• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dachshund

Reaction score
If anyone has a Cartier CPCP Tortue Monopoussoir or time-only XL in white or yellow/rose gold, or knows of one for sale with box/papers for a fair price, please let me know. Thanks!

I've been looking for similar - either the Monopoussoir or regular-sized time only in rose gold with full set, or at least papers. Quite difficult to find unless you want to fly to Belgium or provincial Italy (see Chrono24). I found a time only yellow gold without any papers or box - what is it with people that they buy a watch like that and toss the papers? Still, it's a good price so I might just do it - I'll never sell it anyway.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question on the 16710.

I'm in the market for one of these, and looked at two of them today at the same dealer. Both from the same year - about a decade old. One had the regular dial, the other was sticks. The bezel on the regular dialled watch clicked softly as expected when I turned it. The bezel on the sticks watch didn't seem to click at all - I could neither hear nor feel a click. It just seemed to be running on friction.

Any idea as to why this might be?

As an aside, amazing how light the 16710 feels compared to my 216570.
What do you mean one had the regular dial, and the other was sticks? 16710s should have the same dial.

As for the bezel, the ones from that generation have sort of a soft notch/click feeling with each position. Old GMTs, such as my first one a 16750 had no notches. You actually applied pressure down and then turned the bezel (but there were no clicks or notches felt).

Dachshund

Reaction score
What do you mean one had the regular dial, and the other was sticks? 16710s should have the same dial.

As for the bezel, the ones from that generation have sort of a soft notch/click feeling with each position. Old GMTs, such as my first one a 16750 had no notches. You actually applied pressure down and then turned the bezel (but there were no clicks or notches felt).

Where it says "GMT - MASTER II" one has the "II" in Roman and the other in sans serif (aka "Sticks"). There is a third variation - "rectangular" - where the "II" looks more like a small rectangle.

One of them had just the feeling you describe - a soft click. The other felt like there was no 'ratchet' at all - just turned smoothly.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

What do you mean one had the regular dial, and the other was sticks?  16710s should have the same dial.  

As for the bezel, the ones from that generation have sort of a soft notch/click feeling with each position.  Old GMTs, such as my first one a 16750 had no notches.  You actually applied pressure down and then turned the bezel (but there were no clicks or notches felt). 

Where it says "GMT - MASTER II" one has the "II" in Roman and the other in sans serif (aka "Sticks"). There is a third variation - "rectangular" - where the "II" looks more like a small rectangle.

One of them had just the feeling you describe - a soft click. The other felt like there was no 'ratchet' at all - just turned smoothly.

The ratcheting seems to be more a function of the little wire spring.
I bonked my watch on my desk and this happened.

The spring was nowhere to be found.
I replaced the spring and there was noticeable less ratcheting than before.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I'm familiar with those differences on the dial. I blanked out and thought you were speaking of the hour markers.

I don't think there should be any difference in feel, at least when they were new. Perhaps as Zippy suggested, one has had the spring replaced and its offering less ratcheting/clicking?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm having issues with the bezel on my sub. It's been customized so the ADs won't touch it. Do you have a good contact who can hop me without taking my eyes out for the pleasure?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think there should be any difference in feel, at least when they were new.  Perhaps as Zippy suggested, one has had the spring replaced and its offering less ratcheting/clicking?

Indeed, Rolex changed the click spring during the 16710's production run. The earlier ones are shorter and have a different feel when turned clockwise compared to counterclockwise. The later ones and the current service part are longer, which makes the turning effort the same in both directions and the clicks a bit softer.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on bezel ratchets. The non-clicker seemed very smooth indeed so maybe the bezel had been replaced without the spring? Either way my preference was for the clicker as it is the full set and I'm not excited by dial variations. Will update if I pull the trigger.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, Rolex changed the click spring during the 16710's production run. The earlier ones are shorter and have a different feel when turned clockwise compared to counterclockwise. The later ones and the current service part are longer, which makes the turning effort the same in both directions and the clicks a bit softer.
Interesting about the change in the click spring. Didn't know that. I don't think I've ever handled any really late production 16710s to compare the feeling. I actually prefer the distinct clicking, to "no click" on my old 16750.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input on bezel ratchets. The non-clicker seemed very smooth indeed so maybe the bezel had been replaced without the spring? Either way my preference was for the clicker as it is the full set and I'm not excited by dial variations. Will update if I pull the trigger.

My pleasure; glad you found it to be helpful.

There should be 120 clicks on every GMT or GMT II with an aluminum bezel and sapphire crystal. The non-clicking one most likely had a broken or missing spring. Or, as occasionally happens, it could have been really jammed with wrist cheese. :crazy:

Either way, it's an easy fix. Just let me know if you end up going with the non-clicking one and need the part. :)

Interesting about the change in the click spring.  Didn't know that.  I don't think I've ever handled any really late production 16710s to compare the feeling.  I actually prefer the distinct clicking, to "no click" on my old 16750.  

Same here — I find that the click bezel is a definite improvement from the older friction type, with no real downside on the 16700/16710/16760. Unfortunately, the 24 clicks on the ceramic make it a bit less precise for timing parking or pasta or whatever, as it only goes in two-and-a-half-minute increments when used for timing stuff.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'm having issues with the bezel on my sub. It's been customized so the ADs won't touch it. Do you have a good contact who can hop me without taking my eyes out for the pleasure?

I just bought some 3rd part springs off of amazon for about $20 for 3 or 4.
It just snaps back into place. Bezel is on there quite secure with the new spring. The detents just aren't as distinct as before.

Dachshund

Reaction score
Not quite my thing - may look nicer in the flesh. I think the small seconds dial is too bulky for the rest of the face, and the blue strap doesn't quite match the blue dial. If it was time only and the dial was silver or black it would be quite nice.

I love blue straps though - I've retro-fitted one to an old Rolex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads