• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chocomallo

Reaction score
What?

This is a silly discussion. A bunch of people who have no knowledge of the actual warranty terms are surmising that the watch won’t be covered under warranty since someone else opened it.

I reasoned that, assuming the watch was handled properly with the correct tooling, Rolex would have no way of knowing whether someone had opened it. I also pointed out that independent, certified Rolex watchmakers open and service Rolex watches all the time without voiding the warranty. It is not as if Rolex demands to see service records when you send your watch in. For both reasons, it would be untenable for Rolex to void warranties merely because a case has been opened.

Regardless, I have the watch and I have the warranty terms. The exceptions say nothing about refinished parts or opened cases. There is a an exception for “work carried out by third parties”—but that is so vague as to cover anything or nothing. We already know, as mentioned above, that third party servicing (which requires opening the case) does not automatically void the warranty under this exception.

So, unless someone actually knows a better answer, what else is there to add?
I don't think this is a silly discussion at all, and you have quoted the exact language Rolex would rely on to deny you warranty service (I am not disputing they would work on the watch, just not under warranty). Those words are hardly vague--brushing carried out by LAWW perfectly fits this exception. If the movement has an issue within the warranty period now, Rolex has every reason to not honor the warranty because LAWW may have caused the issue when it took the movement out of your watch to brush the lugs. How can you prove otherwise?

The right to repair is a big issue lately, but mostly about electronics. Here is the site for New York if you care to read the proposed legislation: https://states.repair.org/states/newyork/#:~:text=This year, New York could,computers, and even farm equipment.

And it can be possible to tell if a watch has been opened. At least with Omega, at one point the put a small dot of red paint at 6 o'clock where the case back met the case. The dot comes off if you've opened the watch. I don't know if any other brands do something like this.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The silver BB58 looks awesome, but I already have the OG and a Sub, so no way, but the gold BB58 is wild. It looks great, but who is going to pay 17k for a Tudor? Soooo many other watchers at that price point that make much more sense. I dig the quirky vibe of these latest Tudor releases, but have no clue what they are aiming for...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the more I think of it, the plant dial DJ is soooo weird. What is Rolex doing?

Wish they would add one non-iced dial to the 36 rose gold DD.

Or....a full gold DJ with gold jubilee...? = Epic

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you keep the polished parts so fresh looking, or can we just not see the scratches in the photo?
Well, to be honest, the watch was NOS when I got it and I’ve only had it for a week. They’ll come along in due time, and that won’t bother me. I’m looking at this piece like an old Toyota Corolla - glorious and reliable for every day use.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice!

With all the Daytona talk of late (a watch I haven’t really been interested in...), I think I could see a precious metal in my not-too-distant future...rose gold chocolate dial...50th birthday in 4 years, so...maybe?
I say go for it!

pmeis

Reaction score
👍
Apparently Timeless is a great store to visit.

I have never been in person but have spoken with a few of the people there over the phone, primarily when I bought a Nomos Timeless. They were always fantastic, professional and very helpful. It was always very easy and enlightening to communicate with them.
Even though I don’t live in Dallas anymore, my parents do and Timeless has been my main AD since I got into the hobby. A bit sad that I haven’t been able to visit since the pandemic started, but I did still manage to buy three watches from them, mainly over texts with their owner, over the past year through the pandemic, the highlight being my Zenith Shadow.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(If it’s not obvious, I am sort of on the hunt for a full gold watch...DD is the leading contender, but...)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(If it’s not obvious, I am sort of on the hunt for a full gold watch...DD is the leading contender, but...)
Root beer GMT in full gold? I prefer it in two tone but it’s sweet either way.

vacheron overseas in full gold is attractive too.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion but the plausibility of Foo owning or not owning the watch isn't in question, is/was it?
There's watch rental services...

Grizzlybear might even be a sockpuppet for Foo to test the sensitivity of the forum to native advertising before launching his watch rental business under a third sockpuppet. Occam's Razor!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy