• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be clear, I was thinking of something more bold than a 574. I realize that 990s aren't rare or anything these days, but I do think quite a few colorways are bold enough to do the job (I'm not looking for gray).

I also love bold/chunky loafers. I have some loafers that fit the bill, for sure, and would really like something from, say, F.E. Castleberry, but I've bad some back / posture issues, and I gotta focus on sneakers for now.

I'm not thinking of my style in terms of which section of styleforum it fits into better. ALD, if anything, is closer to what I'm trying to do. But I'm drawing inspiration from a lot of different places and trying to condense it into something of my own.

One thing I keep coming back to is sleep as a casual perspective. I'm not ultimately super into workwear or athleisure or anything like that. I am a city slicker, I want to be cozy in my free time. Relaxed fits and cozy knits are part of that. I know that belted overcoats are going to be a big part of that, and slippers presumably will be too, and a couple of tartan flannel shirts, and a lot of other things I can't just buy overnight. But I don't think Salomon's hiking-ish features hit what I want. I do need sneakers though, and I hate vans, so I think the sort of... evolved dadcore aspect of a bright purple 990 would work well enough. Or at least cover my more ALD-adjacent perspectives.

IMO, and please, this is just my opinion that no one asked for - this is the core issue at play here. You're trying to straddle the middle, and it's ends up not really working that well for either.

Any 990, especially purple, would not work here. I think you have to go directional, and try for something specific, in order for the whole thing to work.

OK maybe a 550 might be ok

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t he know to not bite the hand that feeds you?!

@hendrix cool fits and the hair flow is on point my man! Is that a Seiko digital watch I see? Or a Casio?

Thanks. Yup just casio.

@hendrix would love to know the deets on some of the shirts you've been posting here recently. They look really nice especially in the context of the fits.

haha they're actually just basic recycled viscose short sleeve shirts from Cotton On, a mall brand here. And I just never iron anything.

The quality is not great (pretty terrible actually) but I really like the fit. I have 7 identical black ones because of how they fit, and it's a good blank canvas that suits my style. It's kinda the one sorta uniform piece I have.

I think eventually I will find some nicer basic short sleeve shirts from somewhere, because as I said the quality is pretty crappy and they have shrunk significantly in the wash which is annoying.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brain dead x SN.jpg

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Don’t think he comprehends what u r trying to convey, @troika

Yeah, I'm struggling to get his piont. I don't appreciate your attitude, though.

IMO, and please, this is just my opinion that no one asked for - this is the core issue at play here. You're trying to straddle the middle, and it's ends up not really working that well for either.

Again, I'm not trying to straddle the middle, I'm rejecting the dichotomy. The CM/SWD binary was ridiculous to begin with. I'm not trying to take elements of each. I'm trying to make good outfits to my own standard, and when I come here, if I do want to post an outfit, I post it where I think they'll come closer to fitting in, not in the "correct" bucket between the two inherently silly buckets. I understand that the community here has certain norms, but I'm not targeting those norms.

Any 990, especially purple, would not work here. I think you have to go directional, and try for something specific, in order for the whole thing to work.

OK maybe a 550 might be ok

"Directional" and "specific" aren't really doing any work in this explanation. I'm not sure why you think a Salomon or an ASICS/kiko or a 550 would work better. You want more tension and contrast, but I do think colorful 990s achieve both tension and contrast. I'm not sure how Salomons contrast more than purple 990s. I'm certainly not sure how 550s contrast more. And NBs in general feel quite chunky to me.

I'm not saying that purple 990s are really the pair, I'd have to play around with future pairs of sneakers. But I'm really not sure what you're getting at. I'd appreciate some more clarity. What direction are you thinking? What, specifically, is the feature a sneaker needs to fit this outfit?

Reaction score
Thanks. Yup just casio.

haha they're actually just basic recycled viscose short sleeve shirts from Cotton On, a mall brand here. And I just never iron anything.

The quality is not great (pretty terrible actually) but I really like the fit. I have 7 identical black ones because of how they fit, and it's a good blank canvas that suits my style. It's kinda the one sorta uniform piece I have.

I think eventually I will find some nicer basic short sleeve shirts from somewhere, because as I said the quality is pretty crappy and they have shrunk significantly in the wash which is annoying.

This is really helpful, actually! Thanks! This summer, my buddy bought a bunch of silk Tommy Bahama (I think) shirts in, like, black silk off eBay and they look pretty sweet. Not quite the same, but I think if they work, why not?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm struggling to get his piont. I don't appreciate your attitude, though.

Again, I'm not trying to straddle the middle, I'm rejecting the dichotomy. The CM/SWD binary was ridiculous to begin with. I'm not trying to take elements of each. I'm trying to make good outfits to my own standard, and when I come here, if I do want to post an outfit, I post it where I think they'll come closer to fitting in, not in the "correct" bucket between the two inherently silly buckets. I understand that the community here has certain norms, but I'm not targeting those norms.

"Directional" and "specific" aren't really doing any work in this explanation. I'm not sure why you think a Salomon or an ASICS/kiko or a 550 would work better. You want more tension and contrast, but I do think colorful 990s achieve both tension and contrast. I'm not sure how Salomons contrast more than purple 990s. I'm certainly not sure how 550s contrast more. And NBs in general feel quite chunky to me.

I'm not saying that purple 990s are really the pair, I'd have to play around with future pairs of sneakers. But I'm really not sure what you're getting at. I'd appreciate some more clarity. What direction are you thinking? What, specifically, is the feature a sneaker needs to fit this outfit?

You look good, so don't worry about it too much.

I also don't like the NBs in that fit.

I think I'd prefer some shoes or loafers or something, particularly with the wqy those trousers are cuffed.

Alternatively let out the cuff and let them kinda break loosely over some sneakers.

Not a big deal, you'll figure it out.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am still trying to figure out my own SWD style(s) so maybe this is way off base. Your comments "CM/SWD binary", "dichotomy", and "two...silly buckets" suggest to me that you think of "SWD" as a single way of dressing. I don't think that's true. What I find challenging is that there are many different languages within SWD, to use Dieworkwear's metaphor.

I think what I'm hearing from @troika is that you're trying to write a sentence but the elements do not fit with one another. I think there are indeed norms within SWD but many different norms, and before I try to transcend them I am just trying to understand some of them individually.

Was just at the Detroit Institute of Art today, and seeing how great artists first learned by copying the "norms" of their times before finding their own directions.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You look good, so don't worry about it too much.

I also don't like the NBs in that fit.

I think I'd prefer some shoes or loafers or something, particularly with the wqy those trousers are cuffed.

Alternatively let out the cuff and let them kinda break loosely over some sneakers.

Not a big deal, you'll figure it out.

I see that. I'll probably still wear them with loafers and other dress shoes in the future, but I wanted to wear sneakers on this day, and idk, it just worked for me. But yeah, these are oxxford trousers, crease and cuff and pleats and heavy wool flannel, they're not made to work with sneakers, I know it's going to be a tough nut to crack.

I am still trying to figure out my own SWD style(s) so maybe this is way off base. Your comments "CM/SWD binary", "dichotomy", and "two...silly buckets" suggest to me that you think of "SWD" as a single way of dressing. I don't think that's true. What I find challenging is that there are many different languages within SWD, to use Dieworkwear's metaphor. I think what I'm hearing from @troika is that you're trying to write a sentence but the elements do not fit with one another. I think there are indeed norms within SWD but many different norms, and before I try to transcend them I am just trying to understand some of them individually.

I got the impression that it was more like "NBs are a CM basic sneaker, they don't work for SWD-type fits, you need something that is non-CM to escape that category and break into this category." I realize that SWD is more than one specific style, but styleforum SWD is still a very narrow selection of styles against the greater world out there.

I mean, specifically, I can point to ALD (known for more than just the 550s and chunky loafers, certainly associated with 990s), Bookcore (Derek specifically calls out NB 574s and big overcoats), and dadcore vibes, each of which I know exist on SWD, but which apparently miss the feature of the zeitgeist Troika is trying to capture with his criticism. I think I undertand quite a few norms, just not SWD norms. I think I'm playing on norms I understand reasonably well, they might just not be norms here. I am sure I can improve on the 574s, but I really don't see how they break the fit.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey man, we're all trying to help. Please try to give us the benefit of the doubt. I doubt verver was being mean, please don't take this stuff personally, it's just clothes.

