• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a watch strap size, is it better to use a shorter strap and use the fourth hole (of 8), leaving minimal amount of strap to pass through the keepers, or a longer strap and use the second-to-last hole (leaving much more strap to pass through the keepers)?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very first-world problem [sorry]:

Maybe 15 years ago, my wife got me a Rolex S/G sub. Blue face. She didn't ask, and I never would have asked for it, and I feel just a little too covered with $$ when I wear it, even though I do like the colors of that particular (unfashionable) edition. I love the balance on my wrist, and it's easy to read even if I'd prefer the pilot's bezel so I could use it to do a loose check on count-downs on the race course.

Anyway, we're now at the point where I still don't wear it a ton, except sometimes on the water when it is nice to have something durable and water-resistant. The problem is that the lume is pretty worthless at the moment, which limits its value on a cruising boat. It is nice to know what time it is without turning the lights on if you wake up in the middle of the night.

I know that updating lume kills resale value, but this model seems to have not too much to lose vs its purchase price-- any thoughts on whether I should have a servicing done and put that chore on the list? If they did it, would it look all screwed up or would it just be a new copy of the old model?

I have no super-huge itch to sell or trade yet, especially because I'd pay almost the value of this thing if I traded it for all-stainless. Also, then I'd have the same problem with the lume if I avoided the current model with the chunky lugs.

Looking another direction, if I got, say, a Black Bay 41, that might cover most of this errand without soaking up too many silly dollars. I just tried that on in a store, and it is much happier on my wrist than the Ranger, which wears really large. Otherwise, I already have an Aristo U-Boat (38.5mm) which reads pretty well and doesn't look awful, even if it doesn't appear to be built too solidly. The other everyday stuff I keep and don't mind knocking around in tends to be better suited for the office, and will have 5atm at the outside, so if I'm to have a non-Rolex/Aristo solution it will have to come from outside my bureau. Sinn EZM 3F has a lot to like, although I've not tried one on. The more classic Sinns have virtues, although the short-ish hands kind of bug me.

Ideas?

Personally, I think a steel and gold watch is pretty common and not something that makes a person look like they are as you say, "Covered in money." I could more easily understand your feeling that way if it were a steel & gold watch watch with a "Serti/jeweled dial," or something with a diamond bezel. So I think the issue about feeling "Covered in money" is you overthinking it. Maybe you just need to wear it more and get used to it.

As for the lum...I am presuming if it was purchased new it has a luminova dial, so its merely a matter of how much exposure to light it gets. I have an Explorer II from 2001 and if just needs exposure to light and it recharges and glows, although the glow does not last as long as on some modern pieces. If you sent it in for service and told them the lum isn't working as well as you want it to, Rolex would sell you a new dial (it is my understanding they do not do anything to the existing lum, they just sell you a new dial...some independents place will actually paint more lum onto the lum plots, but often that ends up looking like sh*t). I knew someone who sent a watch into Rolex and he asked for new dial and hands because the lum had worn out on his old tritium dial, and the dial they put on his watch was not as deep and attractive of a shade of blue as the original dial, and he was disappointed. It really became a less attractive watch.

If it is a gift from a wife or loved one, I would find it difficult to trade in. I would just wear it and enjoy it. However, if you don't wear it well then its not really doing you any good, and I suppose you aren't really making much use of this gift anyway, so maybe you should trade it for a steel model if that would make you feel less self conscious about it.

If you truly need a diving watch there are others you could get for not that much money and you could still keep what you have.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's probably the key. A Tudor or Sinn for utility at all hours, and the Rolex when I want the lovely feeling on the wrist.
Now let's see how long it take for the blue Black Bay 41s to arrive. Not that there's anything to dislike about the black dial.

Article 26

Reaction score
Very first-world problem [sorry]:

Maybe 15 years ago, my wife got me a Rolex S/G sub. Blue face. She didn't ask, and I never would have asked for it, and I feel just a little too covered with $$ when I wear it, even though I do like the colors of that particular (unfashionable) edition. I love the balance on my wrist, and it's easy to read even if I'd prefer the pilot's bezel so I could use it to do a loose check on count-downs on the race course.

Anyway, we're now at the point where I still don't wear it a ton, except sometimes on the water when it is nice to have something durable and water-resistant. The problem is that the lume is pretty worthless at the moment, which limits its value on a cruising boat. It is nice to know what time it is without turning the lights on if you wake up in the middle of the night.

I know that updating lume kills resale value, but this model seems to have not too much to lose vs its purchase price-- any thoughts on whether I should have a servicing done and put that chore on the list? If they did it, would it look all screwed up or would it just be a new copy of the old model?

I have no super-huge itch to sell or trade yet, especially because I'd pay almost the value of this thing if I traded it for all-stainless. Also, then I'd have the same problem with the lume if I avoided the current model with the chunky lugs.

Looking another direction, if I got, say, a Black Bay 41, that might cover most of this errand without soaking up too many silly dollars. I just tried that on in a store, and it is much happier on my wrist than the Ranger, which wears really large. Otherwise, I already have an Aristo U-Boat (38.5mm) which reads pretty well and doesn't look awful, even if it doesn't appear to be built too solidly. The other everyday stuff I keep and don't mind knocking around in tends to be better suited for the office, and will have 5atm at the outside, so if I'm to have a non-Rolex/Aristo solution it will have to come from outside my bureau. Sinn EZM 3F has a lot to like, although I've not tried one on. The more classic Sinns have virtues, although the short-ish hands kind of bug me.

Ideas?
Have to agree with @Mr. Moo and @Dino944 just wear it, a gifted watch from family is a kept watch, in perpetuity.

How you find a two-tone too flashy, I do not know. However, just wear it and buy something more suitable to your concept of every-day wearability.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not just gifted from family but his WIFE!!! Unless there's a pending divorce, you're not getting rid of the watch.
That might simplify things a bit. I’ll get back to you.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gold and steel Sub is a cool watch, particularly with the classic slim-lugged case. The design goes with everything and you like the colours; simply use it as intended.

Plus you can always try something like a rubber strap if you think it’s too flashy, though I find it’s perfect as-is.

Even if it wasn’t a (very generous) gift, I think you’d soon regret downgrading to a Tudor or a Sinn. And be grateful that your wife didn’t saddle you with a Raymond Weil instead. ;)

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the Rolex. As was said, if it's only 15 years old, it should have luminova and therefore should glow at night if it's properly charged. That said, Rolex has never been known to have blazing lume. You could always buy a Seiko diver - their lume is terrific. And nothing wrong with the Black Bay, either.

But keep the Rolex. It's a great watch, and it was a gift.

qtlaw

Reaction score
My dad gave me his two-tone Rolex Datejust, flawless, and got to say it feels so good, great weight. Only problem is wifey is complaining about the sound of auto-winder (for this and my Omega automatic.)

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son. I got ninety nine problems but a watch ain't one.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad gave me his two-tone Rolex Datejust, flawless, and got to say it feels so good, great weight. Only problem is wifey is complaining about the sound of auto-winder (for this and my Omega automatic.)
It might be a good idea to have a watchmaker check it out. Rolex movements generally don’t make any winding noise unless the rotor axle is worn out or damaged.

Reactions: JBZ

Article 26

Reaction score
70A0EC58-4A5E-4034-AA98-BCC9B97D4C1D.jpeg
It might be a good idea to have a watchmaker check it out. Rolex movements generally don’t make any winding noise unless the rotor axle is worn out or damaged.
Eh, Belligero, you may have misinterpreted... possible I have.

See above with regard to watch winder.
@qtlaw move it to a study or non public room, wife won’t know it exists.

pmeis

Reaction score
View attachment 1007012

@qtlaw move it to a study or non public room, wife won’t know it exists.

Yeah, that was my interpretation as well. Yes, either move it to a different room or simply don't use a winder. Doesn't seem like you'd need it for only two watches.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1007012

Yeah, your interpretation seems way more likely. :)

On an up note, bought a steel 116520 on C24, not yet received but looking forward to it!
I bet you are. It’s a great watch, and its movement is a real pleasure to operate. There just aren’t many chronographs that offer such high levels of toughness/reliability and refinement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads