• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the milgauss - does anyone own one, have some wrist pics? I've always liked the look but wonder if they're a bit 2004. ;)

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent the weekend in Santa Fe and was surprised to see a store with no lack of new stainless steel Rolex's. Right in the main town square there is a jewelry store called Diva's Diamond and jewels (lots of jewelry stores in this town, mainly selling Turquoise and native Indian jewelry.). Five SS Rolex's in the window display. Head on in and at least another dozen in the shop (also some PP, breitling, etc.)
Did not buy, did not get prices, did not see a SS Daytona. They have clear signs that they are not a Rolex Dealer.
It looks like they have a strong online presence.
I assume their prices are high but, this would be an opportunity to at least see and try on some of these models and assumably, if you pay their price, walk out with a SS model that day. (Having recently looked I could find no new SS models on display in Dallas, only some used.)
Assuming you could be in the area, probably worth calling first to check availability and prices.

Also, while there we stopped into Stephens, A consignment gallery. Higher end consignment furniture, etc. Spoke to Dominic, grandson of the owners who is their watch guy. He has maybe three or four dozen used watches including Rolex (no SS) a few PP, A few Omega, and a bunch of Hamilton and the like. Well worth stopping in if your in the area already.
Nice. Thanks for the heads up!

You also bring up a good point. Finding SS Rolex in stores is not actually difficult (they aren’t rare). The issue is finding them new and available at MSRP. For example, I was recently in a big AD in downtown Chicago and they had multiple hyped watches like Hulks (among other models), but for something utterly ridiculous like, $25k! (I’ve never understood the popularity of that model...Oh well...)

But as you point out, at least seeing the pre-owned models helps with getting to know the watches...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A friend sent me this IWC cap from Sohaffhauson, Switxorland. I take it's not official gear.
IMG_4689 (1).jpg

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That watch is about as clean as it gets.
Thanks!

It's funny that this watch really is the perfect fit for me, both physically and aesthetically, but was also one of the easiest watches to actually buy new (I think I waited longer for my Tudor than for the DJ).

I say funny only because the psychology of scarcity/hype really does seem to push people (myself included) away from more readily available models they might otherwise find desirable (at one point internet hype had me feeling a DJ would be settling for a "lesser" model even though I was strongly drawn to it).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sub and I'll be thrilled to acquire a new GMT or Daytona (someday???), but I'll try to suspend the hype chatter enough to hold those watches in my mind as basically equal to my beloved DJ (price differences relative to complications not withstanding...).

Ok...now getting primed for some Speedy Tuesday...

reidd

Reaction score
Thanks!

It's funny that this watch really is the perfect fit for me, both physically and aesthetically, but was also one of the easiest watches to actually buy new (I think I waited longer for my Tudor than for the DJ).

I say funny only because the psychology of scarcity/hype really does seem to push people (myself included) away from more readily available models they might otherwise find desirable (at one point internet hype had me feeling a DJ would be settling for a "lesser" model even though I was strongly drawn to it).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sub and I'll be thrilled to acquire a new GMT or Daytona (someday???), but I'll try to suspend the hype chatter enough to hold those watches in my mind as basically equal to my beloved DJ (price differences relative to complications not withstanding...).

Ok...now getting primed for some Speedy Tuesday...
DJ is an amazing watch. Not that it matters, but the DJ sold at a retail premium compared to the Sub for a good portion if not majority of the model's history.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DJ is an amazing watch. Not that it matters, but the DJ sold at a retail premium compared to the Sub for a good portion if not majority of the model's history.
It still does (36 DJ fluted on jubilee = 8.5k vs No-date Sub = 8.1k). That's kind of what I meant by the hype situation being sort of funny.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend sent me this IWC cap from Sohaffhauson, Switxorland. I take it's not official gear. View attachment 1608069
Hmm, there must be a way to verify this. Hold on, I have this 10 pound book:

iwc (1).jpg

- and if you look closely, you can see that it has the same year as the cap! I think it's safe to assume then, that your cap is 100% legit.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the typical marketing copy:

“There’s something about the pointlessness of watch collecting that’s very soothing – that I really like,” I said.
Williams laughed. “So you must like life,” he said.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of that Hodinkee article rings true. Particularly the part about the snobbery of some collectors.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going back to the Cartier boutique today to look at the large Santos white dial (they also have the Navy there for me to look at as well). The associate and store GM are saying that the steel large Santos is in “very high demand;” apparently the associate is already getting requests from other stores to send them this model. I’ve also read this elsewhere. Could be a sales tactic but more likely a story of stainless steel watch inflation/demand - you can’t buy the watch online from Cartier anymore. We will see if I walk out with it...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the typical marketing copy:

“There’s something about the pointlessness of watch collecting that’s very soothing – that I really like,” I said.
Williams laughed. “So you must like life,” he said.
You like what you like, but eight black dial watches (including two similar Tudors and a couple of similar IWCs) seems like overkill

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You like what you like, but eight black dial watches (including two similar Tudors and a couple of similar IWCs) seems like overkill
He did say right out of the gates that he was f**king crazy...

pretty nice collection otherwise...

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.