• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
No problem my friend, that wasn't directed towards you or anyone. Just wanted to point out my mistake. SF can get sensitive but usually when some level of courtesy is shown you get it back ten fold from my experience

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But what do they do for a living? Does how they dress matter where they work? If it doesn't, they can pretty much dress however they like. That's not true of most people, at least not for people who are trying to fit in in their workplace. And so what if the guys you mention dress in an interesting manner? I know how that might sound being that we're on a style forum and everything, but who gives a ****? Is there any inherent value to dressing in an "interesting manner"? It's ultimately meaningless, isn't it?

Though your work can restrict you in terms of the clothing you wear, it also doesn't have to define your style. c4est has long been one of the most interesting posters here, and for quite a while he couldn't really wear swd stuff 5 days out of the week. Though c4est is younger and has a different lifestyle, I don't think yohji is too far off of a shot for someone like stitches. Just because you wear some yohji doesn't mean you can't raise a family.

Let's not boil down anything to meaningless here. We're talking on an enthusiast forum where we cream over small details like taped seams or the holy grail of sweatpants. If you aren't interested in dressing in an "interesting manner", then you shouldn't post here. I will wholeheartedly say that every person, even noobies who make their first post, want to dress an in interesting manner in some quality or another. Whether that is yohji or MC wear, it doesn't matter. But there is most definitely value to it, and maybe shah's vision of stitches isn't very practical, but practicality is a very low on the list when you spend paychecks on boots.

@g transistor, what do you think of my SWD fits that I have put together? Also, dont care, too boring, or do you just find my MC fits to be that way?

I like your SWD fits a lot. A lot of them are really interesting in the context of your lifestyle, work fits, etc, and this is why I think yohji isn't too far off for you. It may not be worth it to have yohji to wear in those few times where you are able to do so, but then again it may be worth it.

Last edited:

Cacatfish

Reaction score

The problem is that, relative to SWD, MC is restrictive. I mean, take a look at many of the MC posters who have successfully integrated into SWD... they all mostly have a definite SWD flair. While Stitches fits are nice and enjoyable (I like you a lot, stitchy), I almost always gloss over his fits because frankly, I don't really care. I think they're boring. I think suit textures are boring. I think tie colors are boring. I think MC shoes are boring. I think collar spreads are boring. That's why I think it's a great idea for stitches to branch out and take some suggestions maybe outside his comfort zone a little, especially since he has shown enthusiasm for SWD stuff before. If he wants to explore, then that's awesome, no harm done. If stitchy gets excited about zam or whatever, why the hell are people telling him not to buy it? Just because you buy or have an interest in Yohji or zam doesn't mean you dress like a hobo. It's possible to be interested in SWD brands and wear them while having a job that requires suit-wear.

Most of all, Mr Moo should stop acting like a financial father figure to stitches when he is probably one of the most prolific "buy things that don't fit my style" guy around here. Please stop. Please.

It's important to take Shah's comments in the context of SWD. Sure, to many people, MC may be super diverse with all the different combinations of stuff and buttoning stances and lapels and pleats no pleats? oh look pants break oh no break yadda yadda yadda. In comparison, SWD "diversity" is Ghostface's and Synthese' ridiculous versatility to wear different styles. It's brad t vs. regis. It's shah vs c4est. I don't know. I probably don't even know what I'm talking about because maybe there's a whole world of MC wear out there that would make me really horny, but I think Shah has a valid point here.

I want to see stitches dress like beefy woodsman style on his off days.

Last edited:

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
these are way, way, way better than anything Zam has put out
Pope,

chiming in from paris as Im at the airport with not much to do but wait on my flight

I dont know if better is the right word to use here, we offer a wider range and variety of pants than Erik does, his approach is different from mine and as such yields different results. Maybe it is more suited to your taste than the pants you have seen from us. His work is indeed very good, especially the New collection he just did that i saw in paris because we are now represented by the same showroom
Please do give him the kind of support you all have given me though as he is a designer worthy of support. He takes his work very seriously and is committed to true craftsmanship and i am happy to call him a friend!

My prices are less expensive than most designers in the same market because my approach is different from others. also something to consider is that we own our own production facilities here in NYC (Zfactorie) and as such we manage to save some where a lot of other designers have to factor into their prices. you guys are fortunate that we are able to do what woe do and not have to sell for a lot more money because of this blessing of handling our own production.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like your SWD fits a lot. A lot of them are really interesting in the context of your lifestyle, work fits, etc, and this is why I think yohji isn't too far off for you. It may not be worth it to have yohji to wear in those few times where you are able to do so, but then again it may be worth it.

Well that is very very nice to hear. :)

I was hoping that my SWD fits were more appealing to some of the SWD crowd, than perhaps my MC fits were, to that group of dudes that do not like MC gear much. Thanks for answering. I have not decided about yohji for the here and now, but its something I definitely want to try at some point.

---

As to the whole brouhaha that has developed, I see it as follows, and there are a lot of different pieces here.

1. What I do for a living, or how I have to dress when I am there, is almost irrelevant to the conversation. I pretty much work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. That leaves me nights, weekends, vacation days and other random off days to wear not work attire if i so choose. So there is more than ample time to wear a wide range of styles that might appeal to me. Its not like Im a lawyer or investment banker spending 100+ hours a week in an ultra conservative office.

2. I honestly enjoy my MC gear. I can appreciate that for some it may be boring or uninspired, and I bear no resentment to anyone who feels that way, but for me, that could not be further from the truth. While I do have a professional dress code at work that I have to adhere to, it certainly does not require me to ever wear a jacket and tie, and definitely not a suit. But even if I could wear jeans and a slutty tee to work, or decked out in yohji and flowing scarfs and wraps, and I would never have to don a tie all year, I would still wear my MC gear sometimes. Why? Because I enjoy it.

I do find it inspiring, and visually interesting, and challenging. Between finding the best cut for me, and putting together cohesive, coherent and visually pleasing, color, pattern and texture combinations, between all the working parts of a fit, shoes, socks, pants, belt, shirt, tie, jacket, PS, I find great satisfaction in executing that well. And I find that my best combinations are indeed visually interesting and inspiring (as narcissistic as that may sound). Or when I wear all solids for a real crisp and simple look, I love that too.

The same way I find it inspiring, visually interesting and challenging to put together a really cool SWD fit, and all that goes into making that right, and its no easy task as anyone here knows, thats how I feel about my MC fits. Ill add to that, that visa versa, I enjoy the best fits I see here, stuff I could never do/would never think of, just as much as I do the best fits I have seen on the other side. There is great beauty to both styles, for me.

I understand that some people here appreciate that, and enjoy those fits in the same way, and others do not. And yet others may see the whole MC genre as limited and restrictive. All that is good and well. Clothing is, in the end of the day, an exercise in aesthetics, and different things appeal to different people. As long as you are properly executing within the style you are looking for (yes, I firmly believe there are fits that are objectively bad within every genre, when they utterly fail to achieve their attempted goal), more power to you. No fit, or genre, will be universally loved, and if anyone is hoping for that, do yourself a favor and give up now, imho.

3. I do not think shah, or anyone else here is commanding me to do or not do, anything. They are noticing an interest I may have expressed in something, and replying, "hey, stitch, you know, if you are looking that direction, you may want to try, X, Y and Z, i think it might be a cool look for you." Thats great, the more opinions the better. I am a big boy (literally and figuratively), and I am able to discern after proper thought and trial and error, which ideas I want to incorporate into my style, and which I do not feel comfortable with. And on top of that, I am aware that over time those preferences may flip flop. I am not mentally or emotionally married to any specific dress ideals, for life.

So, those are my thoughts at present. Thanks for indulging me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads