• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with you? You seem to WANT to read everything with maximum cynicism and bad faith.

I’m not “begging” for anything. I just want to know if I can make this a fun weekend trip for my birthday. Pick up my watch, see some other watches, tour the Salon, tour the museum, etc. Is that so ******* weird or hard to understand. **** me.

Everybody gets treated nicely at the salon. That’s what I meant by “red carpet treatment”—not that I’m demanding anything special.

There are a gazillion reasons why the ADs and the Salon may not be setup for this exact sort of thing, where the watch gets sent BACK to Geneva for customer pick-up. Who knows. That’s why I’m asking!

It's not bad faith and cynicism. It's that you come across as disingenuous in the way you engage with this community so that it is hard to read any of your posts without skepticism. You already made up your mind about the 5170 but still asked to be dissuaded then summarily rejected all suggestions. Then you personally attack anyone who questions your motives. When you are called the ultimate troll, you scream moderator. And one cannot help but remember the Hermes wallet story and see the similarity here. So "begging" or extorting, the word choice doesn't matter. You are willfully blind to your Karen-like behavior.

Perhaps it is simply that you are terrible at communicating. Which you clearly think you excel at above all others.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not bad faith and cynicism. It's that you come across as disingenuous in the way you engage with this community so that it is hard to read any of your posts without skepticism. You already made up your mind about the 5170 but still asked to be dissuaded then summarily rejected all suggestions. Then you personally attack anyone who questions your motives. When you are called the ultimate troll, you scream moderator. And one cannot help but remember the Hermes wallet story and see the similarity here. So "begging" or extorting, the word choice doesn't matter. You are willfully blind to your Karen-like behavior.

Perhaps it is simply that you are terrible at communicating. Which you clearly think you excel at above all others.

If I was even a fraction of what you accuse me of, I’d be a miserable disaster of a human being and in no position to be buying any sort of nice watch.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Don’t even pretend you approached this discussion respectfully or cordially.

2. I call it as I see it.

The point is not to be “original”. Next time you pick out a suit, make sure it is “original” looking and see how that goes.

Anyway, what I was illustrating is that I have specific preferences and criteria that have broadly remained consistent over the years. If they happen to align with trend from time to time, so be it.

But your own preferences you listed don't even match the watches you have owned. You don't like Roman numerals, but you miss the Tank you sold. And it was rose gold but you like white metal. I just don't understand your immutable stance and aggression with everyone that disagrees with you no matter the triviality of the difference. You always come looking to stir the pot and when you do you act surprised and make personal attacks. Then you point the finger like you are now at me. I have complimented you many times in the past. I own a Patek 5026G which is about as close to a current production Patek as can be had to the 5170G that you want to buy.

But as soon as a disagreement arises, you go on the attack full bore. You lack the ability to be conciliatory or agreeable. Maybe that serves your banking clients well, but it doesn't foster collegiality about collecting watches. But you don't seem to care about that, so I like to poke the bear that is mafoofan as often as I can.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the "unjustifiable complications I'm sure I can find an excuse for":

And here is my excuse: driving westwards in Sydney during winter and early spring afternoons, the sun shines directly into my eyes which is quite annoying and made me think it'd be great if, after landing somewhere, I could figure out how low the sun is going to be during the day and adjust choice and time of transport accordingly. Who am I kidding...

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the "unjustifiable complications I'm sure I can find an excuse for":

And here is my excuse: driving westwards in Sydney during winter and early spring afternoons, the sun shines directly into my eyes which is quite annoying and made me think it'd be great if, after landing somewhere, I could figure out how low the sun is going to be during the day and adjust choice and time of transport accordingly. Who am I kidding...

What a cool watch! My only request would be to make the earth a little more realistic. It is a bit flat and simple for such a nice watch. But that is a tiny piece of real estate so it might be hard to do so.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D2B8F4D3-D8AA-40B1-AB60-16E38BCFFD95.jpeg
My brother’s new watch. It’s a 36, found at an AD in Florida.

Sam H

Reaction score
This thread got heated. Let’s focus on some watches again.

I managed to get ahold of this beauty after the Amazon seller sold me $700 worth of NATO straps. Finally jumped the line and he began showing me what was in the back. It’s maybe a fifth of the cost of some of the more expensive brands here but I think it’s honestly better in some ways, for example it doesn’t need to be wound I think. I sold my cocktail time to cover it (I liked the cocktail time a lot because it was very underrated and unique; very few people owned one especially in the watch enthusiast world).

It’s very exciting watch to wear because underneath the diamond cut acrylic are 2 real diamonds which I think is a nice touch. It reminds me of the Rolexes that have a lot of diamonds in them which I think is always a step up.

I don’t believe the watch is real gold but honestly you can barely tell.

627E1441-A271-4191-96AB-8D7E7B9E2F0F.jpeg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love reading posts by the Foo because they are the best reminder that no amount or quality of exquisite material goods can lead to lasting contentedness.

Who says I’m not content!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads