• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

icecube

Reaction score
I'd be cool with that, but could we change the color to a dark brown?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, Gents. I'm here with crack size reporting for my fellow fat footers. Thanks to the kind folks at Goodyear Welt and Carmina, I received my cognac cordovan PTBs yesterday in Detroit size 10 EEE (extra wide). Since I've not read of anyone reporting on this last before, I'd like to think I'm breaking news for anyone interested.

length 10 is spot on against the following makes:

AE 10.5
Alden 10.5
Vass (P2) 44

Enzo Bonafe (946 last) size 10 is ever so slightly shorter than al of the above makes.

How does the width work for me? Pretty well! I find it just a hair more narrow in the ball than the AE 5-65 last in EEE width. About the same as Enzo Bonafe 946 H width. Slightly more narrow than the AE 511 last in EEE, and noticeably more narrow than both the Vass P2 in H width and the Alden Barrie last in EEE. However, I think there's a good chance that one (like me) could wear all of these sizes comfortably.

Now, one drawback. Despite being a touch narrow in the ball and toe, the Detroit last EEE is fitting me a little too loosely in the heel. It seems like the last is extra wide all over, not just in the ball and toe box like Alden's combination lasts, for example. I'm hoping I'll get a little less heel slip as the cork bed sinks.

I have two Rain EEE makeups on special order with Carmina (a calf chelsea and suede chukka), and I am fully expecting Rain to fit more narrowly than Detroit. But fortunately, neither are shell, so I'm hoping that they will break in and stretch more to accommodate my extra-wide dogs.

Anyway, on to the pictures!

Bonafe 946 Last size 10 H, Carmina Detroit Last size 10 EEE, AE 5-65 Last size 10.5 EEE, Vass Peter 2 Last, size 44 H

AE 5-65 Last vs Carmina Detroit

Bonafe 946 last vs Carmina Detroit

Vass Peter 2 Last vs Carmina Detroit

AE 1-511 Last vs Carmina Detroit

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the exhaustive reporting and pics, pepper. This is really helpful. I've been looking to get in on a Carmina GMTO sometime soon to do a wide fitting, this makes me feel a little more confident that it will work.

shagedelic

Reaction score

In short, you have short toes. :crazy:http://brannock.com/pages/instructions-fitting-tips

Edit: to be more precise, the ball of your foot, or the flex point, measured a US 11. The length of the foot to the toe, was only a US 10. That means your flex point will hit the proper point in a size eleven shoe, but you only need a shoe with the length to fit a size 10 length foot. If you wear a size 10, you'd run the risk of having the flex point be too far towards your ankle. Then there's the width. You need a shoe that allows for the EE width of your foot. All this mens is that you probably need to start with a EE shoe sized 11, but check the flex point and test a size 10 and 10.5, and play around with widths. A 10.5 EEE might work better in certain lasts.

But the brannock device is a 2 dimensional measuring device. The foot is obviously 3 dimensional. You need to pay attention to your instep and whether it is high or low.

FWIW, I have one foot that is a EEE and one that is a E. The E is longer than the EEE due to a bunion. Finding comfortable shoes is a constant frustration.

I feel you on the last part. So what sizing have you found on RTW models that fits best for such a ****** situation?

Sudonihm

Reaction score
since I am not willing to go the bespoke shoe route, I look for a balance of comfort, fit and style. I know that high volume shoes like Derbys tend to work better for me, as do boots. I make sure my wider foot has space. It's easier and more comfortable to adjust the other foot. There isn't much that can be done if the shoe is too narrow. So I am resigned, generally, to EEE or G or H for both feet.

The Cheaney 11028 in G fit does work for me.

kickstand

Reaction score
Thrifted a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Ave 8.5 eee. Just saw this thread for the first time and thought I would offer these. They are beat up no doubt about it. Just want to find someone who'd wear them. Be a perfect beater shoe for a rainy or nasty day. PM me if interested.

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
Thrifted a pair of 11.5 Neumoks in 3E in great condition. PM me if interested!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I have a pair of pristine AE Natural Shell Cordovan Strands on Dainite.

Size: 10EE

65 last.

Price: $550

I am offering them here first, then to the marketplace and then to Ebay.

They should sell quickly.

Thanks.

Here they are:

image_zpslnazuu6u.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heya Watchy. Those look great. Too bad they're not half a size longer and one E wider! Why are ye selling, by the by?

cj610

Reaction score

Gentlemen,

I have a pair of pristine AE Natural Shell Cordovan Strands on Dainite.

I am offering them here first, then to the marketplace and then to Ebay.

They should sell quickly.

Thanks.

Nice shoes. I wish I could fit in them. 1 size off. GLWS and thanks for posting them up here first.........................
Ed

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heya Watchy. Those look great. Too bad they're not half a size longer and one E wider! Why are ye selling, by the by?

The fit was never what I was looking for.

So, I bought a pair of Walnut Shell Cordovan Strands here on SF to replace these.

The new Strands I bought are 10EEE.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fit was never what I was looking for.

So, I bought a pair of Walnut Shell Cordovan Strands here on SF to replace these.

The new Strands I bought are 10EEE.

Score. I handled that very pair at AE Madison just over a year ago. Enjoy!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Score. I handled that very pair at AE Madison just over a year ago. Enjoy!

How would you describe the quality and color of that pair then?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you describe the quality and color of that pair then?

Don't trust my shoddy memory, but I seem to recall them being on the lighter side of walnut runs. I dunno, looked good enough for me to wish they were a little longer...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads