• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love reading posts by the Foo because they are the best reminder that no amount or quality of exquisite material goods can lead to lasting contentedness.
Who says I’m not content!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(Fallible) inference to the best explanation.
It’s possible to enjoy what one has while also enjoying the prospect of something different or new.

Or maybe enjoyment is more like a sliding scale for me and less like a toggle switch.

OK. Sounds like a certain @chocomallo is due a trip to the Minor Burns Ward.

Or perhaps he could save himself a journey and just run it under cold water for a few minutes.
Let me be clear. I don’t think anything is wrong or worse about using A&S alum vs. A&S.

I was responding to a poster who had been bragging about his “better” degrees, job, physical height, etc.

9thsymph

Reaction score
I don't get this. Is it an insult?
Haha...Yeah, I'm actually not really sure.

For context, though, the "joke" about tailoring was written by the fellow pictured below and triggered by me facetiously challenging his self-appointed superiority (look, nothing is really going to solve this kid's problems. For example, you can put an asshole baby yoda in a rubinacci suit and have his wife lend him a patek, but you're still going to end up dealing with an asshole baby yoda on an allowance. This guy hates himself and tries to buy, flex and argue away his issues. His "research" and "experience" [quality, price, pedigree, etc] help him rationalize to himself and disguise to others his disorders, but there are never reasonble ends to discussions with this guy [well, unless you confirm his bias, I suppose]. Therapy would probably be the best option, staying off the internet might be another, but let's just slap a gold daytona on that wrist, enjoy the insanity, and call it a day):

IMG_3425.jpg

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s possible to enjoy what one has while also enjoying the prospect of something different or new.
Isn't that why many of us continue to come back to this place?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haha...Yeah, I'm actually not really sure.

For context, though, the "joke" about tailoring was written by the fellow pictured below and triggered by me facetiously challenging his self-appointed superiority (look, nothing is really going to solve this kid's problems. For example, you can put an asshole baby yoda in a rubinacci suit and have his wife lend him a patek, but you're still going to end up dealing with an asshole baby yoda on an allowance. This guy hates himself and tries to buy, flex and argue away his issues. His "research" and "experience" [quality, price, pedigree, etc] help him rationalize to himself and disguise to others his disorders, but there are never reasonble ends to discussions with this guy [well, unless you confirm his bias, I suppose]. Therapy would probably be the best option, staying off the internet might be another, but let's just slap a gold daytona on that wrist, enjoy the insanity, and call it a day):

View attachment 1541951
Ooooooh. You’re one of the FNB degenerates. Like being an incel, but with clothes? Makes sense now.

I love how you guys have spun this elaborate, masturbatory fantasy about I somehow live off money from my wife. Oh man, if only.

9thsymph

Reaction score
Ooooooh. You’re one of the FNB degenerates. Like being an incel, but with clothes? Makes sense now.

I love how you guys have spun this elaborate, masturbatory fantasy about I somehow live off money from my wife. Oh man, if only.
what is FNB? (anyone?)

i referenced a wife because you said your wife was buying you the watch as a present (and because another member then took that joke a bit further...haha...). no dark-web conspiracy here, just riffing on what's here in plain sight.

sick aviators, btw...i mean that

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reposted on Hodinkee this morning and apropos of our discussion around Patek, steel watches, discontinuing the 5711A, etc.:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/thierry-stern-patek-philippe-steel-watches-nautilus

Some candid and particularly foretelling commentary from Thierry Stern a couple years ago about constraining the Nautilus mania and protecting long-term brand value.

A few observations:

1. Kevin O’Leary is such a tool.

2. Rough math suggests the average Patek sells for ~$25-30K. That’s a lot of Calatravas and women’s Twenty-4s. Steel Nautilus is right in the heart of that price band too.

3. Titanium and platinum replacements for the 5711A would make sense given Thierry’s perspective. They allow Patek to keep selling Nautiluses while also stemming association with “ordinary” steel watches.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or maybe enjoyment is more like a sliding scale for me and less like a toggle switch.
But see, now you switched from contentedness to enjoyment. You were a philosophy major, right? Remember your Aristotle?

Anyhow let me stop psychoanalysing you; I was mostly just honing my own coping mechanisms.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But see, now you switched from contentedness to enjoyment. You were a philosophy major, right? Remember your Aristotle?

Anyhow let me stop psychoanalysing you; I was mostly just honing my own coping mechanisms.
Watches and clothes are sheerly about pleasure for me. So, if I can afford it, why not more?

Yet, I’ve never expected material goods to contribute to any level of durable happiness. You can’t buy the things you need for that.

So, strictly speaking, no, I’m never really contented materially. Like always wishing to be better at guitar or something. But how much does that matter to more fundamental happiness? Not a bit. Different axes of vastly different importance.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.