• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@9thsymph How do you like the BB58? Which color dial did you get, and is it on the bracelet or strap? I'm planning to pick up a black dial on bracelet in the next couple of weeks assuming the AD gets one in and I like the way it feels/looks in person.

As to your question, which Spitfire model are you considering? The chronograph or time-only? I think the green dial looks better on the time-only model, but that shade of green and the bronze go together quite well on both.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a new casual, daily wearer [beater?]. I have currently been alternating between a Speedy and a BB-58 in this capacity, but am looking for something with a bit more visual variety (read: not SS, not black dial...) that is more at home on a leather strap (I know the Speedy and BB are strap monsters, but during the colder months, I'd also like something that lies better under a cuff, that is not a diver...).

With this in mind, I was thinking about the IWC Spitfire bronze, with the green dial. Anybody have thoughts on this one? Or perhaps you have a better suggestion in that I might check out...?

Thanks!
How about the Rolex Explorer II with polar dial? Tough as nails, different color dial and complication (GMT), less "Rolex-y." I don't know how difficult these are difficult to get at retail. If you are okay with a pre-owned watch, they are readily available on the second-hand market. Prices are steadily rising.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a new casual, daily wearer [beater?]. I have currently been alternating between a Speedy and a BB-58 in this capacity, but am looking for something with a bit more visual variety (read: not SS, not black dial...) that is more at home on a leather strap (I know the Speedy and BB are strap monsters, but during the colder months, I'd also like something that lies better under a cuff, that is not a diver...).

With this in mind, I was thinking about the IWC Spitfire bronze, with the green dial. Anybody have thoughts on this one? Or perhaps you have a better suggestion in that I might check out...?

Thanks!

When I think daily beater, I always want stainless case and a decent amount of WR, at least 100m. Then I have no issues working on our pool, washing hands, general daily/weekend chores, etc. That's why divers are so popular as sports watches. Between the IWC chronograph, Speedy and BB58, I'd go with the Tudor as a "one watch" but would likely add one of those chronographs down the road. That said, if it is a chronograph you want/need, go with whichever you prefer aesthetically. Both of your choices are solid, well made watches.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@9thsymph How do you like the BB58? Which color dial did you get, and is it on the bracelet or strap? I'm planning to pick up a black dial on bracelet in the next couple of weeks assuming the AD gets one in and I like the way it feels/looks in person.

As to your question, which Spitfire model are you considering? The chronograph or time-only? I think the green dial looks better on the time-only model, but that shade of green and the bronze go together quite well on both.

I have the original black dial on the bracelet. but also frequently put it on a strap. I love the watch! It's fantastic. Really - zero complaints about that one.

As for the IWC, I was thinking the time only (date?). I have no experience with bronze, though. It looked great in person brand new, but I reckon a good bit of the charm would be in how the bronze changes over time.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about the Rolex Explorer II with polar dial? Tough as nails, different color dial and complication (GMT), less "Rolex-y." I don't know how difficult these are difficult to get at retail. If you are okay with a pre-owned watch, they are readily available on the second-hand market. Prices are steadily rising.

This is a really good suggestion that I haven't considered. One reason, though - now that I think about it for a moment, is that I was planning on getting a GMT ll BLNR in the not-too-distant future, which perhaps makes the explorer ll redundant? I guess the explorer is much more of an under-the-radar watch, which is certainly what I'm after presently, but, hmmm....

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a really good suggestion that I haven't considered. One reason, though - now that I think about it for a moment, is that I was planning on getting a GMT ll BLNR in the not-too-distant future, which perhaps makes the explorer ll redundant? I guess the explorer is much more of an under-the-radar watch, which is certainly what I'm after presently, but, hmmm....

They look pretty good on leather too, especially the older/smaller reference.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not shower with any watch, unless there is no secure place to store the watch (like a public shower). In that case, I would try to put the watch in a corner that is visible to me and away from the water and the prying hands of others.

I'd never shower with a watch. Horrible for watches. As one watchmaker said soaps can compromise the gaskets, and the daily quick change in temperature difference can also contribute to that, or one can get condensation forming inside the watch case or under the crystal from extreme temperature change (I've seen someone put an ice on their watch crystal for a photo and guess what...ended up with condensation under the crystal/inside the watch).

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never shower with a watch. Horrible for watches. As one watchmaker said soaps can compromise the gaskets, and the daily quick change in temperature difference can also contribute to that, or one can get condensation forming inside the watch case or under the crystal from extreme temperature change (I've seen someone put an ice on their watch crystal for a photo and guess what...ended up with condensation under the crystal/inside the watch).
Good input here. Begs the question, though: if soap is that hazardous, how the hell is a Sub supposed to survive salt water at 300 meters?

pmeis

Reaction score
Good input here. Begs the question, though: if soap is that hazardous, how the hell is a Sub supposed to survive salt water at 300 meters?

Not a lot of soap in the ocean...

Seriously though, I believe the running theory is that soap, along with steam, can deteriorate the seals, leaving the ocean an opening. Not sure how true it is, but similarly, if you are using your Sub in seawater regularly, you do need to be a good boy and at least get your watch pressure tested somewhat regularly. Those seals don't last forever, especially if they've been put to use.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a lot of soap in the ocean...

Seriously though, I believe the running theory is that soap, along with steam, can deteriorate the seals, leaving the ocean an opening. Not sure how true it is, but similarly, if you are using your Sub in seawater regularly, you do need to be a good boy and at least get your watch pressure tested somewhat regularly. Those seals don't last forever, especially if they've been put to use.

Can soap really be that much more hazardous than salt water? I’m no scientist, but that doesn’t make much sense.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pft. Plebs. I bought three Richard Mille Rafa Nadal watches for my thrice daily milk baths. If it can stand up to his play, it can stand up to milk and soap.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the issue hot water compromising the gaskets? It's definitely a bad idea to wear a watch in a hot tub.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely dial:

DSC00662.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics