• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For @DavidLane :

Omega 105.005 on fob. I tried to capture the warmth of the even patina as well as possible:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the only Rolex sports models difficult to find at an AD were the Daytona and the models with a nickname (e.g., Hulk, Batman, Pepsi).

Basically all steel sports models have become much more difficult to find in the States. It used to amaze me when I would hear of waiting lists for GMTs and Submariners in the UK 15 years ago. But now its similar here. Pieces trickle into dealers, some have waiting list for models that dealers used to have one in the showcase and 2 in their backstock/vaults.

Most ADs will not have a steel Rolex in their display cases. Whether they have any at all is an open question. Rolex is allocating watches to dealers, dealers are not able to order what they need or want. They get what Rolex gives 'em.

Well, in a sense in the US dealers could place orders years ago, but it was still subject to what Rolex wanted to give dealers. 5 years ago or more, dealers could order a GMT or Sub if they didn't have it in stock, and most could get one within about 8 weeks. However, a friend who worked for an AD in the early 2000s said, if Rolex was happy with an AD they would reward them with a few extra easy to sell watches like steel Subs and Daytonas. If an ADs numbers weren't good, Rolex would punish them by sending them fewer Subs and Daytonas and would instead send them a bunch of harder to sell pieces, Cellini pieces and watches with gem stones.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
natural.jpg

I've been enamored of this watch since it was announced. I looked at the basic model a few months ago, in London, and it impressed me. Decent price, nice looks, and a concept that appealed to me (clean oceans, etc.). I saw Hodinkee announced that they had it in the web shop and when I looked there was just one left. So I bought it. The image is from Hodinkee.

That’s a good looking watch there Andy. I think those Oris divers are great value for money and kinda underrated in the watch world. My mate has a pretty impressive stable of watches and wears an Oris diver much more than his others (including Sub, Speedy etc.)
Someone posted a black dial Oris here recently which looked nice but I didn’t like the exposed crown. Your blue one looks more interesting and I prefer a diver to have crown guards - even subtle ones like here!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically all steel sports models have become much more difficult to find in the States. It used to amaze me when I would hear of waiting lists for GMTs and Submariners in the UK 15 years ago. But now its similar here. Pieces trickle into dealers, some have waiting list for models that dealers used to have one in the showcase and 2 in their backstock/vaults.

Well, in a sense in the US dealers could place orders years ago, but it was still subject to what Rolex wanted to give dealers. 5 years ago or more, dealers could order a GMT or Sub if they didn't have it in stock, and most could get one within about 8 weeks. However, a friend who worked for an AD in the early 2000s said, if Rolex was happy with an AD they would reward them with a few extra easy to sell watches like steel Subs and Daytonas. If an ADs numbers weren't good, Rolex would punish them by sending them fewer Subs and Daytonas and would instead send them a bunch of harder to sell pieces, Cellini pieces and watches with gem stones.
I was living in Germany in 2000 and tried to get a steel Submariner. Rolex had recently cancelled the sweetheart deal it had with the military PX system. I went to Wempe and was told there was a two-year waitlist. Ended up in London on business later that year and stumbled on one there.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was living in Germany in 2000 and tried to get a steel Submariner. Rolex had recently cancelled the sweetheart deal it had with the military PX system. I went to Wempe and was told there was a two-year waitlist. Ended up in London on business later that year and stumbled on one there.

I was in the South of France in 2001. It was my first time in Europe and I was surprised that when I visited Rolex ADs, only one of them had 1 steel sport model Rolex in stock. They said it was very difficult to get the sport models in steel. Back in those days, in the US, you could pretty much walk into any US AD and walk out with any steel sport model except for a steel Daytona. Often times the AD had one of everything in the show case (except steel Daytonas) and they had spare GMTs, Subs, Explorers, Explorer IIs in their vaults. If the dealer you wanted to purchase one didn't have it in stock they could order it and have one for you (except steel Daytonas) within 8 weeks. Plus, back then you could get a discount on steel Rolex's of 10-15% off at ADs (again except on steel Daytonas). Oh how times have changed!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For @DavidLane :

Omega 105.005 on fob. I tried to capture the warmth of the even patina as well as possible:
View attachment 1229285

That’s so beautiful. I’d totally wear that.

Are you from Vancouver? I don’t think I’ve been into a nice watch shop here in my entire life but I imagine getting a hard-to-find model difficult here. We have a lot of wealthy people.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you from Vancouver? I don’t think I’ve been into a nice watch shop here in my entire life but I imagine getting a hard-to-find model difficult here. We have a lot of wealthy people.

There are tons of boutiques and ADs in Vancouver and nice watches floating around...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I live in Moscow ID,. but visit Vancouver (my brother teaches at UBC) and Victoria, which is frankly more my speed. There is an AD there who has shown me some SS sports models. It's a nice trip, if you want to go. A half decent selection of vintage and used watches at Francis Jewelers as well, though the prices are frankly a bit high, a block away from the Magnolia hotel. If you ever need a respite from Vancouver's huslte and bustle, consider staying there. The restaurant, The Courtney Room, is also quite nice, and while not cheap. is really reasonable compaired to restaurants of similar levels in larger cities.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Moscow ID,. but visit Vancouver (my brother teaches at UBC) and Victoria, which is frankly more my speed. There is an AD there who has shown me some SS sports models. It's a nice trip, if you want to go. A half decent selection of vintage and used watches at Francis Jewelers as well, though the prices are frankly a bit high, a block away from the Magnolia hotel. If you ever need a respite from Vancouver's huslte and bustle, consider staying there. The restaurant, The Courtney Room, is also quite nice, and while not cheap. is really reasonable compaired to restaurants of similar levels in larger cities.

I’ve done Happy Hour there and it was excellent. Just about to come off of a month of wine tasting the Okanagan though, so more trips will have to wait.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's get fubar at botanist & nerd out on watches gents.

I’ve never heard of them, but the menu and wine list look awesome. People like to **** on us for being a no-fun city, but dammit if we don’t have a million awesome restaurants.

dan'l

Reaction score
I have found that the prices on Timepeaks are higher than those provided directly by the various sites. Plus I believe you pay 3% on top of that. So if you can purchase directly from the site it would be better. Timepeaks usually provides a link to the actual website.

Thanks, saw that too. I thought there would be more protection buying from them rather than Rakuten or Yahoo.co.jp, for example, since they are supposed to confirm authenticity before shipping out. I’m not sure if the sites the posts link to are setup for shipping overseas either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads