• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL. The MB&F M.A.D.1 is literally that.

1669896054505.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About bloody time. What matters is whether they'll buy them in and that the process for doing so is consistent. ADs could even become market makers. Rolex pioneering the watch exchange business. WEX. Then someone will create Rolex digital instruments. A perpetual swap perhaps in honour of the current batch of customers: you're perpetually on the wait-list and the value reflects your probability of success. Maybe some other derivatives: Tudor pelagos, black bay...

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About bloody time. What matters is whether they'll buy them in and that the process for doing so is consistent. ADs could even become market makers. Rolex pioneering the watch exchange business. WEX. Then someone will create Rolex digital instruments. A perpetual swap perhaps in honour of the current batch of customers: you're perpetually on the wait-list and the value reflects your probability of success. Maybe some other derivatives: Tudor pelagos, black bay...

And then maybe we can get ROLEX NFTs!!!

In all seriousness, ADs competing with gray market dealers is only going to make it harder for those without a high-spend history to find a new Rolex at MSRP. The desirable models will circulate more within a tighter circle of individuals.

Just my prediction.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Two guys found here yesterday the perfect way to get a clean pre-owned Rolex. The owner sold his Submariner to pay for his wedding party. He met the buyer, he came with one of his friend, and they beat the seller with a baseball bat and had the Rolex for a song.

BTW it happens every day here. Always with Rolex.

Edit : just red this (from November 2022)
France. In 2022, thefts of luxury watches increased by 31% compared to the previous year. Indeed, old watches sell for much more than when they were purchased, which attracts thieves.
A few seconds are enough for thieves to steal luxury watches worth several hundred thousand euros. Often, these thefts take place in the middle of the street, after locating the target. “The first strangled me and the other two, while the first was punching, the second was trying to slip his hands under my sleeve”says Alexandre Meyer, victim of a watch theft, who was attacked in his building hall.
In 2022, luxury watch thefts increased by 31% in one year. (…)The coast of collector’s watches has exploded, a model has gone from 500 euros to 10,000 euros, when a Rolex which cost 6,000 euros is now worth 45,000. In order to avoid theft, a Parisian watchmaker advises his customers to not wear their watches.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Customer, "I'd like to buy that stainless Daytona for $14500."

AD, "I'm sorry sir, those are for display only. There is a 10 year wait list for that model."

Customer, "What about that case over there?"

AD, "Allow me to show you this CPO Daytona. It is available now for $38000 and the timepiece is presented in a distinctive pouch and comes with the Rolex Certified Pre-Owned seal, a two-year international guarantee card, a service booklet and a guarantee booklet ."

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two guys found here yesterday the perfect way to get a clean pre-owned Rolex. The owner sold his Submariner to pay for his wedding party. He met the buyer, he came with one of his friend, and they beat the seller with a baseball bat and had the Rolex for a song.

BTW it happens every day here. Always with Rolex.

Edit : just red this (from November 2022)
France. In 2022, thefts of luxury watches increased by 31% compared to the previous year. Indeed, old watches sell for much more than when they were purchased, which attracts thieves.
A few seconds are enough for thieves to steal luxury watches worth several hundred thousand euros. Often, these thefts take place in the middle of the street, after locating the target. “The first strangled me and the other two, while the first was punching, the second was trying to slip his hands under my sleeve”says Alexandre Meyer, victim of a watch theft, who was attacked in his building hall.
In 2022, luxury watch thefts increased by 31% in one year. “The watch is dismantled like (…) luxury vehicles that are stolen for parts. We resell the parts on the right, on the left”, explains Yann Bastière, national delegate SGP FO unit. The coast of collector’s watches has exploded, a model has gone from 500 euros to 10,000 euros, when a Rolex which cost 6,000 euros is now worth 45,000. In order to avoid theft, a Parisian watchmaker advises his customers to not wear their watches.
But you know I think it's very French to blame the Rolex. We have plenty of Rolex here and somehow people don't get baseball bat beaten for them in the street. The only people who get beaten are those who steal Rolexes, with a rattan cane in Changi jail. I guess casual wearing your sub is more boring as a result, giving the island its reputation.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
But you know I think it's very French to blame the Rolex. We have plenty of Rolex here and somehow people don't get baseball bat beaten for them in the street. The only people who get beaten are those who steal Rolexes, with a rattan cane in Changi jail. I guess casual wearing your sub is more boring as a result, giving the island its reputation.
Well if I buy a Rolex I will also become an expat.

BTW the price increase is impressive. Was talking to a friend that had the same Rolex than the one I had (OP date), he had to sell it around ten-fifteen years ago and really regret it when he saw the price today.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Customer, "I'd like to buy that stainless Daytona for $14500."

AD, "I'm sorry sir, those are for display only. There is a 10 year wait list for that model."

Customer, "What about that case over there?"

AD, "Allow me to show you this CPO Daytona. It is available now for $38000 and the timepiece is presented in a distinctive pouch and comes with the Rolex Certified Pre-Owned seal, a two-year international guarantee card, a service booklet and a guarantee booklet ."

TBH this is the case at Bucherer and plenty of other ADs already if you don't have a significant spend history.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinese superfakes factory owners: thank you, Rolex, for your unexpectedly generous QC program. We look forward to doing business with you.

pmeis

Reaction score
I think they're just doing it so that their ADs have more than exhibition watches to display. :alien:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they're just doing it so that their ADs have more than exhibition watches to display. :alien:
I think they also want a piece of the action. If prices are similar across the vintage market why would anyone NOT buy from Rolex? I'm assuming they will clean and service the watches?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think this ends the ability to get one at msrp entirely. Why wouldn’t the AD sell to a cut out and buy it back a week/month later and sell it at market price?

pmeis

Reaction score
I think they also want a piece of the action. If prices are similar across the vintage market why would anyone NOT buy from Rolex? I'm assuming they will clean and service the watches?

Oh for sure, I was being a bit silly. God knows how much cash they've left on the table by not participating in the secondary market themselves. Heck, they got to pay for that new billion-dollar factory somehow!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh for sure, I was being a bit silly. God knows how much cash they've left on the table by not participating in the secondary market themselves. Heck, they got to pay for that new billion-dollar factory somehow!

Is Rolex getting more money or just the AD?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads