• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chocomallo

Reaction score
I am not a GS guy at all so I am pretty ignorant about the brand and its models. Notwithstanding the comparison, I would still go for the 231. I like the design better. And apart from this kind of macro, I doubt the difference is apparent. But this is certainly an enlightening post for GS enthusiasts.

Makes me think about Patek and ALS vis-a-vis GS. Patek is transparent about machine assisted finish on its normal models (i.e. they use a wood-disc lathe for finishing on lesser models) whereas ALS is reputed to finish every movement using the exact same methods. But I doubt this claim about ALS, and think ALS is more like GS in this case--pure speculation on my part as I have no interest in either brand to pursue the knowledge and no direct evidence. From a margin perspective, ALS would be doing bad business, but it is possible I suppose.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting GS comparison. I love the "boring" SBG231 as I noted in a couple of recent posts, but just yesterday I stumbled across the SBGA407 "blue snowflake" which I think is beautiful even with the power reserve indicator which I usually don't like:

1614770839001.png

The SBGY003 is very nice, too. If it came in a model with a dial like the 403, that would be perfect, with no date or power reserve indicator.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting GS comparison. I love the "boring" SBG231 as I noted in a couple of recent posts, but just yesterday I stumbled across the SBGA407 "blue snowflake" which I think is beautiful even with the power reserve indicator which I usually don't like:

View attachment 1566396

The SBGY003 is very nice, too. If it came in a model with a dial like the 403, that would be perfect, with no date or power reserve indicator.
Strongly recommend seeing this one in person. The colour is... unique. Not necessarily in a good way.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly recommend seeing this one in person. The colour is... unique. Not necessarily in a good way.
Which one? The blue snowflake? If so that's disappointing. I imagined it as a very delicate sky blue, which, combined with the snowflake dial texture would be very nice. Sucks if it's not so nice in person.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a violent ice blue, if that makes sense. Like food colouring used for slushies. At least that was my impression under artificial lighting. It comes out well in photos because photo life is always more colourful and contrast is king. It's like "cream" trousers that look warm and soft toned on the photo and when they arrive, are a brutal, unwearable yellow.

Also, the texture is a bit *too* high contrast, giving a real sense of "this dial is made of plastic" (not helped by the colour). Again, great for photos (as is Seiko's design language in general, being simple, sharp and contrasting).

Funnily enough I had the opposite impression with the Cocktail Time (the original, not the new version). A brutal blue in the (terrible) stock photos which kept me from buying for a couple of years, then saw it in the flesh and bought it. It turned out to be much more of a shimmering silver with hints of blue, including working really well with the texture, but you had to be in evening low lighting (bars, restaurants?). At lunchtime in the tropics it just does not work, the blue washed out giving just a big dull metallic plate of a dial, the texture utterly without contrast and about as interesting as the corrugated roofing sheet it imitates.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hasn’t wear my JLC all year, took it out first time, it’s definitely losing time, guess need to get a service (bought in oct 2016), does that sound kind soon?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hasn’t wear my JLC all year, took it out first time, it’s definitely losing time, guess need to get a service (bought in oct 2016), does that sound kind soon?
How much time is it losing? Is it sufficiently wound?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much time is it losing? Is it sufficiently wound?
I think I wound sufficiently but can probably check again (it's auto, but I still did like 50+ turn before I put on I think?), and it's losing more than a minute in a single day I tried (hasn't worn in a year, but pretty sure the last time I worn them which is before office closed it was within a few second in a day or not enough for me to check)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking a look at some JLC back up options if the No-Date Sub search turns up empty handed over the next year, meeting with the AD at the end of the week and will ask about service frequency and costs

If the frequency is much less than 5 years per service that would be a pretty big ding in my book

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, not about to buy another watch just because I have to service it in 5 years..., though feels like it is on the short end...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a violent ice blue, if that makes sense.
That's a hell of a description.

Like food colouring used for slushies.
Oh. Well then...

Also, the texture is a bit *too* high contrast, giving a real sense of "this dial is made of plastic" (not helped by the colour).
Damn. Welp, I guess that's that, although the AD I'm going to down the street for a different watch is also a GS dealer, so I'll see if they have any I can check out in person when I pop in next time. Disappointing to hear of the color, but I appreciate the candid assessment. I'm definitely not interested in wearing something in an electric blue slushie color on my wrist.

Funnily enough I had the opposite impression with the Cocktail Time (the original, not the new version). A brutal blue in the (terrible) stock photos which kept me from buying for a couple of years, then saw it in the flesh and bought it. It turned out to be much more of a shimmering silver with hints of blue
Interesting. Are you talking about this one (SARB065)?

1614783703761.png

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I wound sufficiently but can probably check again (it's auto, but I still did like 50+ turn before I put on I think?), and it's losing more than a minute in a single day I tried (hasn't worn in a year, but pretty sure the last time I worn them which is before office closed it was within a few second in a day or not enough for me to check)
Yeah, that's pretty significant.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a hell of a description.

Oh. Well then...

Damn. Welp, I guess that's that, although the AD I'm going to down the street for a different watch is also a GS dealer, so I'll see if they have any I can check out in person when I pop in next time. Disappointing to hear of the color, but I appreciate the candid assessment. I'm definitely not interested in wearing something in an electric blue slushie color on my wrist.

Interesting. Are you talking about this one (SARB065)?

View attachment 1566494
You shouldn't take my word for it, it might work very well where you are, in your context, etc. Maybe that ice blue is a lot less brutal in low light northern hemisphere winters, maybe the thick visible texture becomes blended into a soft snow impression.

Yes the SARB065. Cocktail time was a fun cheap watch, but not anywhere near GS finishing or feel of otherworldly solidity. More consistent, however, with Seiko's original design language.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, not about to buy another watch just because I have to service it in 5 years..., though feels like it is on the short end...
Not sure what model you have, but if its a dress watch they generally don't have the same recommend length in between services that sports watches have. I think often the more delicate cases, and lower water resistance are part of the reason. They may be more affected by getting banged around/less shock resistant, and more importantly, lower water resistance may mean its not as well sealed against dust, moisture and the oils/lubricants might be more apt to dry up and congeal. Wishing you luck with whatever isssue is with your JLC.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Carmina

Votes: 38 15.5%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 78 31.8%