• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hasn’t wear my JLC all year, took it out first time, it’s definitely losing time, guess need to get a service (bought in oct 2016), does that sound kind soon?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hasn’t wear my JLC all year, took it out first time, it’s definitely losing time, guess need to get a service (bought in oct 2016), does that sound kind soon?

How much time is it losing? Is it sufficiently wound?

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy hump day, watchfam.
9218E4BB-8CAF-40F6-B27D-7F771CA06B86.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much time is it losing? Is it sufficiently wound?

I think I wound sufficiently but can probably check again (it's auto, but I still did like 50+ turn before I put on I think?), and it's losing more than a minute in a single day I tried (hasn't worn in a year, but pretty sure the last time I worn them which is before office closed it was within a few second in a day or not enough for me to check)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Taking a look at some JLC back up options if the No-Date Sub search turns up empty handed over the next year, meeting with the AD at the end of the week and will ask about service frequency and costs

If the frequency is much less than 5 years per service that would be a pretty big ding in my book

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, not about to buy another watch just because I have to service it in 5 years..., though feels like it is on the short end...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a violent ice blue, if that makes sense.

That's a hell of a description.

Like food colouring used for slushies.

Oh. Well then...

Also, the texture is a bit *too* high contrast, giving a real sense of "this dial is made of plastic" (not helped by the colour).

Damn. Welp, I guess that's that, although the AD I'm going to down the street for a different watch is also a GS dealer, so I'll see if they have any I can check out in person when I pop in next time. Disappointing to hear of the color, but I appreciate the candid assessment. I'm definitely not interested in wearing something in an electric blue slushie color on my wrist.

Funnily enough I had the opposite impression with the Cocktail Time (the original, not the new version). A brutal blue in the (terrible) stock photos which kept me from buying for a couple of years, then saw it in the flesh and bought it. It turned out to be much more of a shimmering silver with hints of blue

Interesting. Are you talking about this one (SARB065)?

1614783703761.png

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I wound sufficiently but can probably check again (it's auto, but I still did like 50+ turn before I put on I think?), and it's losing more than a minute in a single day I tried (hasn't worn in a year, but pretty sure the last time I worn them which is before office closed it was within a few second in a day or not enough for me to check)

Yeah, that's pretty significant.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a hell of a description.

Oh. Well then...

Damn. Welp, I guess that's that, although the AD I'm going to down the street for a different watch is also a GS dealer, so I'll see if they have any I can check out in person when I pop in next time. Disappointing to hear of the color, but I appreciate the candid assessment. I'm definitely not interested in wearing something in an electric blue slushie color on my wrist.

Interesting. Are you talking about this one (SARB065)?

View attachment 1566494
You shouldn't take my word for it, it might work very well where you are, in your context, etc. Maybe that ice blue is a lot less brutal in low light northern hemisphere winters, maybe the thick visible texture becomes blended into a soft snow impression.

Yes the SARB065. Cocktail time was a fun cheap watch, but not anywhere near GS finishing or feel of otherworldly solidity. More consistent, however, with Seiko's original design language.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, not about to buy another watch just because I have to service it in 5 years..., though feels like it is on the short end...

Not sure what model you have, but if its a dress watch they generally don't have the same recommend length in between services that sports watches have. I think often the more delicate cases, and lower water resistance are part of the reason. They may be more affected by getting banged around/less shock resistant, and more importantly, lower water resistance may mean its not as well sealed against dust, moisture and the oils/lubricants might be more apt to dry up and congeal. Wishing you luck with whatever isssue is with your JLC.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's master ultra thin moon, though I don't take it to swim or shower (but do wash hands with it I suppose), guess I'll schedule an appointment some time

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's master ultra thin moon, though I don't take it to swim or shower (but do wash hands with it I suppose), guess I'll schedule an appointment some time

Yeah, dress watch probably limited water resistance. Definitely, never want to swim (and shower is even worse) with it. Believe it or not, years ago the recommended service intervals for Patek (and other high end dress watch makers) was 3 years. It is now 5 years for most. VC says 4-5 years for basic time watches, 3-4 for more complicated watches.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not shower with any watch, unless there is no secure place to store the watch (like a public shower). In that case, I would try to put the watch in a corner that is visible to me and away from the water and the prying hands of others.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a new casual, daily wearer [beater?]. I have currently been alternating between a Speedy and a BB-58 in this capacity, but am looking for something with a bit more visual variety (read: not SS, not black dial...) that is more at home on a leather strap (I know the Speedy and BB are strap monsters, but during the colder months, I'd also like something that lies better under a cuff, that is not a diver...).

With this in mind, I was thinking about the IWC Spitfire bronze, with the green dial. Anybody have thoughts on this one? Or perhaps you have a better suggestion in that I might check out...?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads