• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my current top two. The Omega functions just fine for a "dress" watch on leather, although I would definitely like to add a proper gold dress watch at some point. I still quite like the blue dial, even though green is apparently the new blue.

041521.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The MING watches sold out in less than a minute. A lot of frustrated would-be buyers posting on MING's IG. Glad I opted out of this watch. It's a young man's game.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MING watches sold out in less than a minute. A lot of frustrated would-be buyers posting on MING's IG. Glad I opted out of this watch. It's a young man's game.

Some smart company is going to start doing raffles for new releases. Buy a $10 ticket (all proceeds donated to charity) and the company picks the winners at random who can then purchase the watch at retail. A small investment for a (more) fair shake at buying the watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a controversial take (and no offense to your watch in particular), but the way many feel about Nomos is how I feel about the classic Calatrava. I like some Calatravas and can appreciate the history and why people like yourself are drawn to them, but the standard stick index version is not something I can wrap my head around spending that kind of money. Even the most similar Nomos, the Orion (dial wise, not case shape of course), is one I've never had any desire to own. Now a 5196P on the other hand is about as close to perfection as I can imagine...

I agree with you on the bulk of Calatravas. Nicely made, but they didn't really appeal to me even when they were a lot less expensive years ago. I always thought they were stodgy old men's watches, but safe, classic designs.

As for Nomos, I think almost everyone can agree the represent a great value. The movements are fantastic. If one likes the design, its a tough watch to beat in terms of quality and price. I was constantly reading what great watches they were, but there were no ADs near me, so I couldn't easily see them in person. When I was traveling to NYC several years ago I made a point of stopping in at an AD to try on a few of them. Again the movement is great, but the design just doesn't speak to me. I didn't like the lugs, the cases were too sterile, and the dials - I can't tell are they trying to be serious or whimsical. In addition, the ones with the small seconds subdials place the subdial too close to the center of the watch so I always feel like I'm looking at a watch that has a movement that is far too small for the case. In the end, no watch can be everything to everyone.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The two-watch topic draws me back into this thread:

this is my first and most honest answer. A bit of overlap but these are my favorite two watches. The diversity of casing is important to me, and the JLC world time complication served me well during my world traveling days (even though I know my iPhone would’ve done a 1000x better job)
CFFDE81D-236D-4AD0-AE56-C955F3E95691.jpeg

the JLC is also part of a his and hers combo, which I’ll take a pic once I get close enough to my wife’s arm today.

this is probably the more versatile two-watch combo, because it covers more of the casual/sporting range. Just use the aforementioned smartphone for world time.

75B7774A-0B94-498F-9BFC-CFB967EFBAA3.jpeg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for the group - do occluded numbers bother you?

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

1618500547310.png

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

1618500621498.png

This one, on the other hand, is perhaps a bridge too far to me...

1618500663546.png

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

1618500724644.png

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group - do occluded numbers bother you?

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

View attachment 1593694

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

View attachment 1593696

This one, on the other hand, is perhaps a bridge too far to me...

View attachment 1593699

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

View attachment 1593700

I don't love occluded numbers, but I can live with them especially if it is done for the sake of balance and proportion

siddeh

Reaction score
The two-watch topic draws me back into this thread:

this is my first and most honest answer. A bit of overlap but these are my favorite two watches. The diversity of casing is important to me, and the JLC world time complication served me well during my world traveling days (even though I know my iPhone would’ve done a 1000x better job)
View attachment 1593695

the JLC is also part of a his and hers combo, which I’ll take a pic once I get close enough to my wife’s arm today.

this is probably the more versatile two-watch combo, because it covers more of the casual/sporting range. Just use the aforementioned smartphone for world time.

View attachment 1593701

Is that the 39.5mm PO? I've been considering it, especially since I have 6in wrists and the 39.5mm has a ~45mm lug-to-lug.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Occlude doesn't bother me on the 1815 but it sort of depends on how the occlusion is handled. The Patek one bothers me more since it looks unbalanced. They should've just went with batons instead of numerals.

Breitlings looks okay too.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not loving the occlusion on the 1815. I might be more forgiving if its a complicated watch, but then I'd rather have indices to actual numbers.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since everyone has been waiting for my take on Nomos, here it is: I like the Minimatik enough that I would look into getting one if I could try it on. 35.5 mm is small, but I think small bezel watches wear big. I like the idea of some Club and Orion models, but the lugs might be a little long for those. And I like that they are who they are and make their own thing. I wish there were more companies like them as they make a really compelling case for small makers.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Anyone check out the new elab Panerai-

Just under 99% recycled materials. I am all for the environment but at $61k I want brand new parts harvested from space.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads