• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as we are piling on against Nomos, I'm going to posit that if I had to live with just 2 of the timepieces I currently own, my Nomos Tangomat GMT and my Speedy would be the last ones standing.

As many know, I have a BLNR and a short hand explorer as well as a few Seikos (Shogun, Samurai and a few less cool ones) as well as a bunch of G-Shocks. Out of all of them, I'm always surprised at how much I enjoy the Nomos. I don't know how to describe it - but it just feels like a quality product. The rotor has a nice weight to it and it wears really well on my wrist. I wish it were slimmer but it just feels right to me and I can't imagine ever parting with it. Ditto for the Speedy - I love the simplicity of the design and prefer it to every single LE that they make. Sort of like sports teams that have stuck with the classic uniforms for so long that they change your perception of beauty. I recently bought an Uncle Seiko 1450 bracelet (after complaining recently here that I hate the stock bracelet and @Texasmade mentioning Uncle Seiko) and will try to remember to post a picture when I get around to installing it.

I don't know if this is a 2-watch collection I would design from scratch as some sort of ideal because I don't really roll that way, but it's the 2 in my home that speak the most to me. Other hypothetical options would be the GMT plus the Shogun or the Speedy plus the Explorer. The surprising thing about the Speedy for me is that your choice of strap really changes everything about the watch. On a bracelet it's a solid sport watch but on perlon (how I have worn it the last few years) it feels lithe.

Also my wife loves her Nomos Orion Rose.

Finally - I suggest for our next game we play fuck kill marry with watch brands. Most of y'all would kill Nomos but I would kill Cartier. I would fuck Lange and marry Rolex. You don't get to choose to kill obviously shitty brands - make it count.

Wife's Orion:

Last edited:

Nickd

Reaction score
My theoretical 2 watch collection.

I know Tag Heuer doesn’t get a lot of love, but my Monaco would definitely be in there, and to join it - probably the 36mm Explorer I’m after.

Ixelles

Reaction score
Was looking for a couple of years for one of these - they pop up sometimes worse for wear without B&P in Japan. Thanks to @Belligero for graciously answering some questions about his - it was his photo and description which got me in the first place. This one was just 2 hours' drive away, has B&P and even the original sales receipt from 2000...

PXL_20210414_074507710.MP.jpg

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Ah, but the question is what if you could only have two?
Then it would probably be the JLC MUT moonphase and the RO 36mm two-tone

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my current top two. The Omega functions just fine for a "dress" watch on leather, although I would definitely like to add a proper gold dress watch at some point. I still quite like the blue dial, even though green is apparently the new blue.

041521.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The MING watches sold out in less than a minute. A lot of frustrated would-be buyers posting on MING's IG. Glad I opted out of this watch. It's a young man's game.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MING watches sold out in less than a minute. A lot of frustrated would-be buyers posting on MING's IG. Glad I opted out of this watch. It's a young man's game.
Some smart company is going to start doing raffles for new releases. Buy a $10 ticket (all proceeds donated to charity) and the company picks the winners at random who can then purchase the watch at retail. A small investment for a (more) fair shake at buying the watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a controversial take (and no offense to your watch in particular), but the way many feel about Nomos is how I feel about the classic Calatrava. I like some Calatravas and can appreciate the history and why people like yourself are drawn to them, but the standard stick index version is not something I can wrap my head around spending that kind of money. Even the most similar Nomos, the Orion (dial wise, not case shape of course), is one I've never had any desire to own. Now a 5196P on the other hand is about as close to perfection as I can imagine...
I agree with you on the bulk of Calatravas. Nicely made, but they didn't really appeal to me even when they were a lot less expensive years ago. I always thought they were stodgy old men's watches, but safe, classic designs.

As for Nomos, I think almost everyone can agree the represent a great value. The movements are fantastic. If one likes the design, its a tough watch to beat in terms of quality and price. I was constantly reading what great watches they were, but there were no ADs near me, so I couldn't easily see them in person. When I was traveling to NYC several years ago I made a point of stopping in at an AD to try on a few of them. Again the movement is great, but the design just doesn't speak to me. I didn't like the lugs, the cases were too sterile, and the dials - I can't tell are they trying to be serious or whimsical. In addition, the ones with the small seconds subdials place the subdial too close to the center of the watch so I always feel like I'm looking at a watch that has a movement that is far too small for the case. In the end, no watch can be everything to everyone.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The two-watch topic draws me back into this thread:

this is my first and most honest answer. A bit of overlap but these are my favorite two watches. The diversity of casing is important to me, and the JLC world time complication served me well during my world traveling days (even though I know my iPhone would’ve done a 1000x better job)
CFFDE81D-236D-4AD0-AE56-C955F3E95691.jpeg

the JLC is also part of a his and hers combo, which I’ll take a pic once I get close enough to my wife’s arm today.

this is probably the more versatile two-watch combo, because it covers more of the casual/sporting range. Just use the aforementioned smartphone for world time.

75B7774A-0B94-498F-9BFC-CFB967EFBAA3.jpeg

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group - do occluded numbers bother you?

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

1618500547310.png

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

1618500621498.png

This one, on the other hand, is perhaps a bridge too far to me...

1618500663546.png

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

1618500724644.png

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group - do occluded numbers bother you?

Someone posted the Lange 1815 the other day - and I have to say, an occluded number/numbers is enough for me to dismiss a watch outright.

View attachment 1593694

That said, how much occlusion can you live with? I think this newly-released Breitling is OK. Perhaps, because the numerals are still identifiable.

View attachment 1593696

This one, on the other hand, is perhaps a bridge too far to me...

View attachment 1593699

And, although there is no number occlusion on this one, the number omission is perhaps even more annoying?

View attachment 1593700
I don't love occluded numbers, but I can live with them especially if it is done for the sake of balance and proportion

siddeh

Reaction score
The two-watch topic draws me back into this thread:

this is my first and most honest answer. A bit of overlap but these are my favorite two watches. The diversity of casing is important to me, and the JLC world time complication served me well during my world traveling days (even though I know my iPhone would’ve done a 1000x better job)
View attachment 1593695

the JLC is also part of a his and hers combo, which I’ll take a pic once I get close enough to my wife’s arm today.

this is probably the more versatile two-watch combo, because it covers more of the casual/sporting range. Just use the aforementioned smartphone for world time.

View attachment 1593701
Is that the 39.5mm PO? I've been considering it, especially since I have 6in wrists and the 39.5mm has a ~45mm lug-to-lug.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Occlude doesn't bother me on the 1815 but it sort of depends on how the occlusion is handled. The Patek one bothers me more since it looks unbalanced. They should've just went with batons instead of numerals.

Breitlings looks okay too.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%