1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Zam Barrett Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by 1234, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

People who get super butthurt about designers "copying" someone, or not being "inventive" enough make me lol. Oh noes, Zam's jacket looks like a Devoa jacket. His pants have twists like some other designers. His leather jackets use leather. Who fucking cares?

Everyone takes inspiration from everyone. What's wrong with that? Why do designers have to break new ground constantly? How many new ways of making and sewing pants do we really need?

3 people like this.
  2. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

The reality is that everything is a copy of something in one way or another, CCP copied his style from who knows what because he obviously needed to get inspiration from somewhere.

3. grizzlybear

They're just butthurt like everyone else that isn't doing it/making money from it. I'm starting to print shirts with my own designs, why? Because it makes MONEY! Tees are something that everyone can afford and theres a good margin of profit so hell yeah I'm copying somebody elses shit! :foo:

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

cowboy boots :devil:

1 person likes this.
  5. Zamb

Zamb Senior member Affiliate Vendor

6. futuresailors

futuresailors Senior member

Zam, you have the civility of a saint.

Equating Zam's use of overlock stitching to ripping off CCP would be like saying (to StyleForum-ize it) "Petar Petrov uses straight stitching, he's ripping off Ervell!"
    It's a construction technique that just happens to be favored in that particular niche.

Simply because that aesthetic has some distinct design elements doesn't mean that they can be ascribed to solely the "original" designers and everyone else is just simulacra. We don't get all in a tizzy when innumerable companies make pleated pants or peak lapel blazers and write all but one off as copies.

The weightless stuff sounds interesting, though I'm curious as to why you didn't produce pants.

5 people like this.
  7. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

Yes, I knew you would post here, and I also knew you would say my example is weak. Fact is nothing either of us says will convince each other otherwise.

Remember what I mentioned before; others echo me in person, but not online.

Looking forward to seeing you at your workshop in the near future. Till then.....

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

sure you did

9. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

It's a bit hard to suddenly provide examples since I obviously don't keep an extensive archive of your work + other similar works, but I've managed to assemble a few. Keep in mind that I never stated that any of your works are direct knock-offs, just that key concepts of your brand seemed heavily inspired from others and that I couldn't feel the uniqueness of Zam Barrett, I guess. I don't think you necessarily need to feel bad about this or care about my opinion ... just, it is what it is.

(Zam first, other brand second)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Plus, the aforementioned Devoa coat, and other things which are very common amongst many brands in your niche like heavily curved tapered pants)

However, I'll confess that while looking for examples to fit my thesis, I also found a lot of interesting pieces by you which I couldn't think of any analog to, and that I would be interested in seeing/trying. I guess it's just that for me, the "vision" your brand represents never stood out to me, and I overwhelmingly remembered the negative things I had felt as people are often wont to do. So if your goal here was to put naysayers in their place, well, mission accomplished I guess – I do feel kind of foolish.

However, when you say, and I quote: "I borrow nothing from no one."

That is a heavy burden to put onto yourself, and one that I don't think is necessary.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    3 people like this.
  10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Custom Zam pants :)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

^those pants fit perfectly.

Brad, the double buckle is not ccp's. do a google search of double buckle belt and you'll be disappointed.
    The pants' feature totally different seaming; the only similarity is the overlock stitching.
    the patchwork pants? I mean come on man. How many people have done patch work pieces? It's been around as long as clothing itself.

CCP boots and derbies feature a very similar last to high end english footwear. He only diverges in the leather treatment and distressing.
    His sneakers draw so heavily on converse they'd be NOTHING without the converse design. And his jeans are...levis in different fabric, cut, and over lock stitching.

12. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Did you read any of the text in my post or just glance through the images?

Also, I did a GIS search for "double buckle belt" and there is nothing resembling either of the two belts.

I'm not even a CCP fan or even talking about CCP, so I am not sure why you're bringing that up.

13. grizzlybear

1. Not like your opinion matters in the real world in the first place

and

2. The exact reason why this shouldnt even be discussed.

Like it has been repeated even if it was a direct "copy" of something Zam is the one sourcing, directing, and making the pieces (aka putting in the work) and everyone else is just bitching, so you either like it and shut up or don't say anything at all.

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Does this mean that nobody can say mean things about Hedi Slimane in the SLP thread anymore? It's not like this is an affiliate thread.

Even if I was to agree that my posts were out of line, your comment makes no sense. I was asked by Zam to give some examples so I did and left my thoughts. That's enough.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    3 people like this.
  15. grizzlybear

I was more so directing my comment to Uzairh but you also act as if you are the know it all in fashion and its a little annoying dude, a majority of the time you act like a douchebag/jet type.

1 person likes this.
  16. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It's not slanderous to say something is derivative. Do you think an MC-er would be offended if you told him his suit looked like a Huntsman? If everyone could do that then noone would make the trip to Savile Row/Naples etc. It's a skill to be able to see what looks good in other designs and adopt them.

Brad et al are not "bitching" or moaning here so I don't really understand the commotion. I don't think anyone needs to justify taking inspiration from anyone esle. Just don't expect us all to sit round and commentate that it's revolutionary design or anything like that.

17. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Can you all stfu now? No one in here knows nothing including myself with the exception of Zam who at least puts his creativity to work. Everyone who is being critical seems to have some entitlement complex like their opinion is absolute. Get over yourself and go make something if you want to be OG

Great if you enjoy the work, if not and you got nothing nice to say, please keep your comments to yourself. Didn't your mother teach you anything?

Mother's Day is this Sunday, you know what to do.

5 people like this.
  18. Zamb

19. Zamb

Your comparisons are very interesting.
    I respect the fact that you were at least honest enough to admit that in your research you saw more of my work that gave you a broader perspective of what I do. As i said before, the siamese belt is nothing more that a fusion of two of out classic slim belt. If you were to cut the belt apart down the length of the belt, you would end up with two individual belts.

Patchwork jeans have been around forever, so I don't think anyone can claim ownership of, or accuse anyone of copying that that. Our Zero Jeans was created as a series of garments along with the Zero Jacket as a study in Zero waste. I have never seen the one you presented before though. I know Number Nine did one several seasons ago, but I don't know by which designer the one you are showing was made

Also never seen the jacket you presented before, nor do I know which designer its from. That pocket / dart configuration is a classic detail, used more so in women wear than mens, been around for ages. I would like if you could take a look at the entire Jacket which that pocket is a part of, rather than just the pocket detail itself.

The Jeans comparison is interesting. and i say this because they Jeans is a development on our classic Soft J pants that are made with three panels on the leg instead of the traditional two, and has been one of the oldest pants offerings from our studio, existing before the release of the CCP dead end jeans. It would have been impossible for any designer to copy something that was made AFTER the item that is accused of being a copy.

20. Zamb

I agree with you to an extent,
    except what is happening here isn't so much saying something is derivative, but that my entire offering of work as a designer is based simply on an approach of taking elements from others and appropriating it and calling it my own......
    Every designer draws inspiration from some source, and no one starts with a blank canvas in designing. For me as i said before, I have no interest in being a revolutionary, and I think a part of the problem is that many of us have established a standard for ourselves by which we judge designers, with Aesthetic coherence and Vision being the chief judging factor. Whenever someone like comes along that does not fit the traditional expectations that we have established then it becomes difficult for us to change our understanding or expectations.

My business is built on a different set of principles than most, in part because i have a different skill set than most modern designers, and in part because I realized if I was gonna build a business, in order to be successful I would have to take a different route than the traditional ones taken.