I do think there is a general demeanor of overthinking going on, and someone else expanded on my point. I'll just say that I think asics or salomons would create a healthy tension of high/low, and straddle a nice contrast streetwear/classic menswear. If you're curious about my opinion or want more feedback, we can dig a little deeper.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I do think there is a general demeanor of overthinking going on, and someone else expanded on my point. I'll just say that I think asics or salomons would create a healthy tension of high/low, and straddle a nice contrast streetwear/classic menswear. If you're curious about my opinion or want more feedback, we can dig a little deeper.

I really do want to dig deeper, I do think you see something, I'm just not sure why New Balances and Karhus can't create that tension. It's not like I'm suggeting common projects or some other blank slate of a shoe. I've never called anything a "dress sneaker" in my life. I can see how NB 574s are common, and kind of basic, but they're still "low" in the sense of being a colorful sneaker with a big, bold logo. 990s are only common and basic among menswear afficionados, and Karhus are at least as rare and as casual as Salomons. Maybe they're less street, or less of a hiking vibe, I have some understanding of where salomons and asics fit in streetwear in general, and I guess they are closer to that context than NBs which fit in the ALD / Bookcore / Dadcore / menswear merger end of the culture, but that's not a visual feature, that's just where they sit in the culture. Visually, they do create the high-low, it's only an expected combination because ALD / TF guys have been doing it, because it's kind of easy. Right?

I do have a pair of Asics / Onitsuka Tigers, but I've been off them lately. I could see them working with these trousers, I guess, but they're black and white, and I just don't like them in the greater context of this fit, like I usually don't like them against a lot of navy.

Hey man, we're all trying to help. Please try to give us the benefit of the doubt. I doubt verver was being mean, please don't take this stuff personally, it's just clothes.

yeah, I don't get the impression he was trying to help. It felt verly likely to me that he was going for a cheap, pointless insult. I was asking you follow-up questions and you're explaining, we didn't need anybody else to tell us that I didn't quite understand. And I think it's more clear in the context of his latest insistence that it was no attitude, and "just facts." I've been on this planet long enough to know not to trust people who insist that their opinions are "just facts."

This forum is full of toxicity. You're being riendly, and I appreciate that, but he just isn't.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I really do want to dig deeper, I do think you see something, I'm just not sure why New Balances and Karhus can't create that tension. It's not like I'm suggeting common projects or some other blank slate of a shoe. I've never called anything a "dress sneaker" in my life. I can see how NB 574s are common, and kind of basic, but they're still "low" in the sense of being a colorful sneaker with a big, bold logo. 990s are only common and basic among menswear afficionados, and Karhus are at least as rare and as casual as Salomons. Maybe they're less street, or less of a hiking vibe, I have some understanding of where salomons and asics fit in streetwear in general, and I guess they are closer to that context than NBs which fit in the ALD / Bookcore / Dadcore / menswear merger end of the culture, but that's not a visual feature, that's just where they sit in the culture. Visually, they do create the high-low, it's only an expected combination because ALD / TF guys have been doing it, because it's kind of easy. Right?

I do have a pair of Asics / Onitsuka Tigers, but I've been off them lately. I could see them working with these trousers, I guess, but they're black and white, and I just don't like them in the greater context of this fit, like I usually don't like them against a lot of navy.

yeah, I don't get the impression he was trying to help. It felt verly likely to me that he was going for a cheap, pointless insult. I was asking you follow-up questions and you're explaining, we didn't need anybody else to tell us that I didn't quite understand. And I think it's more clear in the context of his latest insistence that it was no attitude, and "just facts." I've been on this planet long enough to know not to trust people who insist that their opinions are "just facts."

This forum is full of toxicity. You're being riendly, and I appreciate that, but he just isn't.

you have an overinflated ego that makes you unable to take healthy and constructive criticism, and you also dress like **** while being incapable of realizing that you dress like ****, so you wave off anything that goes against your **** tastes as toxicity to protect your fragile ego. and if nothing else, how poorly you dress is indicative that you are not at a level you can separate good opinion from the bad, as being able to do so requires a baseline level of knowledge of style, fit, and fashion. how’s that for a dose of reality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads