1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

I already have a couple suits in charcoal but I would not be surprised if I snag one in that colour [​IMG]

2. coiol

coiol Well-Known Member

The suits look great and I may order a one-button next month if my finances work themselves out.

3. ninjapie

ninjapie Well-Known Member

$400,- is a very affordable price, too bad I have to spend most of my money on school. I'm also currently saving up for a trip to Japan from what's left.
    Looking for a new, better paid, job at the moment though. [​IMG]

Great job, Get Smart!

4. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

I already have a couple suits in charcoal but I would not be surprised if I snag one in that colour [​IMG]
    Yeah, I'm torn: On the one hand, it seems reasonable to get a 1btn in something neutral and let the the edgy cut speak for itself. On the other, I don't have much retro style and this seems like a unique opportunity to push myself, so I'm tempted by the more "historical" fabrics. I'm not such a fan of 3btn suits, but it sounds like the 3btn will be perfect as an odd jacket in check or tweed. (Have to wait and see the tweeds, although lets face it: PoW is everyone's favourite check.) So hopefully TAT will be the recipient of my entire budget for the year - this is so much more fun than digging through eBay and sales racks!

5. skalogre

Yeah, I'm torn: On the one hand, it seems reasonable to get a 1btn in something neutral and let the the edgy cut speak for itself. On the other, I don't have much retro style and this seems like a unique opportunity to push myself, so I'm tempted by the more "historical" fabrics.

I'm not such a fan of 3btn suits, but it sounds like the 3btn will be perfect as an odd jacket in check or tweed. (Have to wait and see the tweeds, although lets face it: PoW is everyone's favourite check.) So hopefully TAT will be the recipient of my entire budget for the year - this is so much more fun than digging through eBay and sales racks!

The way I look at it us that something like charcoal works well for many occasions, dressed up or down and is less likely to be noticed if you wear it more than once within a limited time frame [​IMG]
    Navy subtle windowpane would have been great as an option though.

Edit:
    In suits I don't really care for a retro look that much unlike casual wear and watches so I never contemplated that aspect. I just like the idea of a nicely cut slim peak lapel one button suit approved by our resident coolretromoddaddy GS [​IMG]

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

Navy subtle windowpane would have been great as an option though.

that's the fabric of the 3 button I'm wearing....I'll add that to the swatches next update after I finalize tweeds. It's a greyish navy with light blue windowcheck. It's pretty subtle, from a short distance looks solid navy.

7. skalogre

that's the fabric of the 3 button I'm wearing....I'll add that to the swatches next update after I finalize tweeds. It's a greyish navy with light blue windowcheck. It's pretty subtle, from a short distance looks solid navy.

[​IMG]

8. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    If it's the same one I think it is, I saw it in person while in LA. It was beautiful.

9. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

10. inviscid

inviscid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

that's right...

[​IMG]

I bought a pair of sample Thick as Thieves trousers from Jason, and my gosh the fit is dead on. So nice and slim and Jason was very helpful in sizing these for me.

P.S., these have a killer purple lining... I'll try and take better pictures later of both the lining as well as the fit. My cameraphone can only handle so much in the dark ... [​IMG]

11. Get Smart

right on Inviscid...glad they work for you!! You got em a day earlier than I thought too.

12. TheOneTrueMatt

TheOneTrueMatt Well-Known Member

I'm planning to order one, maybe even two TaT suits this year (though this is all depending on how my budget goes, I'm presently just a step above broke so...) and I'm pondering my style/color choice.

I'm thinking a black one button would be great for the minimalist nighttime look as has been mentioned, and I'm a musician (read: pretentious artist type) so it seems appropriate.

But since as far as I can tell nothing else close to this kind of suit exists in this price range (especially for a skinny guy like me), I might go ahead and get a 3b suit too. It happens a friend of mine is getting married in July, and since the last wedding I went to I was forced to wear a horrendous ill-fitting garment I hesitate to even call a tux (I was a groomsman) I want to look great for this one. So I was thinking I'd get the 3b in a color that would work well for that kind of situation, but I'm really not sure what that is. The other colors from the TaT site that have caught my eye so far are the navy windowpane and the medium gray, but I'm open to suggestions. In my existing pitiful suit "wardrobe" I have a dark gray pinstripe 2b (H&M) and a charcoal from a place I'm too embarassed to name, but it doesn't matter since the fit is terrible and I'll probably never wear it again.

Also, I should mention I have no business-oriented obligations ever so I'm not held back at all by that. I'm very much as TaT describes it's clientele, someone who doesn't have to wear a suit, but wants to.

13. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

I don't know how I can possibly justify my yearly/monthly spending on clothes, but I'm definitely getting two of the one-buttons some time this year. maybe a three-button latter on, but the one-button is so on point it's impossible to resist it.

BTW, I'm also a layabout who doesn't need to wear a suit, and merely wants to.

14. Frittata

Frittata Well-Known Member

Is this the suit you are wearing inside?

15. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Well-Known Member

I'd very well interested in getting a 42 jacket with the 34 waist trousers. I'm really digging the retro feel to the webpage and suits. Just out of curiousity, do all jackets come with dual vents? Also would it be possible to have no shoulder padding on the jackets?

Last but not least, if I were to wear one of your suits, what would be the biggest tie width deemed appropriate given the styling of your suits?

Thanks!

16. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Well-Known Member

Last but not least, if I were to wear one of your suits, what would be the biggest tie width deemed appropriate given the styling of your suits?

Thanks!

I'd say a 3" would look best. 2.5"-2.75" if you wanna go ultra-retro. But since you're a 42, stick with a 3" to keep the tie from looking like just a rope around your neck.

17. Get Smart

Is this the suit you are wearing inside?

no that one is the dark teal flannel

the bottom row 3 button pics are the navy/windowcheck

18. Get Smart

Just out of curiousity, do all jackets come with dual vents? Also would it be possible to have no shoulder padding on the jackets? Last but not least, if I were to wear one of your suits, what would be the biggest tie width deemed appropriate given the styling of your suits? Thanks!
    all jackets are double vented. If you're interested in a natural shoulder with no pads, the suit i'm working on right now might be for you. It's a 3 roll 2 jacket with dual vents, no ticket pocket, natural shoulder, fitted ivy-style sack suit. I think under 3" tie is perfect for my stuff. (what Bandwagonesque said)

19. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Well-Known Member

all jackets are double vented. If you're interested in a natural shoulder with no pads, the suit i'm working on right now might be for you. It's a 3 roll 2 jacket with dual vents, no ticket pocket, natural shoulder, fitted ivy-style sack suit. I think under 3" tie is perfect for my stuff. (what Bandwagonesque said)
    hmm if that suit you just mentioned was in a light grey, I would be very inclined to buy one in the near future. Oh yah kudos to you on the pants leg openings; 16 inch leg openings are what i've been looking to get for the longest time, since the standard 19-20 inch pant legs for suits tend to cover too much shoe for me.

20. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

How can a sack suit be fitted?