I know I'll need to find a tailor to make some minor adjustments, but what do you guys think? If definitely fits a bit tight on the jacket shoulders. Also, who around the Boston area would you recommend?

and these were the measurements I gave Jason:

Neck base: 15.5 - 15.75" (I usually buy 15.5" shirts)
Front shoulder: 17"
Back shoulder: 18"

Chest: 35"
Navel: 32"
Waist: 32"
Hip: 37"

Thigh: 21"
Calf: 14.5"
Inseam: 30" (My pants are usually size 30"x32" J. Crew wool slacks, and I could send a well fitting pair if necessary).
Sleeve: 23.75" (knocked 0.25" off a current suit that fits OK, but has a thick shoulder pad)

drPheta

Reaction score
I emailed Jason the photos, and he indicated the shoulder pads could be cut or removed to allow for a better sleeve drape. I agree with him the sleeve length is perfect, but he says the shoulder width is correct. I wonder if it's the mid back tightness that's causing the jacket to wrinkle up.

Last edited:

galwaykinnell

Reaction score
1. Is the navy nailhead pattern subtle enough to treat as a solid, or do I need to stick with navy kid mohair for a first proper suit?
2. Would getting conservative details with a more tapered leg and shorter jacket still keep the jacket acceptable for most settings?
(I'm young, fit, and don't work in law/banking)

loreley

Reaction score

1. Is the navy nailhead pattern subtle enough to treat as a solid, or do I need to stick with navy kid mohair for a first proper suit?
2. Would getting conservative details with a more tapered leg and shorter jacket still keep the jacket acceptable for most settings?
(I'm young, fit, and don't work in law/banking)

1. Yes you can treat it as solid. As far as first proper suit, navy or charcoal will do, as long as it is solid.

2. Define "conservative." Tapered trousers and shorter jackets have been around for more than half a century. It is a particular aesthetic. If you want to know if will be "acceptable," look no further than your peer group in which you would wear such a garment.

In short, yes it should be fine.

Last edited:

loreley

Reaction score
Your pants should be hemmed a little shorter if the back is breaking like that. Even though it's a "conservative" leg taper, it's still narrow enough that a Half-break should be the most it breaks. As for the jacket, your tailor may let out the back a little, while at the same time taking in the waist from the sides.
I just received my TaT suit from Jason, and it's a bit snug. Here are the suit details
[COLOR=181818]Conservative Cut[/COLOR]
I'll get the VBC 124
Single Breasted 2 button
Notched lapel
[COLOR=500050]A ticket pocket

[COLOR=500050]Regular pockets with flaps. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=500050]Side tabs for the pants (2 button style) [/COLOR]
[COLOR=500050] [COLOR=222222]Scarlet colored lining for suit jacket and pockets [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222]And here are the out of the box, quickly pressed photos. I know I'll need to find a tailor to make some minor adjustments, but what do you guys think? If definitely fits a bit tight on the jacket shoulders. Also, who around the Boston area would you recommend? [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [COLOR=222222] [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]

and these were the measurements I gave Jason:
[COLOR=500050] [COLOR=181818]Neck base: 15.5 - 15.75" (I usually buy 15.5" shirts) [COLOR=181818]Front shoulder: 17"[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Back shoulder: 18"[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=181818]Chest: 35"
Navel: 32"
Waist: 32"
Hip: 37"
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=181818]Thigh: 21"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=181818]Calf: 14.5"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=500050] [COLOR=181818]Inseam: 30" (My pants are usually size 30"x32" J. Crew wool slacks, and I could send a well fitting pair if necessary). [COLOR=181818]Sleeve: 23.75" (knocked 0.25" off a current suit that fits OK, but has a thick shoulder pad)[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]

drPheta

Reaction score
Your pants should be hemmed a little shorter if the back is breaking like that. Even though it's a "conservative" leg taper, it's still narrow enough that a Half-break should be the most it breaks.
As for the jacket, your tailor may let out the back a little, while at the same time taking in the waist from the sides.
Thanks for the info. I'm bringing it to the tailor tomorrow, so I'll see what he says (Tony Tong in Boston).

loreley

Reaction score

Is there a significant difference between the navy mohair and navy birdseye fabric?
Sincerely,
Sweaty Musician

Depends on what you view as significant. The mohair is going to be solid up close, and the birds-eye will not. That said, they both will be navy, but there will be more visible texture to the birds-eye.

mistertwo

Reaction score
hi guys,

I just received my suit. It hasn't been pressed yet but its not overly wrinkly. I was going to send off to the tailors to have cleaned and adjusted at the same time. I know for sure i need some adjustments and I'd like some feedback on some of the work that needs to be done. Please excuse the socks and the shirt. It was a quick fit!

I know the shoulder/neck area needs to be worked on. Also, how is the shoulder width? The jacket seems very narrow to me and maybe adding .5"-1' would've helped. The sleeves are way short but that can be easily adjusted.

Here are the measurements of the jacket.

Neck base: 14"
shoulder front: 14.5"
shoulder back: 15"
Chest: 33"
Torso: 28.5"
waist: 31.5"
Hips: 34"
Thigh: 20"
Calf: 12.5
Jacket Sleeve 21.25
Inseam: 24.5
Height: 5'4"

Any comments would be appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads