• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the manual wind XL Santos Dumont model? I'm guessing the dressier Santos Dumonts have not been as popular.

Since the Cartier talk from a few weeks ago I've been looking at Tank Americaine's, Cintree's and Santos Dumont's online and instagram quite a bit lately.

I have a huge affinity for Cartier, but I think the dials on their current line up are a far cry from the gems they used to produce. It feels like there were some MBAs involved who cut production costs at the expense of the finer details.

officine

Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171mm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is an example off the web:

lCdrLY.jpg

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a huge affinity for Cartier, but I think the dials on their current line up are a far cry from the gems they used to produce. It feels like there were some MBAs involved who cut production costs at the expense of the finer details.
can you provide examples of what you're referring to?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you provide examples of what you're referring to?

Look at the dial work on these and compare to the flat dials they are producing now.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Look at the dial work on these and compare to the flat dials they are producing now.
You're comparing special LE CPCP's of the past to standard production models. Not really a fair comparison.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new MB&F 101s dropped today. Pretty tempted but I think I'll grab them used later on at a steep discount. The stainless model without the stupid Legacy Machine script looks so much better. Finishing seems to be a bit more interesting too.

In other news, sold my Zeitwerk so need a replacement :D

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171cm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

View attachment 1608329
I don’t own that watch, but I have a dress Omega with very similar dimensions, and my wrists are the same size as yours. This is how it looks on.
85CAC5F0-C934-47CD-929F-04F1A65B1016.jpeg

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171cm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

View attachment 1608329

I have not worn that particular watch. I am a big fan of smaller watches. My wrist is about 7.5 inches. This watch on my wrist is 33mm:

16FB3B86-59AD-462E-BFA7-B6B2BD2BC102.jpeg

If you love it, I wouldn’t let the size bother you. Trends change. Just look at how excited everyone is that the Explorer is back at 36mm. Yours is only a bit smaller.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new MB&F 101s dropped today. Pretty tempted but I think I'll grab them used later on at a steep discount. The stainless model without the stupid Legacy Machine script looks so much better. Finishing seems to be a bit more interesting too.

In other news, sold my Zeitwerk so need a replacement :D

I felt the same way about the Legacy Machine text until I tried it on. I quite liked it. By the way, this one is available NIB at a local dealer for a fantastic price. I have seriously considered it, but it is a bit too tall for me in the long run I think. PM me if you are interested.

E0F163E1-7469-4497-952A-169F0F87308C.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're comparing special LE CPCP's of the past to standard production models. Not really a fair comparison.

It was just an easy visual for comparison. Look at the Cle or really most of the older designs and you'll see similar dial work with much more detail.

Also, the prive line is supposed to be a higher level of watchmaking and they have Seiko like dials on some of them. So perhaps not as unfair as you're making out.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not worn that particular watch. I am a big fan of smaller watches. My wrist is about 7.5 inches. This watch on my wrist is 33mm:

View attachment 1608490
If you love it, I wouldn’t let the size bother you. Trends change. Just look at how excited everyone is that the Explorer is back at 36mm. Yours is only a bit smaller.

That Patek is stunning. Which reference is that?

officine

Reaction score
I don’t own that watch, but I have a dress Omega with very similar dimensions, and my wrists are the same size as yours. This is how it looks on.
View attachment 1608473
Thanks!

View attachment 1608490
Ditto

I'm going to go for it. Will keep thread abreast if I can close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads