• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the appeal of Hodinkee outside of being just another forum/article site(now grey dealer)? They seem to have or drive hype like its Supreme for adults. I know older forums like TZ are probably dead or are not what they once were, but I honestly don't get Hodinkee outside of they capitalized on social media early on and seemingly garnered a large audience. Genuinely curious as I don't venture out into watch forums much anymore unless a collector friend sends me an article or something.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the appeal of Hodinkee outside of being just another forum/article site(now grey dealer)? They seem to have or drive hype like its Supreme for adults. I know older forums like TZ are probably dead or are not what they once were, but I honestly don't get Hodinkee outside of they capitalized on social media early on and seemingly garnered a large audience. Genuinely curious as I don't venture out into watch forums much anymore unless a collector friend sends me an article or something.
HODINKEE is a ******* cancer.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think high production value on their photos/videos sets them apart from other watch sites. To be honest, historically they focused on higher end pieces also (that's changed in the last year or so), which was a draw for me. I didn't really want to have to wade through a dozen articles about micro-brands and Seiko to find something I was interested in. They definitely have become "taste makers" for better or worse (worse, probably). I also think some, not all, of their collaborations have been outstanding and very responsive to what the broad watch collecting enthusiast community wants (no date, smaller size). I have become much less interested in them since they started selling new watches (and now doubly so with their acquisition of C&C), but "back in the day" it was my go to site for watch information.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hodinkee is a good source of information about the latest developments in the watch world. I like Jack Forster's writing and Talking Watches segments that don't feature ridiculously wealthy celebrities.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hodinkee is a good source of information about the latest developments in the watch world. I like Jack Forster's writing and Talking Watches segments that don't feature ridiculously wealthy celebrities.

What's wrong with the wealthy folks on talking watches? I like looking at cool watches, I don't really care who's wearing them. I have no interest in seeing someone like me on talking watches.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason to wear a high end watch these days (covid)?

Is there a reason to where a high end watch on any days with a cellphone in everyone's pocket, even pre-covid?

people wear things cause they like them for a variety of reasons (aesthetics, appreciation of the craft, makes them look good/feel good, etc.) that are not impacted by covid

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think high production value on their photos/videos sets them apart from other watch sites. To be honest, historically they focused on higher end pieces also (that's changed in the last year or so), which was a draw for me. I didn't really want to have to wade through a dozen articles about micro-brands and Seiko to find something I was interested in. They definitely have become "taste makers" for better or worse (worse, probably). I also think some, not all, of their collaborations have been outstanding and very responsive to what the broad watch collecting enthusiast community wants (no date, smaller size). I have become much less interested in them since they started selling new watches (and now doubly so with their acquisition of C&C), but "back in the day" it was my go to site for watch information.
Thanks. I can understand the appeal of seeing the higher end pieces as sites like TZ were much broader back in the day. I suppose that’s why I also enjoyed sites like the Purists cause the focus was heavily on the higher end as well as independents.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love em or hate em, they've grown into the go-to watch resource and one-stop shop with new watches as an AD for several brands, used and vintage buying/selling, accessories, and services like insurance. No one else comes close, and I'd bet they have ambitions to offer all of that globally.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the wealthy folks on talking watches? I like looking at cool watches, I don't really care who's wearing them. I have no interest in seeing someone like me on talking watches.
Their collections generally are not interesting because they are composed of the "greatest hits." "Here's my Royal Oak, my Nautilus, and my vintage Rolex Daytona."

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their collections generally are not interesting because they are composed of the "greatest hits." "Here's my Royal Oak, my Nautilus, and my vintage Rolex Daytona."

So what do you wanna see? They're classics for a reason, and it's not just about the watches. Most of the time, there's a story attached that make it more interesting than just a greatest hit.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I think something like this is bound to happen when you want to grow the audience and have to go from niche to more mass.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm slowly lowering my sleeve to cover up my Royal Oak... in my defense though I bought my Royal Oak right before they become really popular and was able to get a 22% discount on mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads