• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bamford and highly modified watches of that nature are an exception, but Rolex will definitely service other watches that have been opened and had modest changes such as using aftermarket dials and bezels. I don't know if in the event a watch has been opened or mildly modified it voids the warranty. However, voiding the warranty only means that they would still service it, but you have to pay for the repairs/service. The issue they have always enforced is making people restore the watch to original factory parts like an authentic Rolex dial/bezel. I would be curious to know how Rolex feels about the refinishing Foo did. Do they care it was changed? Will they insist it be refinished the way Rolex finishes that watch? I guess we will just have to wait and see or check some Rolex forums to see if anyone has encountered that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bamford and highly modified watches of that nature are an exception, but Rolex will definitely service other watches that have been opened and had modest changes such as using aftermarket dials and bezels. I don't know if in the event a watch has been opened or mildly modified it voids the warranty. However, voiding the warranty only means that they would still service it, but you have to pay for the repairs/service. The issue they have always enforced is making people restore the watch to original factory parts like an authentic Rolex dial/bezel. I would be curious to know how Rolex feels about the refinishing Foo did. Do they care it was changed? Will they insist it be refinished the way Rolex finishes that watch? I guess we will just have to wait and see or check some Rolex forums to see if anyone has encountered that.

From my understanding, they will definitely service it. I could tell them I brushed it myself, if it came to it. The question is whether they will require restoring the original finish. That seems to depend on whoever is handling your watch and your arguing skills.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, they will definitely service it. I could tell them I brushed it myself, if it came to it. The question is whether they will require restoring the original finish. That seems to depend on whoever is handling your watch and your arguing skills.

Agreed, I have no doubt they will service it. What you did is very mild in terms of modifying it (it doesn't require a new dial or bezel). I am just curious to eventually see what their position is on the finishing, are they ok with it or will they insist it be restored to their finish? Since it probably won't need a service for many years, we will just have to come back to this issue in the future if you still have it at that point.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D36363C2-9F98-4849-971B-8E87444CB47C.png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the answer is obvious, but why do they care about the finishing? Is it just a brand "protection" issue? Wanting to control the product once it's out in the world? I understand that luxury goods producers want to cultivate and maintain a certain image, but it just seems strange.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the answer is obvious, but why do they care about the finishing? Is it just a brand "protection" issue? Wanting to control the product once it's out in the world? I understand that luxury goods producers want to cultivate and maintain a certain image, but it just seems strange.

It’s exactly that they want to protect their brand and product sanctity. Makes sense given their immense brand equity and that Rolexes have to be the most counterfeited watches on the planet.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s exactly that they want to protect their brand and product sanctity. Makes sense given their immense brand equity and that Rolexes have to be the most counterfeited watches on the planet.
Makes sense. I didn't think about the counterfeiting angle.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) A friend bought the Timeless Oris 65 Limited Edition when they issued it. I think it is very nice, it fits very well, it is uncommon, the green is great if that's your thing, he loves it.

Here is a user review from WUS, also very positive.

2) Did you go to Timeless (in Plano)? They sell GS also afaik, perhaps some other models. I agree with you in general regarding GS but some models are truly elegant and beautiful.

That is where I went and had a great experience. Thank you for the review. And I also agree that some of the GS were beautiful to look at. I was unsure if the Timeless green watch was actually different from the Momotaro.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is where I went and had a great experience. Thank you for the review. And I also agree that some of the GS were beautiful to look at. I was unsure if the Timeless green watch was actually different from the Momotaro.
?
Apparently Timeless is a great store to visit.

I have never been in person but have spoken with a few of the people there over the phone, primarily when I bought a Nomos Timeless. They were always fantastic, professional and very helpful. It was always very easy and enlightening to communicate with them.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I said: “In love. Until it hits $60K.”

There is no way to politely explain the word “until” or parse this self-deprecating joke about flipping the watch without constructively calling you a dumb ****. Dumb ****.

You recently said the market has gone up 30% on Daytonas since you bought. You also said some people think it will go to 50k should Rolex upsize it to 41mm. Now you mention love "until" 60k. You quoted yourself the other day for your god-like predictive ability, right? So I took your statement at face value--another TheFoo prediction which will come true soon.

I don't care about the Daytona as I have no interest in it. But I happened to walk past a gray dealer and saw prices were under 35k. So I had a little chuckle about your bombast and replied to your post.

And I got the response I hoped for--a love letter from my internet BFF, TheFoo!!!!!!!

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What?

This is a silly discussion. A bunch of people who have no knowledge of the actual warranty terms are surmising that the watch won’t be covered under warranty since someone else opened it.

I reasoned that, assuming the watch was handled properly with the correct tooling, Rolex would have no way of knowing whether someone had opened it. I also pointed out that independent, certified Rolex watchmakers open and service Rolex watches all the time without voiding the warranty. It is not as if Rolex demands to see service records when you send your watch in. For both reasons, it would be untenable for Rolex to void warranties merely because a case has been opened.

Regardless, I have the watch and I have the warranty terms. The exceptions say nothing about refinished parts or opened cases. There is a an exception for “work carried out by third parties”—but that is so vague as to cover anything or nothing. We already know, as mentioned above, that third party servicing (which requires opening the case) does not automatically void the warranty under this exception.

So, unless someone actually knows a better answer, what else is there to add?

I don't think this is a silly discussion at all, and you have quoted the exact language Rolex would rely on to deny you warranty service (I am not disputing they would work on the watch, just not under warranty). Those words are hardly vague--brushing carried out by LAWW perfectly fits this exception. If the movement has an issue within the warranty period now, Rolex has every reason to not honor the warranty because LAWW may have caused the issue when it took the movement out of your watch to brush the lugs. How can you prove otherwise?

The right to repair is a big issue lately, but mostly about electronics. Here is the site for New York if you care to read the proposed legislation: https://states.repair.org/states/ne...York could,computers, and even farm equipment.

And it can be possible to tell if a watch has been opened. At least with Omega, at one point the put a small dot of red paint at 6 o'clock where the case back met the case. The dot comes off if you've opened the watch. I don't know if any other brands do something like this.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The silver BB58 looks awesome, but I already have the OG and a Sub, so no way, but the gold BB58 is wild. It looks great, but who is going to pay 17k for a Tudor? Soooo many other watchers at that price point that make much more sense. I dig the quirky vibe of these latest Tudor releases, but have no clue what they are aiming for...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the more I think of it, the plant dial DJ is soooo weird. What is Rolex doing?

Wish they would add one non-iced dial to the 36 rose gold DD.

Or....a full gold DJ with gold jubilee...? = Epic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads