• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright boomers, enough reminiscing from when you were furry little lads and more watch pronz.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191109153612088_COVER.jpg

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a saying in Spanish: "Al buen entendedor, pocas palabras."

I will use muchas palabras because I gotta say I'm learning a lot about parenting through this thread. I often struggle with consideration of the right way to balance our general lifestyle and consumer product usage and raising well-adjusted children. It's particularly challenging when you are surrounded by wealth, as many of us in HCOL areas are. I am not saying anything here to be critical of anyone or the way they were raised, but do find it's helpful to hear about people and how they associate with nice (and not so nice) consumer products from their youth.

Everyone probably has some memories that stick out that have outsized contributions to the way they are today. My wife and I sometimes discuss the best way to enjoy nice experiences and things while not turning our kids into jerks. We do it through a lot of little things (for example: referring to one of our cars as the "white car" as a descriptor after our little kid kept referring to it by brand name) and a few big things - focusing on the experiences we share with them, rather than the products that help deliver experiences. However, that doesn't mean that we have to ignore all consumer products or want our kids to be indifferent or unaware of the value of things. All people develop associations (good and bad) with tools that they use over long periods of time whether it's a stuffed animal, a pocket knife, a pair of boots or a house. My wife absolutely hates my SUV, which I've mentioned before around these parts. She recently required me to get a replacement which is still in process but more recently reluctantly admitted that if we can't find a good friend to take the SUV we should probably keep it because we have built so many memories in it over the years. My kids also have a love-hate relationship with the damn thing and one of them is expecting it to be their car when they grow up.

Since it relates more specifically to this thread I will share one of the formative experiences that has probably damaged my relationship with consumer products. When I was a little kid I received a calculator watch for a birthday. The first time I wore it to school I had trouble using it and got super frustrated and threw it on the ground. To this day every once in a while when I get a scratch on something, I think of that damn moment of frustration. It was just one stupid isolated moment but I can't help but feel a little annoyed when I think about the anecdote for a number of reasons, including the fact that it still impacts me.

Point to all of this is just a reminder or sort of elegy to myself that our kids see what we value and how we approach life and that it has an impact that we can't always predict, for better or for worse. I am often critical of consumerist behaviors and attitudes but some level of attention to the things we own and use is desirable, if only because the use of tools is what made human civilization possible and is wired into our DNA.

There is a saying: The richest guy in the bar pays with cash.

Maybe in Japan. In the US the wealthiest people use leverage where appropriate and people who use physical cash exclusively are either unsavory or eccentric.

Last edited:

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really want a PP aquanaut (5167 or the travel time), but based on some of the stories here, it sounds like it will never happen. i'm not really interested in buying things just to establish a relationship with an AD on the off chance they'll sell me something in the future.

is going 2nd hand the only way, and paying a 2-3x premium?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, pretty much. Even if you buy other items from an AD, there's no guarantee that you're even going to get an Aquanaut from them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i really want a PP aquanaut (5167 or the travel time), but based on some of the stories here, it sounds like it will never happen. i'm not really interested in buying things just to establish a relationship with an AD on the off chance they'll sell me something in the future.

is going 2nd hand the only way, and paying a 2-3x premium?

Yep, pretty much. Even if you buy other items from an AD, there's no guarantee that you're even going to get an Aquanaut from them.

There is no “guarantee” in terms of a contract, but you can certainly make a deal with your AD to get an Aquanaut contingent on other spend. That’s how I got mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads