• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
mikey, sometimes you just gotta believe the heart of the cards.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MC's advice to SVB was regarding what his "ideal" trouser shape should be. I think we would agree that the generous cut is appropriate for this particular suit. It is not, however, a great candidate for his personal archetypal suit.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
@AlexanderTG I really dig that, but the toebox strikes me as a little slim, especially given the taper of the jeans (most clear from first detail pic). Anyone else feel the same way? Also, wish you had a detail pic of the jacket!

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

Maison Martin Margiela - Virgin Wool/Mohair Marble Suit - Dark Olive Wool Shirt - Gun Metal ID Bracelet - Replica 70's Cuban Heel Sidezip

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@AlexanderTG I really dig that, but the toebox strikes me as a little slim, especially given the taper of the jeans (most clear from first detail pic). Anyone else feel the same way? Also, wish you had a detail pic of the jacket!

Thanks for the feedback, VitaTimH. I don't wear the Guidis much at all and, therefore, haven't really figured out what they look best with.

Any suggestions would be great. I guess I figured the wide hem of the PRPS wouldn't clash to badly with the wide Guidi toe box.

Don't have a better pic of the jacket, unfortunately.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regis, awesome.

SVB, I say taper. The pants look fuller than the jacket to me.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The CM guys are telling me to get the pants tapered below the knee. The leg opening is currently 9.5" which is actually pretty huge. I think I may have my tailor take it down to 8.5 which is still pretty decently "full" without being too crazy. The process can always be reversed if it looks weird.

tumblr_nq1jzz96YH1r8bgano1_540.jpg

tumblr_nq1k14zz761r8bgano1_540.jpg

tumblr_nq0grqA9dq1r8bgano1_540.jpg

Go like the Fall 08, where it's slim through the thigh to knee and its fuller that the bottom. I have some jeans by SS that actually fit similar not super wide but narrow through the hip and regular fit below the knee and I like it a lot. I know Parker's fit was pretty badass a while back ago too.

http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashion-shows/fall-2008-menswear/saint-laurent/collection/7

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Go like the Fall 08, where it's slim through the thigh to knee and its fuller that the bottom. I have some jeans by SS that actually fit similar not super wide but narrow through the hip and regular fit below the knee and I like it a lot. I know Parker's fit was pretty badass a while back ago too.

http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashion-shows/fall-2008-menswear/saint-laurent/collection/7

Yeah, see that is awesome. The CM guys' advice is not wrong, but maybe I just don't want to be another CM WAYWRN clone.

I wore the suit on the metro today and walking around downtown for a meeting I had in the afternoon, and I've gotta say, I love how it feels and how it moves and it may not match current styles or CM preferences but it's not like it's completely outrageous either. Opposing counsel today had a paisley tie and a combover so I'm not about to start feeling self-conscious about my pants hem width of all things.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads