The Zam Barrett Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by 1234, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

People who get super butthurt about designers "copying" someone, or not being "inventive" enough make me lol. Oh noes, Zam's jacket looks like a Devoa jacket. His pants have twists like some other designers. His leather jackets use leather. Who fucking cares?

Everyone takes inspiration from everyone. What's wrong with that? Why do designers have to break new ground constantly? How many new ways of making and sewing pants do we really need?

2. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

The reality is that everything is a copy of something in one way or another, CCP copied his style from who knows what because he obviously needed to get inspiration from somewhere.

3. grizzlybear

They're just butthurt like everyone else that isn't doing it/making money from it. I'm starting to print shirts with my own designs, why? Because it makes MONEY! Tees are something that everyone can afford and theres a good margin of profit so hell yeah I'm copying somebody elses shit! :foo:

4. Mr. Moo

cowboy boots :devil:

5. Zamb

Zamb Senior member Affiliate Vendor

6. futuresailors

futuresailors Senior member

Zam, you have the civility of a saint.

Equating Zam's use of overlock stitching to ripping off CCP would be like saying (to StyleForum-ize it) "Petar Petrov uses straight stitching, he's ripping off Ervell!"
    It's a construction technique that just happens to be favored in that particular niche.

Simply because that aesthetic has some distinct design elements doesn't mean that they can be ascribed to solely the "original" designers and everyone else is just simulacra. We don't get all in a tizzy when innumerable companies make pleated pants or peak lapel blazers and write all but one off as copies.

The weightless stuff sounds interesting, though I'm curious as to why you didn't produce pants.

7. uzairh

uzairh Senior member

Yes, I knew you would post here, and I also knew you would say my example is weak. Fact is nothing either of us says will convince each other otherwise.

Remember what I mentioned before; others echo me in person, but not online.

Looking forward to seeing you at your workshop in the near future. Till then.....

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

sure you did

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

It's a bit hard to suddenly provide examples since I obviously don't keep an extensive archive of your work + other similar works, but I've managed to assemble a few. Keep in mind that I never stated that any of your works are direct knock-offs, just that key concepts of your brand seemed heavily inspired from others and that I couldn't feel the uniqueness of Zam Barrett, I guess. I don't think you necessarily need to feel bad about this or care about my opinion ... just, it is what it is.

(Zam first, other brand second)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Plus, the aforementioned Devoa coat, and other things which are very common amongst many brands in your niche like heavily curved tapered pants)

However, I'll confess that while looking for examples to fit my thesis, I also found a lot of interesting pieces by you which I couldn't think of any analog to, and that I would be interested in seeing/trying. I guess it's just that for me, the "vision" your brand represents never stood out to me, and I overwhelmingly remembered the negative things I had felt as people are often wont to do. So if your goal here was to put naysayers in their place, well, mission accomplished I guess – I do feel kind of foolish.

However, when you say, and I quote: "I borrow nothing from no one."

That is a heavy burden to put onto yourself, and one that I don't think is necessary.

Last edited: May 10, 2013

10. Mr. Moo

11. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

^those pants fit perfectly.

Brad, the double buckle is not ccp's. do a google search of double buckle belt and you'll be disappointed.
    The pants' feature totally different seaming; the only similarity is the overlock stitching.
    the patchwork pants? I mean come on man. How many people have done patch work pieces? It's been around as long as clothing itself.

CCP boots and derbies feature a very similar last to high end english footwear. He only diverges in the leather treatment and distressing.
    His sneakers draw so heavily on converse they'd be NOTHING without the converse design. And his jeans are...levis in different fabric, cut, and over lock stitching.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Did you read any of the text in my post or just glance through the images?

Also, I did a GIS search for "double buckle belt" and there is nothing resembling either of the two belts.

I'm not even a CCP fan or even talking about CCP, so I am not sure why you're bringing that up.

13. grizzlybear

1. Not like your opinion matters in the real world in the first place

and

2. The exact reason why this shouldnt even be discussed.

Like it has been repeated even if it was a direct "copy" of something Zam is the one sourcing, directing, and making the pieces (aka putting in the work) and everyone else is just bitching, so you either like it and shut up or don't say anything at all.

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Does this mean that nobody can say mean things about Hedi Slimane in the SLP thread anymore? It's not like this is an affiliate thread.

Even if I was to agree that my posts were out of line, your comment makes no sense. I was asked by Zam to give some examples so I did and left my thoughts. That's enough.

Last edited: May 10, 2013

15. grizzlybear

I was more so directing my comment to Uzairh but you also act as if you are the know it all in fashion and its a little annoying dude, a majority of the time you act like a douchebag/jet type.