• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you LA guy but the argument about potential client satisfaction tends to end up having racial, sexist etc applications because fact of the matter is people for **** reasons prefer 30 to 45 year old white males for a majority of things.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visable tats are like wearing avante grade or goth ninja to the office place. Is it not the same sort of discrimination? yet we all (those of you in a formal workplace) abide by it.

poilu

Reaction score

ndg
rugby rl
etro
trickers

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with you LA guy but the argument about potential client satisfaction tends to end up having racial, sexist etc applications because fact of the matter is people for **** reasons prefer 30 to 45 year old white males for a majority of things.

Well until it's illegal to discriminate against people for self inflicted changes in appearance people will continue to do so. If I decide to get a plug in my cheek no one is going to want me to make their pitch book. Regarding internal promotions racism and sexism is likely a problem, but just as an example Goldman has an insane amount of specific programs women and minorities (not of the asian kind sadly) can apply through. When I was interviewing at the bank I'm starting at they told me they were specifically looking to hire women for my role. Strangely enough at a moelis presentation I went to they told me they specifically try to match clients with teams who will make the comfortable, butI suppose with a smaller firm where everyone is client facing that is very important.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We Asians get all of the disadvantages and none of the fringe benefits of being a minority.

Last edited:

eluther

Reaction score

Tattoos are forms of self-expression only within the tribe in which they are accepted.  To an outsider, they have no significance other than to indicate to which cultural tribe you belong, and that you accept the cultural values of that tribe.  In USA, 2014,  these cultural tribes are amorphous, generally have no formal entry, and are individuals generally self-identify.  While I personally have no issues with tattoos, I think that it is stupid to expect others to accept your particular cultural values.  This is not anything like discrimination on the basis of gender, race, or sexual orientation, and to draw any such comparisons

Absolutely. I don't share cultural values with a place that believes tattoos impact quality of work, nor do I accept that as a legitimate worldview. Nothing like discrimination – I just think it's myopic. If they wouldn't hire me because I have tattoos, it's not the kind of place I'd work anyway.

Much like dating, these things sort themselves out.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should start up voting people with tattoos during mmi interviews for my medical school

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One-Piece gang :D

Her:

Kenneth Ize
Random

Me:

YYPH
Ann D

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Visable tats are like wearing avante grade or goth ninja to the office place. Is it not the same sort of discrimination? yet we all (those of you in a formal workplace) abide by it.

Wouldn't it be awesome if office workers just went in one day en masse in goth ninja fits. I'd love to see that. :happy:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tattoos are forms of self-expression only within the tribe in which they are accepted.  To an outsider, they have no significance other than to indicate to which cultural tribe you belong, and that you accept the cultural values of that tribe.  In USA, 2014,  these cultural tribes are amorphous, generally have no formal entry, and are individuals generally self-identify.  While I personally have no issues with tattoos, I think that it is stupid to expect others to accept your particular cultural values.  This is not anything like discrimination on the basis of gender, race, or sexual orientation, and to draw any such comparisons

Well said.

I don't mind tats, however I could care less for them these days. I don't judge people for having them. But the tats do impact work. Certain industries are still very focused on appearance.

I worked in banking and tech. In banking of you have tats showing while wearing a suit you might as well not apply.

In tech, all rules go out the door. While it's still a case by case basis, often times tats are not a career limiter. The trade off is the super hard coding interviews. Hence, come in wearing whatever and show all the tats you want but you have to be able to back up your knowledge. Idk if it's a better trade off to being clean cut but it works.

From the several friends I have with many tats, just use common sense. Get your tat but understand not everyone will like it and put it in a place that's easy to cover up for work just in case. It's about not making any assumptions of others and not giving any assumptions about yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix