• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, man! I will say, though - if I had to be critical - the polished surfaces really do shimmer, which is both beautiful, but also attention grabbing. Wearing the watch with this type of outfit (my prevailing uniform of sorts...), where the watch only pops out every once in a while, is easy.

As it becomes warmer and short sleeves take over, I'll probably wear the DJ less and opt instead for sportier watches with more brushed steel...But hopsack and linen sport coats will keep the DJ from too much bench time. :)
Embrace the shimmer!;)

The Rolex sports models are more popular now, but on a watch vs watch basis a fluted bezel, jubilee DJ will often look better/more impressive on wrist than many if not most of the Rolex sports models in stainless steel

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going back to the Cartier boutique today to look at the large Santos white dial (they also have the Navy there for me to look at as well). The associate and store GM are saying that the steel large Santos is in “very high demand;” apparently the associate is already getting requests from other stores to send them this model. I’ve also read this elsewhere. Could be a sales tactic but more likely a story of stainless steel watch inflation/demand - you can’t buy the watch online from Cartier anymore. We will see if I walk out with it...
Not a sales tactic. I don't know about the white dial version, but the blue steel Santos, the steel & ADCL version, and the all ADLC version are in high demand. It's been that way for several months. There have been some on chrono24 with prices a little over MSRP. I've had the blue dial for almost 2 years and I love it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about the manual wind XL Santos Dumont model? I'm guessing the dressier Santos Dumonts have not been as popular.

Since the Cartier talk from a few weeks ago I've been looking at Tank Americaine's, Cintree's and Santos Dumont's online and instagram quite a bit lately.
Not a sales tactic. I don't know about the white dial version, but the blue steel Santos, the steel & ADCL version, and the all ADLC version are in high demand. It's been that way for several months. There have been some on chrono24 with prices a little over MSRP. I've had the blue dial for almost 2 years and I love it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to find I liked the navy a lot more. The dial is beautiful, and IMO the large size is not too big (I think the dial is actually a bit smaller than my DJ). The bracelet system is clever. Very unique watcMy main concerns are
1) I noticed the difference between the highly polished bezel and the more brushed bracelet a few times
2) Durability (scratches) of the bezel
3) How versatile it is (can it go from dressy to casual) relative to a round watch

I have a week to make a decision

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the manual wind XL Santos Dumont model? I'm guessing the dressier Santos Dumonts have not been as popular.

Since the Cartier talk from a few weeks ago I've been looking at Tank Americaine's, Cintree's and Santos Dumont's online and instagram quite a bit lately.
I have a huge affinity for Cartier, but I think the dials on their current line up are a far cry from the gems they used to produce. It feels like there were some MBAs involved who cut production costs at the expense of the finer details.

officine

Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171mm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is an example off the web:

lCdrLY.jpg

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a huge affinity for Cartier, but I think the dials on their current line up are a far cry from the gems they used to produce. It feels like there were some MBAs involved who cut production costs at the expense of the finer details.
can you provide examples of what you're referring to?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Look at the dial work on these and compare to the flat dials they are producing now.
You're comparing special LE CPCP's of the past to standard production models. Not really a fair comparison.

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
The new MB&F 101s dropped today. Pretty tempted but I think I'll grab them used later on at a steep discount. The stainless model without the stupid Legacy Machine script looks so much better. Finishing seems to be a bit more interesting too.

In other news, sold my Zeitwerk so need a replacement :D

Nickd

Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171cm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

View attachment 1608329
I don’t own that watch, but I have a dress Omega with very similar dimensions, and my wrists are the same size as yours. This is how it looks on.
85CAC5F0-C934-47CD-929F-04F1A65B1016.jpeg

chocomallo

Reaction score
I'm coming to this august body to see if anyone has familiarity with the Breguet 5907..specifically how it wears given its modest size. I have opportunity to procure one at a good price and find it stunningly beautiful; however, I've not been able to see one in the flesh. My sole concern is how it wears. My sweet spot for pure dress watches is 36mm-37mm. This is a 34.5mm diameter, with long flat lugs measuring 42mm lug-to-lug. My wrist size is 6.75" (171cm). I'm hoping someone on the thread owns or has owned the piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

View attachment 1608329
I have not worn that particular watch. I am a big fan of smaller watches. My wrist is about 7.5 inches. This watch on my wrist is 33mm:

16FB3B86-59AD-462E-BFA7-B6B2BD2BC102.jpeg

If you love it, I wouldn’t let the size bother you. Trends change. Just look at how excited everyone is that the Explorer is back at 36mm. Yours is only a bit smaller.

chocomallo

Reaction score
The new MB&F 101s dropped today. Pretty tempted but I think I'll grab them used later on at a steep discount. The stainless model without the stupid Legacy Machine script looks so much better. Finishing seems to be a bit more interesting too.

In other news, sold my Zeitwerk so need a replacement :D
I felt the same way about the Legacy Machine text until I tried it on. I quite liked it. By the way, this one is available NIB at a local dealer for a fantastic price. I have seriously considered it, but it is a bit too tall for me in the long run I think. PM me if you are interested.

E0F163E1-7469-4497-952A-169F0F87308C.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're comparing special LE CPCP's of the past to standard production models. Not really a fair comparison.
It was just an easy visual for comparison. Look at the Cle or really most of the older designs and you'll see similar dial work with much more detail.

Also, the prive line is supposed to be a higher level of watchmaking and they have Seiko like dials on some of them. So perhaps not as unfair as you're making out.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Red

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the Above

• None of the Above