• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing the siren's call of the Submariner for the last few weeks.

With the little dude constantly in tow, I have gravitated towards wearing things I feel 100% confident can take a beating.
Well it's definitely a classic design that can take whatever you can dish out! This one just turned 17 years old last month.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 16610LV is my favorite configuration outside the classic black. Love how the older aluminum bezel fades...saw a buddy's 126610LV in person and wasn't sure how I felt about the ceramic green...

I've owned the classic black and its a great watch. I liked this both because of the maxi lum plots (which the standard black bezel models did not get in the 2000s), and the interesting color of the aluminum bezel. I agree the aluminum bezels have interesting tones and fade and develop patina over time. I wasn't sold on the green ceramic bezel on the Hulks. Maybe against a black dial its better.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going off of @TheFoo custom Cartier, George Cramer wrote an article on the process.

I wonder what the likelihood of being approved/upcharge would be for someone who wants to make modest changes on an existing model

i.e. a white gold Tank LC with a full guilloché dial with the flower-like motif at the center...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have an Explorer.

I do, but it is a watch that I plan to give my son (it has his initials and birthday). I wear it pretty regularly (it hasn't ran out of juice once), but I am not sure how much I want it to be beat to ****. I go back and forth regarding how I should treat this watch.

Well it's definitely a classic design that can take whatever you can dish out! This one just turned 17 years old last month.

17, wow! She's getting up there. Really like the way the aluminum bezel looks now. This is definitely my favorite of the green submariners.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do, but it is a watch that I plan to give my son (it has his initials and birthday). I wear it pretty regularly (it hasn't ran out of juice once), but I am not sure how much I want it to be beat to ****. I go back and forth regarding how I should treat this watch.

17, wow! She's getting up there. Really like the way the aluminum bezel looks now. This is definitely my favorite of the green submariners.

Makes sense. In that case get a Sub. They're awesome!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I got my 16610 in 2000. Still haven't had it serviced once although I really should get the gaskets replaced at this point before I dive with it again. It's still running within COSC standards at +4-5 secs a day.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing the siren's call of the Submariner for the last few weeks.

With the little dude constantly in tow, I have gravitated towards wearing things I feel 100% confident can take a beating.

31 years, 1 month and 1 week since I bought this:

DSCF6720.JPG

- worn pretty hard as a daily beater for the first 20 years or so; might give you an idea of what to expect ;-)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Cartier discontinued them?
Supposedly they did, but there was one for sale (with the light blue "vegetable leather" strap) at the Cartier boutique inside the Baha Mar resort at the end of May/beginning of June when I was there.

There was also a single pink dial ladies' DateJust in the store for sale at the John Bull location in downtown Nassau, Bahamas if anyone wants to rush and get it. No VAT!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads