• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It will shrink if he puts it in the dryer on high heat, not if he hang dries. But if it puts it in the dryer on high heat, it will not last long.

(I don't know why I felt the need to weigh in on this)

Do shirts really not shrink if hung to dry (and washed in cold water)? I mean, I've had shirts where I swear they've still shrunk, and I never put them into the dryer. Maybe I'm just getting fat!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quote: The weave tightens up a bit with water/agitation, but the real significant shrinkage comes from heat. Alas, this isn't Ask a Question....

Something went wrong when I washed the rest of my shirts and they had detergent residue after they dried so I had to pull out this MoM shirt I haven't worn in a while (French cuffs with pink Talbott MoP links) then I had to leave in a hurry so sloppytuck, earlier in the day they were laced completely and the pants were over the boots. Not adjusting contrast/levels, deal with it.

Also, was going to get my hair cut today but my top 3 choice stylists (hottest hipster girl, hot hipster girl, and decent gay dude) are apparently all out until Friday, the day which I will be flying away and there were no openings with anyone else I wanted near my head with sharp objects until tomorrow. Phaw! /rant

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the hair the way it is. And french cuffs + cufflinks is a little bzzzzzarrre without a jacket

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do shirts really not shrink if hung to dry (and washed in cold water)? I mean, I've had shirts where I swear they've still shrunk, and I never put them into the dryer. Maybe I'm just getting fat!

Both the washing machine and the clothes dryer can each cause clothing to shrink. Heat + agitation is what causes cotton fabric to shrink. The washing machine provides warm water + agitation, while the clothes dryer is similar with its heat + tumbling action.

If you want to minimize the amount of shrinkage caused by the washing machine then use cold water and no agitation. Just agitate the items lightly by hand instead. This is what I usually do.

Also, I've noticed most higher quality Japanese labels tend to not shrink much (if any), even when placed in the drier. I would still like to hear an explanation for why this is. Do they actually preshrink everything as part of the manufacturing process or are their fabrics somehow more resilient against shrinkage?

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the washing machine senses that you paid $400 for that tshirt and honors and respects it. that's why it shrinks less.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both the washing machine and the clothes dryer can each cause clothing to shrink. Heat + agitation is what causes cotton fabric to shrink. The washing machine provides warm water + agitation, while the clothes dryer is similar with its heat + tumbling action.

If you want to minimize the amount of shrinkage caused by the washing machine then use cold water and no agitation. Just agitate the items lightly by hand instead. This is what I usually do.

Also, I've noticed most higher quality Japanese labels tend to not shrink much (if any), even when placed in the drier. I would still like to hear an explanation for why this is. Do they actually preshrink everything as part of the manufacturing process or are their fabrics somehow more resilient against shrinkage?

Just had to throw that in there, otherwise we wouldn't recognise this as a BB1 post!

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I like the hair the way it is. And french cuffs + cufflinks is a little bzzzzzarrre without a jacket

I'm kinda thrown off by french cuffs + untucked shirt + boot tuck. I guess I think of french cuffs (or "double cuffs" if you're British and want to be a douche about it)* as more formal/traditional, so it seems a little odd to me to see them worn so casually. Then again, that shirt looks about the right length for wearing untucked, and what the hell do I know?

* j/k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads